PDA

View Full Version : Super basic question - Pickup wiring

TheDangerMan
09-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Hey guys,

So I have no idea how pickups are wired (well I do know a very small amount after watching the TL1 wiring vid) and have a question.

I have a TL1 kit with stock pickups. Now... What is the wire that appears to be sticking out of the bottom of the pickup and does it need to be soldered anywhere? Sorry, that is probably the equivalent of asking a mechanic if the engine goes in the engine bay... but it was loose when I pulled it from the box and the neck pickup appears to be earthed on the pickup..?

Anywho, any advice would be tops
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/tit59-photo-2.JPG

Brendan
09-05-2014, 03:43 PM
DM,
Have just sent an email to the Gavmeister who I know has played around with the inner wirings of the TL pups. He should be along within the next day or so and give some advice that may help. In the meantime, hang tight - help's not far away!

lawry
09-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Hi DM, it looks like it is just a grounding wire to the metal base. This is to stop the pup from picking up hum. It should be there.

dingobass
09-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Wot Lawry said :)

Gavin1393
09-05-2014, 10:48 PM
The pickup should have two wires running inside of the red wire, a hot and a ground wire.

There is a oaks grigsby 4 way switch that loves this pickup and produces a 4th fatter sound for your tele.
Minor modification to the neck pickup is necessary for this setup.
So, where the ground on a Tele is usually made by the wire you referenced coming into contact with the metal baseplate, you can cut this connection and then extend the wire to connect directly with the switch. stewMac has all the info and diagrams if you search on their 4 way switch. I can recommend this.

TheDangerMan
09-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Hey guys thanks heaps for the feedback.
So the grounding wire (Circled in red) should be soldered to the baseplate of the pickup? Didnt appear to be soldered too well, so I guess ill just soldering it back onto the baseplate. Thanks again!

Also, sounds great Gavin but I might have to leave that for my next tele build ;)
Still trying to figure the basics out as yet!

wokkaboy
10-05-2014, 12:41 AM
good idea Dangerman, make sure that bare wire is soldered to the base.
Just make sure the end of the red wire should have 2 wires - the bare wire is the earth wire and the sheathed wire is the 'hot' wire should be soldered to the switch

TheDangerMan
10-05-2014, 04:18 AM
Yeah cool Wokkaboy
I thought as much but I always want to be super sure
Especially as this is my first soldering job.. Ever haha