PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions...

Nickosaurus
02-06-2014, 01:34 AM
Is a wardrobe a suitable place to let a finish cure? I've been searching the house for a suitable spot but there is no real place that I can hang my guitar without having to create a jig/potential of dampness.

When staining the body, does one hang the guitar to access the entire body or stain the face first, then back/sides? What's the regular process?

On my guitar's face it has a few small chips as if it was dropped in the factory. They're about 2mm wide/.5mm deep. I've been sanding hard with 120 but they're taking a long time to drop down. I'm worried that I'm creating an uneven surface if I keep hammering these spots, but at the same time I can't think another way of removing them.

Any expert advice? Sorry if these questions seem silly I just want to nail this.

Thanks a lot guys.

keloooe
02-06-2014, 02:16 AM
Q1 - Yeah, should be fine
Q2 - You dont have to hang it, I did for my Strat and it works fine
Q3 - Try Timbermate fillers, they work great and can absorb Wudtone

ultpanzi
02-06-2014, 06:18 AM
For your first question, it should be fine, but what I like to do is put a couple of silica gel packets with the guitar cos they absorb moisture and it helps out a little. For the second one, either way would work, but hanging it is a nice way to check that they back and sides are consistent with the front (if thats what you want). For the third one, sanding hard works and is my preferred method over fillers and its been alright for me so far.

Gavin1393
02-06-2014, 07:40 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Nickosaurus on June 1, 2014, 10:34
Is a wardrobe a suitable place to let a finish cure? I've been searching the house for a suitable spot but there is no real place that I can hang my guitar without having to create a jig/potential of dampness.

When staining the body, does one hang the guitar to access the entire body or stain the face first, then back/sides? What's the regular process?

On my guitar's face it has a few small chips as if it was dropped in the factory. They're about 2mm wide/.5mm deep. I've been sanding hard with 120 but they're taking a long time to drop down. I'm worried that I'm creating an uneven surface if I keep hammering these spots, but at the same time I can't think another way of removing them.

Any expert advice? Sorry if these questions seem silly I just want to nail this.

Thanks a lot guys.

It is all about humidity and moisture, not what you put it in.

I choose to hang mine,.

If the 'damage' is a chip then you will use timbermate, however, if it is actually a dent, then grab your steam iron and a wet cloth, wet the dents ant then place the cloth over the dented area and then use the steam iron over the area as if you were ironing it. If the dents are too small then use the same method described above but use your soldering iron gently on the dented areas.

jarrod
02-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Great tip Gav

Gavin1393
02-06-2014, 09:25 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from jarrod on June 1, 2014, 17:11
Great tip Gav

Brendan and I were talking about point three just yesterday. I remember the Hancock brothers showing me this method after having casually introduced their steam iron into the list of guitar tools. We all thought it was a joke until the dents in the soundboards simply dissappeared!

Nickosaurus
02-06-2014, 10:01 AM
The cupboard in question is in a bedroom that's not really used. It's a bit cool at the moment but we never open the windows in there. Chuck in a few silica packets and should be okay?

Yeah they're definitely chips. So sanding is futile?

I'll have to pick up some Timbermate then. Any tips on using it?

Thanks for the advice dudes.

stan
02-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Timbermate: comes in a container like premix putty. Use as is or thin it a bit with water. Apply to chipped area with a soft flexible applicator - cut out ice cream container lids work well. Let it dry. Gently sand away the bits that dont look like a guitar.

Essentially a water based filler

Brendan
03-06-2014, 02:31 AM
Timbermate's great. If you do end up with some somewhere you don't want it, grab a wet cloth and give it a bit of a wipe - all gone!