PDA

View Full Version : Petes Collection

adam
22-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Pete has been having trouble uploading this image, so here it is.

A rather nice collection in the making.... an ES-1G, LP-1S and TL-1TB.

Tell us a bit about these Pete.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/q3pe4-PeteC-Collection.jpg

wokkaboy
23-04-2014, 02:11 AM
nice collection Pete, yes I'm interested to hear a bit about each build and what stain colours you have used and any upgrades ?

Hillsy
23-04-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm really diggin the TL-1TB Pete, very nice.

pedro
23-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi guys, thanks very much, as Adam will attest the building of these lovely guitars was a darn site easier than uploading the photos for me....haha. The first (and my favourite) was the LP-1 finished in Carmen Gypsy on the face and Columbian Gold with highlights on the back and neck. The second was the ES, and proved to be a real challenge, I used Black Magic Woman and was really unhappy with the finish, but black was the best choice with the gold furniture , as you all would know the real challenge was the wiring and not stuffing it up feeding it through the 'f' , I had it all running beautifully, until one pickup stopped working , when I stopped crying I pulled it all apart and found that the switch was faulty after replacing all the pots, suffice to say that it is all back together and sounding great. The TL-1B in contrast was a breeze, I used slightly diluted butterscotch, but with the additional white I managed many more coats and really took my time, the result was very nice. My only problem is the Bigby Trem arm which needed an additional washer, as the holding nut and washers came loose in building and I had no idea in what order they should go, it has now come loose again and I am considering Loctite, unless someone has a better idea.
I was going to call it quits, but Adam tempted me with a $99 special.....which arrived last week....here we go again....

Pete

wokkaboy
24-04-2014, 12:19 AM
cool thanks for the rundown Pedro. Glad you sorted out the ES, what a bugger a faulty switch.
So you starting a ST-1 build now ?

gavinturner
24-04-2014, 02:12 AM
Love the thinline Tele Pete! Beautiful colour. Just some white in the butterscotch?? Brilliant! The 335 looks great too - black and gold is a killer combination. I can see that the flame maple is still visible - black on black! I know BMW is meant to be difficult to apply, but it looks great from what I can see. Would love a close up of that grain if you could swing it. Anyway, congrats on the awesome builds!

cheers,
Gav.

stan
24-04-2014, 03:54 AM
All great looking builds Pedro!

pedro
24-04-2014, 05:20 AM
Thanks all, very nice comments....Gav the ES looks good from a distance....haha, that's why it's at the back. I will upload a close up soon.

Cheers,

Pete

Any advice on the Loose Trem arm...please??

keloooe
24-04-2014, 05:26 AM
Sweet stuff there Pete!

wokkaboy
24-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Pest, 2 posts in a day - wow
@ Pedro, think DB posted photos of how the trem arm went together on the bigsby

pedro
24-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Hi Gav,

Here is a close up of the ES, as promised.

Cheers,

Pete
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/s5qx3-image.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/91526-image.jpg

pedro
24-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Thanks Wokkaboy, yes...haha....also to answer your question, no upgrades, straight from the box, apart from the Wudtone, which is a delight , I notice that some use clear acrylic on the topcoat which looks great, any advice on that would be a help. Haven't started on the ST-1 , grand kids sitting during school holidays at the moment....!!

I did look at DB Trem Arm construction, but I think I was missing the circlip washer, so I added my own, but it has since come loose, so I think I will go with my previous idea of Loctite on the nut.

pedro
24-04-2014, 06:07 AM
...also on the ES you will notice the wiring which I tried to hide, but getting it there was a challenge, let alone trying to hide the wiring....

wokkaboy
24-04-2014, 06:16 AM
no worries Pedro, thanks for posting pics, looks good. You can remove the white stickers on the back of the tuners might look better to expose the gold. My ES is the same you can see wiring through the F hole I'm too scared to move the wiring.
Hopefully loctite will fix your bigsby trem arm

Hillsy
24-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Took me years to find they were stickers on my first old geetar, Pete is that neck colour vintage amber? how many coats if you recall.

gavinturner
24-04-2014, 12:24 PM
@Hillsy - Looks like vintage yellow wudtone neck to me.

@Pedro - the ES looks great. BMW is a difficult colour at the best of times but you've done a good job - you should be proud of it! The yellow neck is a great contrast too. Any wiring that is inside the f-hole and works is a job well done. All of us who have completed a semi-hollow will stand and applaud you for getting the wiring harness in there in one piece. I have always loved black 335's and yours is no exception. Take a bow!

cheers,
Gav.

pedro
25-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Haha.....yes those stickers, I did remove them from the Tele, missed em on the ES . Thanks very much for the encouragement ....must admit that I was a bit disappointed with the finish, even though I was pleased I completed the build, not only with the wiring but also attaching the neck, first time around with standard wood glue, it collapsed when I started stringing, so a quick call for help to this forum got me to use Titebond which was amazing. Cheers all.

Pete

stan
25-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Nice ES kit Pete, reminds me I must start mine...

bargeloobs
25-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Where do you start with that Tele? That trem, those inlays, two humbuckers, the finish? I love my Tele but daaaamn, I love yours too!