PDA

View Full Version : Achieving a High Gloss finish with acrylics

adam
07-04-2014, 02:15 AM
A couple of months ago I had the pleasure of meeting Jarrod from JMC Guitars in his man cave.

I took my video camera and gave Jarrod a TLA-1 to work his magic on.

The resulting video, shot by Jarrod, is a real treat, and wait until you see how the guitar turned out.

It's over 20 minutes, so it's on YouTube in two parts.

Part One http://youtu.be/IlJs-JCKRKE
Part Two http://youtu.be/yEoqbB5E8vg

Enjoy!

gavinturner
07-04-2014, 03:48 AM
Great video's Jarrod! You're a natural in front of the camera :). I don't have a spray booth but I'm very excited about giving this a try. Thanks so much for taking the time to make this information available to us. It is very, very much appreciated!!!

cheers,
Gav.

DanMade
07-04-2014, 04:23 AM
Great stuff guys. As Gav said, you make a great host Jarrod. Lots of easy to follow information.

jarrod
07-04-2014, 05:29 AM
Agh shucks guys thanks, if anyone has any questions or something i have left out please just ask and i will see if i can help.

lawry
07-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Your guitars are a testament to the fact that this is super process. Thanks for taking the time to make those videos Jarrod. I don't have anywhere to undertake that process but it makes an excellent reference. This community rocks when it comes to sharing and supporting.

maxaxe
07-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Absolutely fantastic tutorials & so well presented :D
The Tele came out almost unbelievably too . . .

I have a project in mind that will benefit enormously from the info, tips etc you have imparted.

Q1: Do you think a scaled down version (just enough to fit a guitar body) of your booth would be OK?

Q2: Did you use a bog standard extractor fan on the flexible duct to outdoors?

Q3: I've got Createx Wicked acrylics on hand for Tees etc. D'you reckon they're OK for your method?

Thanks

Max

stan
07-04-2014, 10:12 AM
great vids, very well done, thanks!

Gavin1393
07-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Great videos Jarrod, and a sensational looking Tele. I am sure these videos will inspire the creation of a few more Waldo's. I wish this video was in existence when I started researching how to get a decent finish on my builds. Plenty of great advice in here and extremely well presented. Going to watch these again and again to make the content mine!
Thanks for making these.

Gav

PS. That tele is certainly worthy of GOTM, but I suspect you may have difficulty photographing it if has mysteriously disappeared?

stan
07-04-2014, 11:06 PM
That is a great tutorial vid Jarrod - very well done, easy to follow and informative.

PLEASE do a short detailed look at the spray booth - looks awesome and effective

AJ
08-04-2014, 04:10 AM
Great presentation Jarrod!

jarrod
08-04-2014, 09:34 AM
[quote]/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from maxaxe on April 6, 2014, 18:31
Absolutely fantastic tutorials & so well presented :D
The Tele came out almost unbelievably too . . .

I have a project in mind that will benefit enormously from the info, tips etc you have imparted.

Q1: Do you think a scaled down version (just enough to fit a guitar body) of your booth would be OK?

Q2: Did you use a bog standard extractor fan on the flexible duct to outdoors?

Q3: I've got Createx Wicked acrylics on hand for Tees etc. D'you reckon they're OK for your method?

Thanks

Max
Hey max, you need enough room to deal with overspray but a smaller version of Waldo would be feesable with good extraction. My extraction fan is a little more than your bathroom one. I will post a picture up of mine which came from good old bunnings in a couple of weeks when im home from over seas. Createx acrylic should be fine to use but i would try a sample piece of wood first.

jarrod
08-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Guys im glad the videos will come of use to people, and I thank you all for your great response to them. I will gladly put a more detailed video of my spray booth for others to either recreate or at least get an idea for them selves. As you can see I get great results and practice will make perfect. And Gav Adam will not be getting his hands on this TLA lol.....I love playing it too much.

johnnychronic
08-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Hey Jarrod, Wicked paint will work fine, just don't do a heavy first coat of PU clear coat and let it flash for 15-18 minutes before following coats.

Gavin1393
08-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Jarrod, would love to see more of the design of waldo!

jarrod
08-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Soon as im back gav i will sort it.

wokkaboy
09-04-2014, 01:40 AM
as everyone has said great vids Jarrod, very informative. I've seen those water tanks you use for the spray booth, wish I had room to set one up. So are you based in Perth Jarrod ? Would you mind if I checked it out sometime when you are back home ?

jarrod
09-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Be great to catch up Wokka

dingobass
09-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Bloody brilliant setup Jarrod and reaaly informative vid as well!

When you are back we must team up and I will give you a Dingotone stain kit to road test.. I am in Mount Richon so it should be easy to meet up.

Now for the not so good news...you have earned two weeks in the Naughty Room for mentioning the Big Green Shed Full Of S*it on the forum... ;)

jarrod
09-04-2014, 12:16 PM
That would be great DB. I would like to try some and let it dry off for a few weeks then see if clearcoat will go over the top. Im 100% sure everyone in the PB family would want to use a local Aussi brew. And man your colours look sensational. Anyway two weeks in the Naughty room when I get back hey , I shall bring bear and a bucket of KFC lads.
Did wanna ask if your brew pre mineral additives could be replaced with an Alac 20 thinner for us clearcoat boys.

dingobass
09-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Hmmmm, I have no idea what Alac is... so we will have to meet up and discuss this!

None of my ingredient are mineral based, I have chosen to go 100% natural products.

I will be working up a series of water and alcohol based stains if this is any help?
(No Woks, not the drinkable kind of alcohol) :)

Look forward to working on this with you Jarrod ;)

jarrod
09-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Alcohol and water would work well and thanks for involving me, sounds very exciting.

dingobass
09-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Kewl!
I look forward to working with you on developing Dingotone to be an all round product :)

AJ
09-04-2014, 11:33 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on April 8, 2014, 21:49
Hmmmm, I have no idea what Alac is... so we will have to meet up and discuss this!

None of my ingredient are mineral based, I have chosen to go 100% natural products.

I will be working up a series of water and alcohol based stains if this is any help?
(No Woks, not the drinkable kind of alcohol) :)

Look forward to working on this with you Jarrod ;)

Alcohol based will work well with Aclac 20 thinners... and GP Lacquer thinners, the water based products should also work a treat under a clear coat.. You certainly have got my interest up now Phil!

dingobass
10-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Thanks for that AJ :)

This is begining to to be a real learning curve for me. I have only ever finished my builds with oil, wax French Polish and wudtone... I have an aversion to chemicals hence my never using poly, acrylic etc..

AJ
10-04-2014, 12:21 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on April 9, 2014, 09:02
Thanks for that AJ :)

This is beginning to to be a real learning curve for me. I have only ever finished my builds with oil, wax French Polish and wudtone... I have an aversion to chemicals hence my never using poly, acrylic etc..

Your welcome Phil, I have also been the french polish route, not yet tried the tru oil, but do have a bottle in my shed to give it a whirl one day.

Jarrod, those IBC containers are great to get, however over here in Vic they are dear as poison secondhand.and most people flogging them have no clue as to what chemicals they were used with (most are generally used with bulk alkali's or acids- those are ok as they can be cleaned out just the ones that have had resins in them are not salvageable normally). Did a research on them a few years back when I was contemplating doing a bit of aquaculture (fish- veges) Am really annoyed with myself as I could of scored a few brand new ones from the chemical company I used to work for .. Hindsight sucks...lol

As a side note and for info - by adding a alcohol based stain to clear, you can create a translucent color over an already stained item that has been clear coated, or as I do to get that really deep look to the stained color, I add the base color to the first few top coatings, then finish off with just the clear. Kelly from Werribee has seen the "mako" in person and was impressed.

I'm really interested in how you got that "scalloped" effect with the new stain..
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/h3g6q-DSCF1540.JPG

wokkaboy
10-04-2014, 12:31 AM
sounds good Jarrod and DB, maybe we can all meet up, which suburb are you based in Jarrod ?
I'll see you in the naughty room anyway, think I'm there for life now !

jarrod
10-04-2014, 01:42 AM
Im in Seville Grove Woks

wokkaboy
10-04-2014, 02:05 AM
cool sounds good Jarrod nice and close to DB's. Let us know when you are ready for a catchup and we'll lock in a date/time

dingobass
10-04-2014, 02:58 AM
AJ, if you are referring to the Green PRS, the scalloping is the timber... it is a quilted maple cap, rather tasy :)

jarrod
10-04-2014, 04:12 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on April 9, 2014, 11:05
cool sounds good Jarrod nice and close to DB's. Let us know when you are ready for a catchup and we'll lock in a date/time

Sounds like a plan.

dingobass
10-04-2014, 06:29 AM
I was asked if there was a Black in the pipeline....

Hows this guys? After one stain coat application.

Black enough? 8-)
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/e0w74-image.jpg

wokkaboy
10-04-2014, 06:42 AM
looks black to me DB, well done, runs rings around black magic woman and looks like you could get away with one heavy coat !
Is this a return body ? Can't remember the model but its taking a while for this shape to grow on me, but love the colour !

dingobass
10-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Thanx Woks :)

This is the Steinberger Headless kit.. It has been lurking in the Man Cave for a while. It was finished in Surfer Girl but I absolutely hated the colour so off it came and on with the Black!

adam
10-04-2014, 07:14 AM
"There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black." Nigel Tufnel.

If I get a vote, I say we name it None More Black (but I probably don't get a vote).

Looks sensational DB! And we should note that's a basswood body on the SH-1 kit. Remember that we had problems with the other black as it wouldn't take to the basswood. Well done DB.

stan
10-04-2014, 07:26 AM
that is a great black!

wokkaboy
10-04-2014, 07:29 AM
@Ads think DB is trying to come up with australian names for the colour stains, so maybe beyond the black stump - sure someone will come up with a better name.
You must have done some serious sanding DB to get the finish that consistent on basswood. Everyone knows how much DB likes sanding haha

dingobass
10-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Ok.. I did cheat with the sanding...
Ran it through the drum sander then attacked the sides with the spindle sander then went mental with the orbital sander then finished it by hand using 240 and 350 grit..

dingobass
10-04-2014, 08:26 AM
BTW, I like Black Stump... Good idea Woks :)

jarrod
10-04-2014, 09:18 AM
How about "southern night sky"

lawry
10-04-2014, 09:24 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from jarrod on April 9, 2014, 18:18
How about "southern night sky"
I like that name Jarrod but to me it conjures up a VERY deep, dark blue. Good name though.

jarrod
10-04-2014, 09:38 AM
How about southern black night sky lol........