PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Amp heads

TheDangerMan
16-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Hey lads,

Not sure whether this qualifies for this part of the forum but its a question which I've wanted to ask for a long time regarding line out in combo amps/heads.

Now, I run pretty exclusively into a mixing desk whenever I gig/practice so I always use my line out. Im not interested in getting a mic setup however if an amp doesn't come with a line out im kinda screwed. My question is, if an amp doesnt have a Line out, can I use an FX loop send or equivalent?

Thanks for the help :)
TheDangerMan

ultpanzi
17-05-2014, 01:32 AM
IF you still have a way to amplify the signal before the signal reaches the start of the mixer. Thats really the point of an amp. So yes, you can do that if you use another form of amplification coming off your fx loop.

pablopepper
17-05-2014, 02:13 AM
If you just use the send of your effects loop, it will cut the signal to your speakers meaning you can't use it as a monitor. I guess if you had a DI box with a send and return you could complete the loop.

lawry
17-05-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm with Pablo. If you take a line from your FX OUT it cuts the signal because the amp expects the signal to return via the FX IN. The best way is to use a DI box. But... It won't give you the same sound that your amp outputs because the effects of the speaker and amp settings are not in-circuit. IMHO, putting an SM57/58 in front of the speaker is the best way to amplify your true sound.

I'll get off my box now.