PDA

View Full Version : Ageing New Parts?

keloooe
15-05-2014, 02:05 AM
hey guys, I am looking to relic / wear the parts on the StratoPester, but how might I SAFELY go about doing this?

Also looking for a solution to ageing the pickguard fast.

Fretworn
15-05-2014, 02:14 AM
https://books.jbhifi.com.au/Book/how-to-build-electric-guitars-the-complete-gu-will-kelly/202837?gclid=CPvinI-4qr4CFceUvQodvS8A1Q

Find, buy, borrow this book. He gives a fairly extensive run through on the relic-ing process. (My local library has it and I've read it a number of times.)

ihasmario
15-05-2014, 03:56 AM
If you are looking to age any wood parts, acetic acid + steel wool does a good job

ultpanzi
15-05-2014, 04:49 AM
If youre looking to age a neck, a little fine sandpaper followed by a rub of graphite dust on the fretboard does it really nicely and also slightly increases the playability of the neck (in my opinion). And then a bit of sanding on the back of the neck to expose a little raw wood and playing will let your skin oils do the rest.

keloooe
15-05-2014, 05:11 AM
@ihasmario I'm not looking at wood parts, I need ageing advice on chrome / nickel parts
@ultpanzi yeah, I am going to try that tomorrow

dingobass
15-05-2014, 05:26 AM
Tie them to a length of string and drag them around the block behind your pushbike... Then soak them in a solution of salt water and vinegar for a week then hang em up to dry.
When dry, give them a buff with steel wool and presto! Aged hardware!
Note: this wont work on the pickguard ;)

wokkaboy
15-05-2014, 05:34 AM
HAHA Love that technique DB, have you tried this method ?
With the hills around your place might come back with 3 saddles on the bridge missing !
Can I get a 1 hour leave pass from the NR to try this DB?

wokkaboy
15-05-2014, 05:45 AM
actually DB you might want to try this technique with pickguards but tie the string to the back of the car. We all know how much of a pickguard fan DB is !

ultpanzi
15-05-2014, 06:18 AM
For hardware try getting some coarse-ish sandpaper and putting in a few light scratches into the hardware in places that usually get banged up and arent vital to intonation, tuning, etc, then rub a little graphite powder in.

pablopepper
15-05-2014, 07:33 AM
For the pickguard, tape off the section that will be under the strings and rub it on some carpet to to scuff it up a teensy bit. Take the tape off and rub on some brown shoe polish (the hard old school stuff) or really strong coffee. This should lightly build up a 'used' look.

dingobass
15-05-2014, 07:56 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on May 14, 2014, 14:34
HAHA Love that technique DB, have you tried this method ?
With the hills around your place might come back with 3 saddles on the bridge missing !
Can I get a 1 hour leave pass from the NR to try this DB?

Nah, just taking the pee in regards to dragging it around the block :)

But I have seen the salty water and vinegar method used, you just need to remove some of the chrome to allow it to work.... A wire wheel on a bench grinder would do it..

wokkaboy
15-05-2014, 08:04 AM
DB taking the Pee ? I don't believe that !
yer I thought dragging hardware on the road was pretty harsh pardon the pun.
So do I still get the one hour leave pass DB ?

dingobass
15-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Yeah, OK Woks. you get to do the Pizza run ;)

wokkaboy
16-05-2014, 12:55 AM
oh gee thanks DB, I thought that was AJ's job, I'll be busy changing keg lines as its getting crowded in the NR and alot of thirsty operators