PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Thailand...

gbaucom
06-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Hi,

I'm an American living and working in Thailand. I have some fairly strong wood working skills as a hobbyist, and have considered doing a musical instrument as a project.

My 8yo son wants to learn to play "electric guitar." I've already coached him on the need to learn some of the basics on an acoustic guitar, which I already own, before trying to tackle an electric unit. Having said that, if he shows promise and wants to step up, I'd like for us to build him an electric unit together.

My question is...which unit is more suitable for a beginner player? I mean, I could look around the site to try to find a model that has less buttons and knobs, but if there is someone out there with more experience as a player, perhaps a quick note pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Glenn

adam
06-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Hi Glenn,

I have some 3/4 size "Strat" style kits due here next week. We ordered these specifically for the Father and Son project (or Father/Daughter, Mother/Son, etc). The price will be around $120.00.

I don't have any photos yet, but it will be the standard basswood body, maple neck with rosewood neck, 3 pickups on a white pickguard.

I will post some photos on the forum when they arrive.

Shipping to Thailan

wokkaboy
06-05-2014, 11:47 PM
welcome Glenn to the forum, a 3/4 size strat kit sounds perfect for the smaller hands of an 8yo and when he outgrows that you can build a full size kit for him. Warning that building kit guitars is addictive ! Not many builders stop at their first !

stan
07-05-2014, 10:57 AM
welcome and enjoy the build.
the 3/4 strat sounds perfect.
If you want more simplicity consider the LP Junior kit - only one pickup to deal with...

lawry
07-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Agreed as stated. I would have loved to have made a 3/4 with my son when he was 8. I reckon this would be a fantastic project for you, Glenn. Have fun and enjoy your build whatever you choose. Cheers.

Brendan
07-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Glenn - all that said - I've got a 9 year old girl who just demonstrated that she can comfortably reach the nut on my SG while seated - if your son can handle the length of your acoustic neck then you are open to whatever you want. In terms of knobs and dials, etc., most will have only limited impact - as a beginner, the sound won't be massively different - so don't let the number of knobs distract you. That will give you a massive range to choose from - though good ones to start with are the Teles and Strats - both are easy to build and have limited soldering required. Probably steer clear of the ES's - they are a bit more complex to wire as all components need to be fed through the "f" hole. One of the guys on the forum (GavinTurner) even gave his son the choice - ended up with a Warlock (from memory), but his kid seemed stoked with the outcome. Whatever way you go, there's heaps of help here so - take lots of photos, drop us a line and have a ball!

ihasmario
10-05-2014, 02:09 AM
+1 on the 3/4. In fact, if you have a steel string acoustic, I think the electric will actually be easier to learn and develop skills on because electrics are much easier on the fingers, in my opinion.

adam
10-05-2014, 08:21 AM
FWIW, as far as teaching very young kids, the very best starting guitar would be a 3/4 size nylon string "classical" guitar. You can pick these up on eBay for less than Dingobass spends on spilling Wild Turkey (in one night).

It has the benefit of 1) a nice wide neck to fit clumsy kiddie fingers 2) a low, easy action (it's easy to press the strings down) 3) they're nice and quiet (maybe this should be #1) 4) even the really cheap ones sound ok.

From there, go straight to the 3/4 Electric or full size if they are big enough to reach the nut with ease.

Steel string acoustics are hard work for little ones (and me) and should be avoided.