PDA

View Full Version : A Special Challenge

keloooe
30-04-2014, 02:45 AM
Hey guys, I have a request for a diagram.
I want to design a setup with a 6 way rotary switch, with the following selections

Pos 1: Rocksong Bridge
Pos 2: Bridge + Rebel 90
Pos 3: Rebel 90
Pos 4: Rebel 90 + Rocksong neck
Pos 5: rocksong Neck
Pos 6: Bridge + Neck

Now I know how to wire it, but I want to have full chrome hardware, and using a Tele knob to select the positions. I would love to use a 9V battery to light up LEDs to show which position it is in.

Any diagrams get "Get Out Of The Naughty Room" cards for 15 years! :P

Fretworn
30-04-2014, 02:48 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 29, 2014, 11:45
Any diagrams get "Get Out Of The Naughty Room" cards for 15 years! :P

Pest, have you been raiding DB's cupboards?

wokkaboy
30-04-2014, 02:53 AM
crikey Pest thats going to be a challenge but sure wiring gurus Weirdy or Lozza can help you with LED's showing the position of the switch, that's a cool idea.
I've seen DB's cupboards and a get out of the naughty room for 15 years card doesn't exist. The longest leave pass is 2 weeks !

keloooe
30-04-2014, 02:55 AM
Nah they are lying around the Pest Cave, I have no idea how they got there...
Oh and I meant a 15 year supply, not 15 year cards!

wokkaboy
30-04-2014, 02:57 AM
oh ok Pest, I think DB mistakenly sent these get out of NR cards instead of his business cards, can you please post a couple to me Pest, I haven't seen much daylight lately - been in the NR for almost 12 months now !

ihasmario
30-04-2014, 03:40 AM
All you would have to do is use the appropriate multi-wafer rotary switch (which triggers both) and then have your power supply (battery) running through a resistor, to the respective pin, through the LED and then back to the battery. Just lay it out like your selector.

You can build your own stacked rotary switches from single wafers, if you can't find the appropriate switch.As far as I can tell from your description anyway, it looks like you are using a 4P6T (?) rotary switch. All you would need is at least 5P6T and then just copy your circuit.

It seems like you have already got your selector circuit, right? Or am I misunderstanding you and you need help with that too?

keloooe
30-04-2014, 04:02 AM
Yeah, I need help understanding the rotary switch too haha.
And if it is possible with a 4 Pole without modding it then it would be great, I have one lying around somewhere.

ihasmario
30-04-2014, 04:17 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from keloooe on April 29, 2014, 13:02
Yeah, I need help understanding the rotary switch too haha.
And if it is possible with a 4 Pole without modding it then it would be great, I have one lying around somewhere.

If you have 4 coils you want to do things with, you can do the switch in 4. If you want LEDs you are going to want 5 so you can have the LEDs change from the same knob without interfering with your guitar in any significant way. Can you direct me to where I can see the guitar, since I don't really know anything about electric guitars so I can check this for you later? I am only guessing that there are four coils.

I'll help you in a couple of days - a bit too busy until then (and I'll see if I can get it working with 4 poles without much impact on the guitar). Naturally someone can do it before me. Rotary is easy enough, just label your poles ABCD... and then your positions A1, A2, A3, etc. And then follow the circuit for each position. So when you are in position 1, A1, B1, C1 and D1 will be active.

WeirdBits
30-04-2014, 04:31 AM
What volume and tone pot configuration do you want to use? Just a master Vol and master Tone, or 1 Vol for each pup with a master Tone etc?

keloooe
30-04-2014, 04:59 AM
Hey Weirdy, I'm using volumes for each pup

ihasmario - the guitar is not built yet, but I can mock up a quick diagram of it if required
Here is the part http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Rotary_Switches.html
The one I have is item 3516

ihasmario
30-04-2014, 05:48 AM
At the risk of throwing spanners in, you could have 4 push pull pots then for your volumes and have each coil individually on/off instead of the rotary.

;)

keloooe
30-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Haha yeah I could, but I don't like them much, I'm used to the click of an upper switch!

I'm trying to find a good switch on Mouser, is it 6 positions, 3 decks and 2 poles per deck?

WeirdBits
30-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Here ya go Pest, I think this should work. Although, I suspect the LEDs will prove to be more trouble than they're worth in the long run.

The resistor's value will depend on the LEDs you're using, how bright you want them, and the battery voltage. It may be better to use a couple of AA batteries so you so don't have to drop as much voltage across the resistor. You will need some type of on/off power switch for the LEDs, so a stereo/switched jack will probably be the simplest option. Lawry will be the best to offer advice regarding the LEDs etc.

The wiring below has a volume for each pickup and a master tone, with the following configuration:

1. Bridge
2. Bridge & Middle
3. Middle
4. Middle & Neck
5. Neck
6. Bridge & Neck

I didn't have a stereo jack on hand, so just imagine there's also a 'ring' lug on the jack (for the battery switching). As always, caveat emptor.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ywz15-Pest_6way_with_6LEDs.jpg

lawry
30-04-2014, 09:13 AM
That's excellent Scott. I've just read this thread for the first time and was almost heading for the pad and pencil. Fortunately, you've done it and saved the last relic of sanity of this old man.
Sad as it may seem, I'd love to spend an arvo with you drinking beer and designing stuff. God knows what we could come up with. After all, the aural exciter was discovered from an electronic build stuff up.

dingobass
30-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Lawry and Weirdy in the same room, drinking beer and designing stuff?

That could be dangerous... probably end up perfecting the Brown Note weapon! :)

WeirdBits
30-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Dangerous indeed, mostly from my severe lack of knowledge.

But, I was just thinking...

As there is a spare pole on the switch, instead of using 6 LEDs for the six positions, we could instead have one LED per pickup mounted in the pup's ring to show which are active. To make it easy it could have a 4th LED as a dummy parallel load hidden in the cavity, that way we could have two parallel LEDs active at all times (the dummy load would be used for positions 1, 3 & 5) and stick with just a single resistor to set the voltage. Thoughts?

Edit: Actually, scrap the above. Just use three LEDs: one fitted in each pickup ring to show if the pickup is 'on'. It would just require a resistor on each of the 3 LEDs instead of single resistor, but I sure Pest could handle it, and of course there would be a slightly increased current draw whenever two pickups were selected. But, assuming the LEDs are reasonably bright, you would always be able to see your pickup selection without even looking at the rotary switch.

Lawry, sounds like a great way to spend an arvo... sadly, it's a long way for a beer.

dingobass
30-04-2014, 10:29 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from WeirdBits on April 29, 2014, 19:20
Dangerous indeed, mostly from my severe lack of knowledge.

But, I was just thinking...

As there is a spare pole on the switch, instead of using 6 LEDs for the six positions, we could instead have one LED per pickup mounted in the pup's ring to show which are active. To make it easy it could have a 4th LED as a dummy parallel load hidden in the cavity, that way we could have two parallel LEDs active at all times (the dummy load would be used for positions 1, 3 & 5) and stick with just a single resistor to set the voltage. Thoughts?

Would that be for an inbuilt Brown Note function? :P

Brendan
30-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Mix the Weirdbits, Lawry and Pest and it really gets weird. I for one am closing my ears for fear of the brown note!

lawry
30-04-2014, 11:05 AM
@Scott. The idea of a ring of LEDs around the pup ring sounds cool to me. I like that idea.
@the rest of you. I don't think we need a brown note generator when there appears to be enough brown stuff going around here at the moment :o

ultpanzi
30-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Just a random thought, have you seen the Peavey vypyr's knobs?? They have a ring of leds which light up showing which position the thing is in and its pretty cool. If you could get your hands on one of those, it would just be like wiring up a normal rotary and the leds would be done for you.

keloooe
01-05-2014, 12:07 AM
@Weirdy cheers for the diagram buddy! I might give the other idea a crack, but either will be fine
@ultpanzi yeah that was actually my inspiration for this!
@Brendan you just wait mate, you just wait...

Fretworn
01-05-2014, 01:53 AM
You will have to be careful that the LEDs are isolated from the actual pickup circuit. You could very easily create a permanent distortion effect, especially if the circuit put the diodes into a push-pull arrangement. Diodes in that arrangement were the basis of the original distortion pedals (like the MXR Distortion+). And apparently LEDs add a real brittle, buzzy edge to the distortion. This is why the LEDs in effects pedals have to be a separate circuit.

Gavin1393
01-05-2014, 07:51 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on April 29, 2014, 18:44
Lawry and Weirdy in the same room, drinking beer and designing stuff?

That could be dangerous... probably end up perfecting the Brown Note weapon! :)

Lawry and Weirdy, please report to the naughty room.....

wokkaboy
01-05-2014, 10:19 AM
haha Lozza and Weirdy are in trouble if Gavmiester has sent them to the naughty room. Sounds like the first 2 weeks will be beer free for them !

dingobass
01-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Countermanded..... Weirdy has a 12 month Naughty Room exemption for sorting out my 6 way switching drama :)

wokkaboy
01-05-2014, 10:35 AM
oh DB that came in handy for Weirdy.
Looks like its just Lozza joining us in the naughty room now !
Lozza can you please bring the coconut uke mate, I want to see/hear it in the flesh with dimarzios !

keloooe
02-05-2014, 03:20 AM
I'll wire up this gizmo in the NR, make some room for the Pest!

wokkaboy
02-05-2014, 04:48 AM
Pest why are you going to the naughty room ? I don't remember you using any banned products or shopping at the big green building ? We will have to set up a corner for under 18's that doesn't have any access to the beer on tap !

dingobass
02-05-2014, 06:28 AM
There is a sound proofed cupboard under the stairs for under 18 pests who get sent to the Naughty Room....

wokkaboy
02-05-2014, 06:46 AM
haha bad luck Pest, looks like you will be wiring up your gizmo in a small dark cupboard ! haha

keloooe
02-05-2014, 09:09 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on May 1, 2014, 15:28
There is a sound proofed cupboard under the stairs for under 18 pests who get sent to the Naughty Room....
Says the one who has the worst security in the world...

dingobass
02-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Nuthin wrong with security around here... one Staffy, one Boxer cross, one Dingo, one Miss Fiona ( the scariest of the lot) and a potentially angry Dingobass......... ;)

lawry
02-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Can I still use the wifi?

lawry
02-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Meant to post this above. Wish I'd come up with something like it! Would've looked great sitting next to your coffee table amp, Pest.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/56j97-image.jpg

keloooe
02-05-2014, 09:59 PM
@Lozza yup, fits perfectly :P
@DB don't worry, I'll make sure that the door isn't so "soundproof" :D

wokkaboy
03-05-2014, 12:13 AM
@ DB if your security is so good how come all these tele's go 'walkabouts' to the wall @ HQ ?
@ Lozza still no joy with the wifi, its been a long wait, but we DO have beer on tap ! Haven't seen that man/woman switchboard pic for a while, it sums it up nicely !

dingobass
03-05-2014, 01:51 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on May 2, 2014, 09:13
@ DB if your security is so good how come all these tele's go 'walkabouts' to the wall @ HQ ?
@ Lozza still no joy with the wifi, its been a long wait, but we DO have beer on tap ! Haven't seen that man/woman switchboard pic for a while, it sums it up nicely !

Woks, prolly cause i keep taking them over to HQ for Ads to check them out :)

Fretworn
03-05-2014, 02:05 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from lawry on May 1, 2014, 19:31

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/56j97-image.jpg

I've seen an alternative, or updated, version of this where both sides of the man switch said "On", and the woman one had all the dials etc, but no on switch.

keloooe
03-05-2014, 04:59 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on May 2, 2014, 10:51

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on May 2, 2014, 09:13

Woks, prolly cause i keep taking them over to HQ for Ads to check them out :)

And how come everything Gibbo related is here then???

lawry
03-05-2014, 07:51 AM
@Fretty. I like your version better!

lawry
06-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Well, Pest. Not only do you have the ultimate Man/Woman box, but now you can have an entire pedal board too!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/168r0-image.jpg

wokkaboy
06-05-2014, 09:49 AM
nice one Lozza, where do you buy this awesome pedal board ?

keloooe
07-05-2014, 01:55 AM
Lozza lozza lozza.............
How much for the board apart from the Babe Attractor? Dun need it :P

wokkaboy
07-05-2014, 01:59 AM
haha nice one Pest, so you shouldn't need talent simulator either and you are still too young for the beer waitress pedal bro !

stan
07-05-2014, 11:10 AM
so much win, need the beer waitress and babe attractor, the setlist one looks pretty handy too

lawry
07-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Pest. Don't listen to them, mate. Get 'one with the lot'. You can never have too much of anything on that board.