PDA

View Full Version : Where to fabricate PUP mounting ring?

ihasmario
04-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Hey gang,

I was wondering if it was at all feasible or economically viable to have a pickup mounting ring fabricated. I'm adding a Lace Dually to my guitar so it's like a Tele Plus, unfortunately the pickup I have did not come with a mounting ring (as I actually got it before they rereleased the ring).

The ring type is pictured. I can get it from some guitar part fabrication places in the states (like FotN) but that means $50 or so for the ring, because of shipping.

Any ideas on how to get this sort of thing going locally? Otherwise I'll just be using a standard ring with the pockets filled up.

Thanks guys.
Chris
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/zsf58-286.jpg

dingobass
04-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Wow... thats weird.. what were they thinking by releasing the pup without the ring?..

Anyhoo, I think it would be cheaper to get the ring from Lace as you would most probably have to pay a small fourtune to get one made.

pablopepper
04-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Hey Chris, Radiohead fan by any chance? If you aren't married to the idea of metal and would consider plastic, I can help out. Where abouts are you located?

ihasmario
04-04-2014, 11:54 PM
Hey Pablo, I am in WA - Gosnells area (In the ghetto (in the ghettoo...)). Plastic would suffice. It would mean I wouldn't have to use a pickguard too, since the singles seem to mount the same way as a regular tele neck pup and I can cut a matching one out of the pickguard I have now (after filing it a bit wider).

This is probably blasphemy around these parts, since it is a guitar forum, but Radiohead are the only (big) "rock" group I really like. I'm actually not a big fan of Electric Guitar outside of Jazz and even then it is pretty far down the list

Thanks man
:)

pablopepper
05-04-2014, 12:32 AM
I don't know how "rock" Radiohead are anymore haha. Putting a Lace Dually in the bridge position and a single at the neck of a tele (especially if it's a red/red, blue combo) just screams Radiohead fan to me (guilty). R.E. Johnny Greenwood's Tele plus.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdjqavzL4q1qa1wxx.jpg

Anyway, enough geeking out. What colour would you like? I'll have to size it up off regular humbucker coils, but I don't see a problem with that.

ihasmario
05-04-2014, 01:08 AM
White would be great if you have it man... Do you need me to take any measurements? The screws etc seem to line up with the ring dingo flicked my way, but it leaves a gap where the pickups are rounded.

I wasn't a huge fan of TKOL or Pablo Honey but I am a huge fan of everything else...

I am doing Red/Red, Blue also haha...

Flick me a PM with payment info for your troubles + the cost of materials.

Thanks man you are saving me a lot of trouble

pablopepper
05-04-2014, 01:37 AM
Oh man, The King Of Limbs is a tough album. I really didn't like it for a long time. Seeing it performed live opened it up massively for me. I think I 'get it' now.

I should be able to get by without measurements, if you want only two adjustment holes (the ones that hold the pickup to the ring). If you want the three holes, that will be a little trickier to get right, but still possible.

Hit up my facebook link and message me your address.

ihasmario
05-04-2014, 02:58 AM
Just sent, you may have to check your "other" box on fb.

Thanks again