PDA

View Full Version : Watermelon

barrylicious
05-04-2014, 11:19 AM
For those interested here is the build process. Took a little longer then anticipated. Only have a few progress photos. Didn't know about the forum till just recently. Plz note I am an amateur . I take lots of pride in what I do . But I'm not perfect. I'm a baker by trade, not a luthier, or carpenter or spray painter. I quite possibly have a drinking problem and tend to ramble on a bit

Received a magical box filled with guitar peices. Checked there was enough bits to make a guitar, dry fitted the components , sniffed the wood for a while (I love the smell of fresh routed wood), repAcked the kit and
Hid it under the bed so the wife didn't see it. Apparently I allready had 'enough' guitars and there was no real need for me to get anymore because I don't use the ones I've allready got.
My reply: "so it's a bit like all those shoes you own then right?"

Guys. If you only learn one thing from my posts let it be this.. Don't EVER say what I said to your wives. It will not end well.

Decided on green. Because I didn't have a green one yet.

*** before applying colour I rubbed 2 coats of black dye into the wood, then heavily sanded with a 300 grit paper to remove all but a small trace of the black. This intensifies the grain patterns. Works on all woods. Especially well on maple.
Next I had some scotch.
Several days later I woke up and applied green dye to the body and neck and myself and my kitchen

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/64mi0-image.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/1c4xz-image.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/33mk3-image.jpg

adam
05-04-2014, 11:26 AM
As a fellow whiskey aficionado I wholeheartedly applaud this build diary. I look forward to future updates.

gavinturner
05-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Nice work Dan! A great start - the body is looking mighty fine. Your flame maple has popped really nicely. This is going to be a sweet looking PRS when you are done, even though you seem to have developed a bit of 'hulk hand'. What are you planning for clear coats?

cheers,
Gav.

barrylicious
05-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Attaching the neck came next. Now this may be frowned apon. But I used aryldite to glue the neck in place. This stuff doesn't bond overly well with finished/ fine sanded woods, so I got my dremel out and roughed up the pocket and bottom flange of the neck. Glued it up and clamped it down.left it to cure for about a week.That baby ain't ever comming apart now. (Note. Please make sure neck is aligned and angled properly before gluing. A mistake here means the end of your guitar).

It was about now that my wife gave birth to our amazing son zach. Things got put on hold

Please note the pattern on the neck is an egsample of what putting the black dye down does .
Also don't panic if it looks like crap when the dye dries. When it's wet or clear coated it really comes alive
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/24675-image.jpg

barrylicious
05-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Hi Gavin. This is allready complete. A fellow forum member asked for a build diary so I'm putting it together with wHat little photos I took along the way

barrylicious
05-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Next came the sanding. Followed by more sanding. And more. And more. And more. And on. And on and on. And well you get the picture

Nickosaurus
05-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Lol'd at the wife comment :p

Really nice colour man. Watermelon is certainly apt.

wokkaboy
08-04-2014, 02:02 AM
Hey Dan thanks for the brief build diary, glad you learnt some lessons building this kit.
I'm currently building a DIY Guitars PRS kit and its identical to this one, I'd be surprised if its a Pit Bull kit, I don't remember ever seeing the contoured cutaways like this kit. Also I've never seen a Pit Bull kit that doesn't have bridge/tailpiece post holes pre-drilled.
Looks excellent though good final result, how does it play and sound ?

stan
08-04-2014, 10:00 AM
great diary, very entertaining