PDA

View Full Version : My new pitbull guitar

barrylicious
03-04-2014, 10:59 PM
still needs final setup, but so far so good. Took longer then I expected.
However, I didn't read instructions until AFTER build was complete. Next build will be a lot quicker.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/2g6eg-image.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/0bm0a-image.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/42f0r-image.jpg

wokkaboy
04-04-2014, 12:28 AM
looks great Dan, can you please tell us a bit about the build, like stain/clear you have used and any mods like pickups ? Is that glue on the flame cap toward the bottom ?
Love the shade of green. You have some interesting axes in the background. Is that a MB kit the unstained axe you are working on ?

Fretworn
04-04-2014, 01:28 AM
Good Job Dan. Make sure it gets entered in GOTM, it's dang gorgeous.

ultpanzi
04-04-2014, 02:20 AM
That's a nice build, just wondering, did you use any type of stain to make the flaming stand out so much?

wokkaboy
04-04-2014, 03:09 AM
Hey Dan is that a Pit Bull PRS kit ? it's different to the 2 kits they offer the PRS-1S and PRS-1TS.
Looks like a DIY Guitars PRS kit ?

DanMade
04-04-2014, 04:00 AM
Nice one :)

bargeloobs
04-04-2014, 04:12 AM
Hey barrylicious that finish is lush man, what sort of lacquer are you using? I see you've carved out some details in the body to get a more authentic PRS look too, very skillful.
Is that a different neck you've used there?

barrylicious
04-04-2014, 05:47 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on April 3, 2014, 12:09
Hey Dan is that a Pit Bull PRS kit ? it's different to the 2 kits they offer the PRS-1S and PRS-1TS.
Looks like a DIY Guitars PRS kit ?

Hey wokka

This kit was given to me as a gift about 1.5 years ago. Came in a box with pitbull guitars on the front , a little decal transfer(pitbull guitars) and no instructions. The body only had the neck pocket , pickup holes and control cavity routed out. Pretty sure it was handed over to me because it looked like too much effort for the previous owner.
You're definitely right about it being different the 2 styles offered on the website. Curios.

wokkaboy
04-04-2014, 05:53 AM
ah ok thanks Dan if it was about 1.5 years ago the kit was probably very different then. Your kit is like a combination of the 2 kits available now minus the spalted maple cap which yours is flame maple. Interesting. I'd say yours was the very 1st PRS from the factory. So are you saying you had to drill the 4 bridge/tailpiece post holes and possibly the output jack hole ? That sounds very much like a DIY kit.
Anyway looks good, have you got any earlier photos ? would be good to see a rough build diary to see how you got the finished product

barrylicious
04-04-2014, 07:00 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from ultpanzi on April 3, 2014, 11:20
That's a nice build, just wondering, did you use any type of stain to make the flaming stand out so much?
Yeah. Easy trick to make colours pop. Dye it black. Let it dry . Dye it black again. Let it dry. Sand it back till you can barely see the black then apply your colour dye. Once that has dried lightly sand with fine grit. Makes a huge difference to the final product

barrylicious
04-04-2014, 07:37 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on April 3, 2014, 14:53
ah ok thanks Dan if it was about 1.5 years ago the kit was probably very different then. Your kit is like a combination of the 2 kits available now minus the spalted maple cap which yours is flame maple. Interesting. I'd say yours was the very 1st PRS from the factory. So are you saying you had to drill the 4 bridge/tailpiece post holes and possibly the output jack hole ? That sounds very much like a DIY kit.
Anyway looks good, have you got any earlier photos ? would be good to see a rough build diary to see how you got the finished product

Happy to share. However it's a tale of woe and hardship and broken hearts , but ended up with a happy ending

Think ill email admin to find out more about the kit . See if it is an older model.
Anyway loved the kit loved the experience so I bought the avenger and the mockingbird models . Can't wait to see how they turn out

maxaxe
04-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Interesting history there. A beautiful axe has come out of some obscurity it would seem.
I am keeping your technique for enhancing flamed maple pasted in my bonnet for future use.

adam
05-04-2014, 01:07 AM
This is intriguing, I've asked Barrylicious to let me know the original purchaser, so I can see if it is one of ours, but if it came with a decal in a PBG box, it must be. I do remember custom ordering some PRS style kits, so it must be one of those. Barrylicious, as I said on email, you'll need to move this to the May GOTM Thread, which I will set up now.

For anyone else wanting this style PRS, we will be offering these in a new line of "Deluxe" kits. It will just be the body and neck, so you can add the hardware of your choosing. We've asked the factory to ensure that these kits are built with the best quality and featured woods and they are dent, scratch and glue free. More info on these new kits in the next few weeks.

wokkaboy
05-04-2014, 02:10 AM
sounds good the new PRS kits Adam, any idea of the cost of the kits for body/neck only ?