PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Push/Pull pot uses

ultpanzi
21-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Hi everyone, I'm planning out a build for a nice seven string electric fit for playing music ready to raise the dead from their graves. I have 1 p/p pot to be used cos I'm only having a volume control. I was considering a vol/tne p/p but I've rejected that cos I dont use the tone. Atm, Im considering a coil split p/p in the case that I ever need it if I play non metal songs. So, I was just wondering, what are your favourite uses for it??

wokkaboy
21-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Eshays,
thats the only use I'd use a push pull pot to split the coils in a humbucker.
I've got 2 p/p pots for my Ibanez scratch build, so one vol pot and one tone pot and each will split the neck and bridge pup coils

WeirdBits
21-05-2014, 04:23 AM
Is this for an IB-7? Depending on your preferences I'd pick coil split, phase switching, or a parallel/series link between pickups, in that order.

Or, you could just do it as a volume bypass which should give you a slightly brighter wide-open sound, or maybe even have a fixed cap and resistor to give you a set tone cut etc.

ultpanzi
21-05-2014, 07:02 AM
@Wokka, Im planning on doing a bypass into the three way selector so i can have all the coil split options from the three way.
@Scott, Im planning out (and saving up for) a custom IB-7. I have the Seymour Duncan blower switch in some of my other guitars (bypasses volume and control) but I find I dont really use it that much because my modelling amp pretty much gives the exact sounds I want and when I want a different tone then I add a setting in my amp and it does it for me. The set tone cut sounds cool, out of interest, how would I wire that??

WeirdBits
21-05-2014, 07:38 AM
It would just be like a fixed tone control, with a cap and resistor connecting to ground. Basically, you would choosing a cap with the frequency cut-off you want and a fixed value resistor instead of a tone pot to control how much signal goes to ground. Best to set it up with some clip leads with a 500K pot and test different cap values to find the values that you like, then measure your pot setting and find a matching resistor, ie. you may find that a 0.015uf cap with a 100K resistor gives you the tone you want etc. You could even use a trim pot If you wanted to tweak it.

Once you have the values you want then you just wire your output 'hot' to the middle lug on the push/pull and the cap & resistor in series between the 'on' lug of the push/pull and ground etc.

ultpanzi
21-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks Scott!! That sounds pretty interesting, I might try it out on some of my other guitars and see how it goes.