PDA

View Full Version : iRig HD or other interface for iPad

Dengreg
24-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I have ordered an iRig HD and was wondering if anyone else has experience with them or any other interface. I am planning to use Amplitude and Garage Band apps.
From the info it seems like a good option for people with limited space and no amp.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Denis

lawry
24-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Hi Dennis. This is what I use with my iPad for recording the band in the field. It is probably overkill for your needs but makes a great portable 'location studio'.
I use a Presonus 1818VSL interface into an iPad app called Auria. For small one-at-a-time recordings I have a Griffin MicConnect and GuitarConnect. I do have a couple of mates that have the iRig and they love 'em. Looking forward to listening to some of your stuff!

DanMade
25-05-2014, 12:04 AM
I've got an iRig HD, Dennis.
As far as a portable and simple interface, it works great. The gain works well to keep levels in check. I've had mine for almost a year and it still works fine after being tossed about.
The sound quality is great compared to the older style that plugs into the headphone jack. I even use mine to connect a microphone or any other instrument that takes a 1/4 in. jack.

As for Apps. I personally don't like Ampltube, it doesn't do much for your sound. I usually use Bias as my go to guitar app, it works alongside Jamup. Basically you build your amp in Bias then use that amp in Jamup to add effects and such.

Amp Kit is also worth a look. It can work out quite expensive once you purchase all the amps and effects, but the sound quality is very good.

A must have app for any iOS musician is Audiobus 2. It allows you to use multiple apps simultaneously. For example I could use Bias as my guitar amp input, >then into another app in the effects slot for a delay, ect. > then into Garage band to record. The possibilities are endless.

I couldn't do without Audiobus.https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/audiobus/id558513570?mt=8

I have a ton of apps I could recommend, but one other that I use all the time is AudioShare https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/audioshare-audio-document/id543859300?mt=8

Audiobus and AudioShare are pretty useless apps on their own, what they are is tools to connect all your other music apps and files so they all work seamlessly together. Must haves really.

keloooe
25-05-2014, 12:16 AM
For me, I (used to) use Audiobus, Garageband, Bias + Jamup for random recordings, gives amazing ease of use with iRig HD!

ultpanzi
25-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Keith Merrow and Jeff Loomis use Jamup and their recordings sound amazing.

Gavin1393
25-05-2014, 01:25 AM
Keep the info. coming. There are some great tips in here. I've been making notes since I bought the I-rig some time ago and then stuffed it in a draw somewhere. going to go and have a look and then fire up the I-pad!

lawry
25-05-2014, 10:57 PM
OK. I know I'm getting off topic a bit here but it is sorta relevant. I'm just wanting to plug the iPad app I use. It's called Auria and is damn powerful. If you are wanting to get deeper into recording than just Garage Band etc. you will need something that can do more. This app is a full-blown DAW and lets you have unlimited tracks (until the CPU smokes), mixdown the audio and edit it and has heaps of standard plugins (you can buy more), etc. Here are a couple of screenshots of a project I am currently working on as well as some links to songs of the band I'm in that were fully recorded and mixed using Auria. It's not cheap for an app but what you get is powerful. And being an app, all updates are free! I can't recommend it enough.

For some reason every time in type in the URL it puts in brackets etc. Just copy the stuff between the quotation marks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106050431/Veneno.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106050431/Misirlou.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106050431/Strange.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106050431/Senor%20el%20trompetto.mp3

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/3q292-image.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/003z1-image.jpg

DanMade
26-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Yes, Auria is the real deal.

Garage band is just a toy compared to Auria.

vh2580
09-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Has anyone used or know anyone who is using the Line 6 Sonic Port and how it compares to irig

bargeloobs
09-06-2014, 11:49 PM
[quote]/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from lawry on May 25, 2014, 07:57
OK. I know I'm getting off topic a bit here but it is sorta relevant. I'm just wanting to plug the iPad app I use. It's called Auria and is damn powerful. If you are wanting to get deeper into recording than just Garage Band etc. you will need something that can do more. This app is a full-blown DAW and lets you have unlimited tracks (until the CPU smokes), mixdown the audio and edit it and has heaps of standard plugins (you can buy more), etc. Here are a couple of screenshots of a project I am currently working on as well as some links to songs of the band I'm in that were fully recorded and mixed using Auria. It's not cheap for an app but what you get is powerful. And being an app, all updates are free! I can't recommend it enough.

Just had a quick listen to "Veneno", shit that's a slick recording alright. What sort of interface are you using into your Mac?

lawry
10-06-2014, 04:12 AM
Thanks man.
I use a Presonus 1818vsl USB interface which gives me 8 preamps with phantom power if needed. I also have a Behringer ADA8000 8 channel preamp that I can connect into the Presonus via an ADAT light pipe to give me a total of 16 inputs. The iPad and Auria don't even break a sweat doing 16 tracks at once in 24/96 although I usually use 44kHz.

bargeloobs
10-06-2014, 04:57 AM
"a total of 16 inputs", yeah perfect, that's all you'll ever need unless you want to start recording orchestras or something stupid. Naa the drums sound really clean, and overall nice separation and transparency within the mix, sounds pro mate!

ozzbike
23-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Guys,

I have an ipad air 2....and I have just bought I-Rig HD and it is in the post. I have been playing with and trying to learn garageband and amplitube. (Will be easier with an interafce between the guitar and the i-pad.)

How have your experiences been with these devices and software?

Yes I have read the thread....I am just a hacker and something like this is a step up from the NOTHING I have now.....no MAC for a start.

andrewdosborne
23-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Guys,

I have an ipad air 2....and I have just bought I-Rig HD and it is in the post. I have been playing with and trying to learn garageband and amplitube. (Will be easier with an interafce between the guitar and the i-pad.)

How have your experiences been with these devices and software?

Yes I have read the thread....I am just a hacker and something like this is a step up from the NOTHING I have now.....no MAC for a start.

I got one for Xmas. I'm using with an iPad 2 and the JamUp Pro XT app and very happy with the result. Excellent just for the sheer convenience of it's portability and makes my Fender amp almost redundant for practice purposes.

stan
23-01-2015, 05:39 PM
What sort of Fender amp Andrew?

I have a 1974 Fender Twin Reverb

andrewdosborne
23-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Champion 100 and an original G-Dec that has been relegated to a mic amp and output for Garageband.

kimball492
29-01-2015, 06:36 AM
There's a lot of recording devices you can use with Auria and the ipad .
I use the Rme Babyface , and the focusrite Scarlett as long as you use external power supply on the interface your good to go

Contacting Support
Email: support@auriaapp.com
Forum: Auria Web Forum

Auria User Guide: Download it here

Frequently Asked Questions
What are the differences between iPad models in terms of Auria performance?

1st Generation iPad
2nd Generation iPad
3rd Generation iPad
Track Count
Subgroups
Aux Delay Compensation
No
Yes
Yes
Sample Rates Supported
44.1/48 kHz
44.1/48/96 kHz
44.1/48/96 kHz

What kind of audio interfaces work with Auria?

Auria supports two main categories of audio hardware, the iPad’s built-in internal I/O (Speaker, Mic, and 3.5mm headphone mini-jack), and external audio interfaces connected through the 30-pin MFi port (either directly or through the Camera Connection Kit, which enables USB devices).

What are the iPad's built-in options?

Speaker
Microphone
3.5mm mini-jack – Includes both mono input plus stereo out.

What kinds of external devices can be used?

Auria supports external audio interfaces through the 30-pin dock connector (or MFi). There are two types of devices which can be connected through this port:

MFi - These interfaces connect directly to the 30-pin MFi connector. One popular example is the Apogee Jam.
USB Class 2 Compliant interfaces - These require an Apple Camera Connection Kit connected between the iPad and interface. Examples include the RME Fireface UCX, Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL, and the Focusrite Scarlett series interfaces. See our Interfaces page for more information.

Auria is not recording any incoming audio with iOS 7.

iOS 7 can block all audio inputs (from both the microphone and from interfaces) to an app unless it is specifically allowed. When first opening an app under iOS7 a pop-up asks, "Auria would like to access the microphone." If "Don't Allow" is selected then all audio input to Auria is blocked. To fix this open iPad Settings, go to General, then Privacy, then Microphone. Find Auria in the list and enable access by tapping the slider so it is green.

ozzbike
29-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Wow guys.....I am having fun just pluggin around.....like the free stuff.....still learning.

I did notice that there is a long lag using airplay to put the output up on my TV with surround sound. Using a headphone is fine.

Still learning and loving it.