PDA

View Full Version : Custom Control Plates...

ihasmario
20-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Hi everyone,

Sooner or later the postman is going to deliver to me a blank, black control plate that I will be drilling into. I have a few questions.

What is the best way to determine the required mounting hole size, is it the inside diameter of the mounting nut?

What is the best way to drill into these steel plates? Are there specific drill bits that will work better? High torque drill, or low? And impact or regular? Any other tips for avoiding injury? Besides stuff like wearing thick clothes (eg jeans) and screwing it down into scrap wood.

Otherwise I'll be bugging pablo to make me a plastic one, if this fails.

:?

dingobass
20-05-2014, 08:10 AM
The hole should be 1/2mm larger than the outside diameter of the threaded shaft.
You will need a high speed bit for steel, a centre punch to mark the hole location and to keep the bit from wandering off.
Also, drill the hole on the reverse side so if it does wander you wont bugger up the face!

ultpanzi
20-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Not sure about the mounting hole size, I dont have experience but always centrepunch your holes before drilling to prevent the bit from slipping and scratching your plate. Use a drill bit meant for metal, it helps. Use a hard scrap piece of wood for a cleaner hole. Ive always drilled metal with the bit spinning pretty fast, not sure if thats the right way but its worked for me. Tips for avoiding injury, watch your eyes, theyre easy to lose. Watch your hands etc etc. Just use common sense and safety equipment. Have fun.

stan
20-05-2014, 08:25 AM
use a flat vice like the type used for drill presses (i assume you are using a hand held drill).
The reason being that if the bit grabs in the metal, it will spin the entire piece at rapid speed, you can imagine the potential for pain

Brendan
20-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Have recently used one of these to drill through some ally in an effects pedal case...

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608006368124012525&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Can't speak highly enough of them. Worked like a dream with the aluminium. Mind you, it's a whole lot softer than steel.

Hillsy
21-05-2014, 07:26 AM
I've got one of those step bits brendan, never grabs and will do steel no problem, a must have tool for sure.

My safety tip, never brush the bits away with your bare hand, think razor blades.

Brendan
21-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Good tip Hillsy. Was a bit dubious of the bit to start with, but full convert now.

ihasmario
03-06-2014, 09:18 AM
I gave the bit a go and it worked real good. Need to try again though as my rough sketch up was off.