PDA

View Full Version : Help for a customer in Lonford, Victoria

adam
27-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Victorians, a customer, Dave, from Longford Victoria, has an LP-1S (bolt on) with some neck heel issues. The neck is sitting too high in the pocket.

Anyone in Melbourne (or near Longford) who might be able to help him out? He would need to bring the guitar to you so you can work some magic.

If it's a faulty kit, no problem, we will of course refund or replace, but he's already done a lot of work on the finish and would like to salvage.

If you can help, great, respond here and I'll send you Dave's number.

Thanks

wokkaboy
27-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Hi Adam,
we had a similar query to this from Bat from Cairns a week or so ago, refer to the thread
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1080.0

The LP-1S bolt on neck should have the neck a little proud of the body, they are different to the set neck LP models. Can you please ask Dave to post some photos and maybe measure the height top of the fingerboard to body when the neck is seated and clamped ?
cheers

adam
27-03-2014, 07:48 AM
I think this is the most telling photo Dave sent us. It does look to be in the range of yours Wokka and maybe once the neck is screwed on it will be fine.

As you say, this may just be a Set Neck vs Bolt On Neck issue.

I'll recommend to Dave that he does a full mock up with the two E Strings.

Thanks mate
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/4hm8z-LP-1S.JPG

wokkaboy
27-03-2014, 07:50 AM
no problem Adam. The set neck kits the fingerboard sits flat ontop of the body so that's where the confusion comes from. The top of the fingerboard should sit about 6-7mm above the body once screwed in. Mine was built about 12 months ago so the kits evolve/change in time I've noticed.
Yes thats good advice do a mock up and check string heights with the 2 E strings on.
Ah I can see the photo now, neck looks a little proud but it doesn't look screwed in.
Dave make sure the surface of the neck pocket and neck heel are clean. Might pay to give the neck pocket a sand to make sure the surface is flat

Gavin1393
27-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Yep! Agree with Wokka...

kells80aus
27-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Hi Gav,

Longfords over near Sale. It's halfway across the state from me, otherwise I'd go help. I've been through this sort of issue with my scratch Eagle 11 build. I had to gently shape the base of the neck and the pocket to fit. In my case the prob was that the neck pocket was half a mm too narrow and I had to carefully make it wider.
I used a digital Verier caliper to continually check the width of the neck and the pocket. while scraping and gently sanding with a the sand paper wrapped around a 10mm x 25mm piece of DAR. the base of the pocket I used a sharp chisel as a scraper to make sure the pocket corners were crisp and sharp. Also gently sanded the hidden corners of the neck heal so they were slightly rounded enough to fit the bottom of the pocket.

Cheers PK

kells80aus
27-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention. put a light pencil mark on the heal of the neck where you have it pushed into the neck slot. If you measure the width of the neck heal above this line, and measure the width of the neck slot you will find the neck is wider. there is usually a slight taper on the heal of the neck. when you measure the bottom of the heal you'll see it is the same size or narrower than the neck slot, but closer to the fretboard it will be wider. I hope this will explain it a bit better.

:D PK