PDA

View Full Version : Pitbull guitar stock parts

TheDangerMan
19-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Hey guys,

So i'm doing up another tele partscaster (as I have recently acquired a sweet tele body) and ill be getting a tele neck from pitbull guitars but I was wondering, can I get the parts that come with a TL-1 pack except the body ? Or is that something that would be easier to just source myself?
The main things i'm after are the bridge, machine heads, screws etc. Pickups wouldnt be required.

Thanks in advance :)
TheDangerMan

dingobass
19-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Mate, I am sure we can rustle up the bitz you need out of my collection of spares.
If you can send me your email address to dingobass@pitbullguitars.com I can let you know tomoz arvo.
I will discuss this with Adam to work out a price for you.

stan
20-05-2014, 01:32 AM
that is why the pitbull team are the best

TheDangerMan
20-05-2014, 01:47 AM
Stan- I know right! Got a reply from DB on a sunday night!
Cant get better customer service than that!

DB- Cheers again DB :)

adam
20-05-2014, 06:26 AM
If you want them in Black or Gold, you can buy the Bridge and Machine Heads from our eStore (under "Upgrades").

If you want Chrome, then let's hope DB can rustle up some chrome parts.

DrNomis_44
11-01-2015, 03:33 AM
Thought I would post a question here as this seems to be the most appropriate thread, anyway, my question is this:

I have a Fender Mexican Standard Stratocaster with an all maple 21 fret neck which I bought off eBay the year before last year, I had a problem with one of the strings sounding more like a sitar and I found the problem was the nut on the neck, hoping to fix the problem I tried installing a Fender LSR roller nut, it seemed to work fine but I have been getting the sitaring from the same string again, turned out to be a problem with the LSR nut, so I have decided to try replacing the neck altogether, would an all maple strat neck from Pittbull guitars fit my Strat's neck pocket?, any help much appreciated.

bargeloobs
11-01-2015, 04:03 AM
Thought I would post a question here as this seems to be the most appropriate thread, anyway, my question is this:

I have a Fender Mexican Standard Stratocaster with an all maple 21 fret neck which I bought off eBay the year before last year, I had a problem with one of the strings sounding more like a sitar and I found the problem was the nut on the neck, hoping to fix the problem I tried installing a Fender LSR roller nut, it seemed to work fine but I have been getting the sitaring from the same string again, turned out to be a problem with the LSR nut, so I have decided to try replacing the neck altogether, would an all maple strat neck from Pittbull guitars fit my Strat's neck pocket?, any help much appreciated.

In short...no.

DrNomis_44
11-01-2015, 05:44 AM
In short...no.

No worries, cheers.

I'll have to see if I can buy a replacement neck on eBay then.

stan
11-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Hey DrN,

if you dont mind ordering from the States, Warmoth (?spelling) and Mighty Mite are your best bests. They seem to get good reviews and and good build consistency. Both sell on eBay as well

Excuse me if you have posted this anywhere else, but have you tried things like:
New strings, Checked bridge saddle(s), String heights etc.

bargeloobs
11-01-2015, 06:20 AM

What string is giving you the problems?
Does it only chime when strumming open or when fretted too and if so does it chime all the way up the neck?
Have the frets been leveled at all (could be something as simple as a high fret)?
Don't spose you could post an audio clip of the "said" noise, And maybe some pics of the guitar itself, fretboard, action and the nut.
Have you considered the issue maybe coming from the tremolo?

I'm sure (and I bet others would agree) this would be fixable without having to replace the neck. I know mighty mite necks are pretty pricey and there's still no guarantee you'll get a decent fit. It's just a matter of working through the issues, probably starting with a good bone nut but there's definitely others on here more qualified to get to the bottom of this than me.

DrNomis_44
11-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Hey DrN,

if you dont mind ordering from the States, Warmoth (?spelling) and Mighty Mite are your best bests. They seem to get good reviews and and good build consistency. Both sell on eBay as well

Excuse me if you have posted this anywhere else, but have you tried things like:
New strings, Checked bridge saddle(s), String heights etc.

Yep, tried all those things and found that it was definitely the LSR Roller Nut causing the open high E-String to buzz like a sitar, basically the little neoprene dampener was raising the string up a little bit and the string was buzzing against the ball-bearings.

A Fender LSR Nut is different to a traditional Strat nut in that each of the strings rests on two steel ball-bearings, this is to eliminate friction that causes tuning stability problems when using the trem arm to raise/lower the pitch of a note being played, on the headstock side of an LSR Nut next to each pair of ball-bearings is a neoprene rubber string dampener, this is to stop the length of the string going to the tuner from resonating when you pluck the string.

bargeloobs
11-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Yep, tried all those things and found that it was definitely the LSR Roller Nut causing the open high E-String to buzz like a sitar, basically the little neoprene dampener was raising the string up a little bit and the string was buzzing against the ball-bearings.

A Fender LSR Nut is different to a traditional Strat nut in that each of the strings rests on two steel ball-bearings, this is to eliminate friction that causes tuning stability problems when using the trem arm to raise/lower the pitch of a note being played, on the headstock side of an LSR Nut next to each pair of ball-bearings is a neoprene rubber string dampener, this is to stop the length of the string going to the tuner from resonating when you pluck the string.

In that case I would have though a replacement nut would make more sense than a replacement neck...

DrNomis_44
11-01-2015, 07:32 AM
In that case I would have though a replacement nut would make more sense than a replacement neck...

Yeah, I guess, I do happen to have a Bone nut for a Strat, the only problem is that when I installed the LSR Nut, I had to widen the nut-trench out towards the first fret so that the LSR Nut would fit, just been thinking of how I could salvage the situation so I could use the Bone nut, what I might try doing is cutting a piece of maple wood from another neck I've got (the neck has a little screw in it which I can't remove since the head broke off) and use the piece of wood to make the nut-trench narrow enough so that the Bone nut can fit.

bargeloobs
11-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I guess, I do happen to have a Bone nut for a Strat, the only problem is that when I installed the LSR Nut, I had to widen the nut-trench out towards the first fret so that the LSR Nut would fit, just been thinking of how I could salvage the situation so I could use the Bone nut, what I might try doing is cutting a piece of maple wood from another neck I've got (the neck has a little screw in it which I can't remove since the head broke off) and use the piece of wood to make the nut-trench narrow enough so that the Bone nut can fit.

Yeah, or get a nut cut that fits the slot. DB could jimmy you one up and it'd still be far cheaper than a replacement neck, not to mention easier and cleaner than trying to muck round with a shim.
dingobass@pitbullguitars.com

stan
11-01-2015, 07:53 AM
good idea Bargy, simply a hand made wide nut

DrNomis_44
11-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Yeah, or get a nut cut that fits the slot. DB could jimmy you one up and it'd still be far cheaper than a replacement neck, not to mention easier than trying to muck round with a messy shim.
dingobass@pitbullguitars.com

Well, if I could post the neck off to him and he could cut a nut for it, that would be cool, I'll have to send him an email and have a yarn to him about it and see what he reckons, I'm not too fussed about not being able to play the Strat while he has the neck as I've got a few other guitars I can play in the meantime, for example, a nice Gibson USA Les Paul Studio I bought last year as a Birthday/Christmas present.

He doesn't have to do any string-slot filing since I have a set of 6 Nut-Slot files in 42-09 gauge (the string gauge I use on the Strat), so I can file the slots myself.

bargeloobs
11-01-2015, 08:04 AM
I imagine he'd be more than happy to get you back on track if you drop him a line. Hell at the end of the day if he knew the width of the modified slot you might not even have to post off the neck, like you say, you'll just have to shoot him a message and see what he reckons:-)

DrNomis_44
11-01-2015, 08:12 AM
I imagine he'd be more than happy to get you back on track if you drop him a line. Hell at the end of the day if he knew the width of the modified slot you might not even have to post off the neck, like you say, you'll just have to shoot him a message and see what he reckons:-)

It'll probably work out cheaper, I think a neck from eBay could set me back as much as $300.00 or more, not to mention packaging and posting, okay then, I'll send him an email and see how it goes, but I'll make sure to measure the trench width first beforehand, cheers for that mate, much appreciated.

bargeloobs
11-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Good luck with that!!

Brendan
11-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Alternatively - grab yourself a bone nut for a Gibbo - not sure how wide your slot is now, but the Gibbo one should be wide enough - if not - fill on the headstock side of the nut with some thing - Paua shell or something like that - make a feature of the remaining gap... If you've got the files, you may be able to fix it yourself with a bit of sanding...

DrNomis_44
15-01-2015, 11:06 PM
What string is giving you the problems?
Does it only chime when strumming open or when fretted too and if so does it chime all the way up the neck?
Have the frets been leveled at all (could be something as simple as a high fret)?
Don't spose you could post an audio clip of the "said" noise, And maybe some pics of the guitar itself, fretboard, action and the nut.
Have you considered the issue maybe coming from the tremolo?

I'm sure (and I bet others would agree) this would be fixable without having to replace the neck. I know mighty mite necks are pretty pricey and there's still no guarantee you'll get a decent fit. It's just a matter of working through the issues, probably starting with a good bone nut but there's definitely others on here more qualified to get to the bottom of this than me.

It's mostly the high E-String, and to a lesser extent the B-String, I traced the problem to the LSR Nut, basically what was happening was that the string was vibrating against one of the ball bearings and causing the sitar-buzzing, I since tried replacing the LSR Nut with a bone nut I had but that necessitated narrowing the slot, anyway I had to file the nut slots in the bone nut down to get the 1st fret action right, but things went pear shaped, looks like I'm going to have to replace the neck after all as I think it's gone bad, I've ruled out it being the bridge as it's a Super Vee Bladerunner bridge, since my Strat is in an unplayable condition now I can't record a soundclip of the sitar-noise, I can't also post any pics as my Digital Camera is not working properly anymore and needs replacing.

I might have to cut my losses and completely replace my Mexican Strat.

Might be a good excuse for me to buy and build a Strat kit this year.

kimball492
08-02-2015, 10:37 AM
I've heard that sitar sound on one of my guitars it was down to the guitar not having a string tree on the headstock . Maybe you already have one but worth a check mine actually had one but it didn't sit low enough to make the string ring true. Once I lowered the string tree all was good .

Hope it helps
Kimball

wolfred
05-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Hi all,
What are the stock bass tuners like? About to get IB-5.
I hadn't used kit tuners on my previous two builds, but this last time I thought I'd give em a try. (LP-1M)
Talk about shite!
One was very stiff, which I could excuse, but another had a full half turn of slack in adjustment.
Of course I immediately bought replacements (Wilkinsons from Realparts), and fortunately the screw holes matched.
But it would be a pain to leave holes because of necessary replacements.
Any bass players out there care to comment?

pablopepper
05-08-2016, 08:20 AM
They are a bit of a crapshoot unfortunately. I've had a set that has worked perfectly and a set where one almost seized up as soon as it had tension put on it. But, that was with the vintage style open gear tuners. The sealed tuners that come with the IB-5 are generally a bit more forgiving. That said, nine times out of ten I put upgraded tuners on from the get go.