PDA

View Full Version : Touch off topic, but...

Brendan
16-05-2014, 01:23 PM
All,
My daughter has been tasked with finding a blues sax player from between the 1930's and 60's. Given that blues from the 30's to 60's aren't really my ouvre, was thinking to put the word out to see if anyone in the crowd has some names that I might look towards. Gut feeling is that the rest of the class will be going to our friend Mr Google and getting the top name off that, so if there's someone special that you may recommend, could you drop me a line? I managed to score last time, finding Lorde's Royals on contrabass and alto sax (worth a look if only for the contrabass sax :) ).

Not wanting to do her homework for her - she still needs to like the sax parts, but it'd be good to have some names to point towards...

Cheers. :D

pablopepper
16-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Not exactly a jazz guy, but some names off the top of my head. Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins. Probably no help, I only know the real general knowledge stuff.

stan
17-05-2014, 12:31 AM
pablo has named the top 3 right off the bat.
Stan Getz, Johnny Hodges would be the next big 2

Fretworn
17-05-2014, 02:27 AM
Most of the guys mentioned here are really jazz players, You will probably need someone like Big Jay McNeely or A.C.Reed for true blues sax players.

lawry
17-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Hmmm. Parker, Coltrane & Rollins were the ones I thought of straight of the bat too. But they're more jazz than blues. Not that I doubt they couldn't do it.
As an aside, I used to be in a jazz band and the saxophonist (Alan Leishman) used to say that 'rock and roll is just jazz with the music taken out'. I still quote that, as can be proved by re-reading the previous sentence.

Brendan
17-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks heaps guys - quick Wiki search turned up enough on them that she'll be stoked. Looks like she'll be a fan of Jump Blues - never heard of it to tonight!

lawry
17-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Maybe you could ask her to post a thread on what she finds! I'd certainly be interested to read about it. After all, it never hurts to know more about musical roots. And blues is cool.
8-)

Brendan
18-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Will do.