PDA

View Full Version : Fingerboard...

Nickosaurus
23-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Hey guys,

I've read back through a few threads on this topic however nothing has really covered what I'm asking.

I'm building an STA1M with the full maple neck. I've also got some wudtone vintage yellow.

On the guitar I want the fretboard to take the yellowed look too. I've seen DB advise against using the Wudtone on the fretboard however I feel if I just dyed the neck and not the board it would look weird.

What should I do here? Apply it the same as on the neck?

Also, should I be sanding between the frets prior to applying dye?

Cheers

MetalMatt
23-05-2014, 06:50 AM
I did Wudtone Vintage Yellow on both neck and fretboard on my 2nd build (below) as I had the same dilemma as you at the time and it came out ok. The only issue with mine was I changed the black marker dots for MOP ones before I applied the Vintage Yellow and it discoloured them somewhat so I had to try and wipe the stain off the dots before it dried (probably wouldn't be an issue with black dots)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/oldval/stratocaster/surferstrat2.jpg

Gavin1393
23-05-2014, 07:49 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Nickosaurus on May 22, 2014, 15:00
Hey guys,

I've read back through a few threads on this topic however nothing has really covered what I'm asking.

I'm building an STA1M with the full maple neck. I've also got some wudtone vintage yellow.

On the guitar I want the fretboard to take the yellowed look too. I've seen DB advise against using the Wudtone on the fretboard however I feel if I just dyed the neck and not the board it would look weird.

What should I do here? Apply it the same as on the neck?

Also, should I be sanding between the frets prior to applying dye?

Cheers

Actually the question has been asked a number of time and answered by DB and myself as many times.

Short answer, neither DB nor I would do it simply because a fretboard needs to be slick and allow the fingers to run amok on the fretboard. Wudtone ON the fretboard will slow it down. rather use a fretboard conditioner and some amber dye to get the look you are after.

Nickosaurus
23-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Apologies Gav, musn't have looked hard enough.

Thanks for the advice guys. This build will begin shortly see keep your eyes peeled in the build diaries! 2 more weeks of uni placement and I'll be free to build. Some exciting things will be happening with this neck too ;)

west0288
23-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Hey Nick, I'm building a Mockingbird kit with an exquisite maple fret board, and have been wondering how to finish mine too.

Let me know what you end up going with mate; I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers. :)

ihasmario
23-05-2014, 12:46 PM
I put some of the wudtone from the neck finishing kit on my fretboard, and then sanded it flat and finished the fretboard. I am not a super guitar player, but it's worth noting that the fretboard in my case took a lot longer to dry off than the rest of the neck, and also took the stain a lot deeper. Meaning that you will have a "damp" and slow feeling fretboard for quite a while.

It's also mentioning that you will scratch up the dots slightly while sanding - and the scratches are harder to buff out as they will catch the light.

If you take it really slow with the curing time, I think you can end up with a slick-as-fresh fretboard. You can clean up the dots with some steel wool (or some extremely fine sandpaper) with some ax wax. If you do go ahead, just keep the curing time in mind, as it will be really spongey and slow until it has properly dried, unlike the rest of the neck which does not take long at all IMHO.

TheDangerMan
24-05-2014, 03:08 AM
I put the clear finish on my fingerboard and neck and it plays great!
Although I can see how putting the coloured neck finishes on the fingerboard could make the neck play ability a bit more 'thicker'