PDA

View Full Version : Scrub Questions about Fretboard Finishing

ihasmario
04-04-2014, 08:20 AM
So after some googling around I am a little confused about necks and fretboard finishing. I have the Maple neck from the PBG Tele-style Kits...

Do I apply the same finish to both the fretboard and the neck?
Do I oil the fretboard after the finish, or is something like Axe Wax the fretboard "finish"?

The more over-explaining the more confident I will be. Don't want to wreck the fretboard...

Thanks guys.

:| .

dingobass
04-04-2014, 08:32 AM
With the Fret Board the easiest and best finish to use is a wax... Stay tuned as we will be introducing a new fret board and Guitar wax hopefully next week.

Gavin1393
04-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Hi ihasmario,

You wouldn't normally use the same finish on both fretboard and neck. I have used AxeWax in the past and this works well for me. The finish you use on the neck needs to enhance your protection of the neck but also allow you to move your hand up and down the neck with ease.

But, I have heard that there is something coming out soon that will have everyone excited, so maybe hold onto that thought for a week or so?

lawry
04-04-2014, 09:33 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on April 3, 2014, 17:32
With the Fret Board the easiest and best finish to use is a wax... Stay tuned as we will be introducing a new fret board and Guitar wax hopefully next week.

Oooh. I, for one, can hardly contain my enthusiasm.

maxaxe
04-04-2014, 10:35 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on April 3, 2014, 17:32

Oy DB it's not f***ing Max Wax is it?

dingobass
04-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Bwahahahahaha! No Maxie, but dammit I wish I had of thought of that :)

ultpanzi
04-04-2014, 12:11 PM
It's all personal taste as to what finishes you use but fretboard and neck finishes are different so make sure you use the right one. I personally like an unfinished neck that's been sanded smooth, weird but it works for me and a rosewood fretboard conditioned with lemon oil is great, so find something that works for you, even if it's a little strange. Just cos everyone else is doing something one way, doesnt mean you have to conform.

Gavin1393
04-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Ultpanzi,

do you leave the neck completely raw, or do you use Tru Oil or maybe Tung Oil to keep the natural feel but to seal the neck to prevent possible warping?

Curious and interested to hear...

I have often left my acoustics raw for many months but then sealed them ultimately. Haven't tried this with an electric.

ultpanzi
04-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Completely raw but I need to keep them in cases to prevent warping for a while, but then after a while, I like to tell myself that my hand oils and stuff have sealed the neck. I've wanted to use Tru oil for a while, but its just a pain to get so I just do it this way.