PDA

View Full Version : preparing/finishing a maple fretboard

danluland@dodo.com.au
23-03-2014, 05:14 AM
Hi, I've searched the boards for some guidance on this and couldn't find any thing relevant (which probably means it's a dumb question but here goes anyway!!)

What is the best technique for sanding the maple fretboard of my tele build? Presumably it needs to be pretty smooth before finishing with the wudtone, how do I avoid sanding the frets as well? Also, do I need to mask the frets before brushing the wudtone on?

Cheers,
Dan

Gavin1393
23-03-2014, 10:01 AM
The maple fret board has already been sanded in the manufacturing process. It would not need to be sanded again unless it somehow got damaged?

dingobass
23-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Hi Dan.
Personally I would avoid using Wudtone on the finger board, you are better off using a product such as Dr Ducks Axe Wax.
Now, to sand the fingerboard I wrap a piece of 800 grit wet and dry paper around a six inch rule and gently sand between the frets.. this will remove any sanding marks and after youy apply the wax you will end up with a super fast finger board.

danluland@dodo.com.au
25-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.
So except for minor scratches/blemishes the maple board should be ready to take a finish straight out of the box, is that correct?
DB, thanks for the tip regarding the axe wax although I'm hoping to avoid a two tone effect if possible which is why i was thinking the vintage amber for the whole neck. I was looking at Bass Guy's comments here:-

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=595

SIMpleONe89
10-05-2014, 12:00 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on March 22, 2014, 19:10
Hi Dan.
Personally I would avoid using Wudtone on the finger board, you are better off using a product such as Dr Ducks Axe Wax.
Now, to sand the fingerboard I wrap a piece of 800 grit wet and dry paper around a six inch rule and gently sand between the frets.. this will remove any sanding marks and after youy apply the wax you will end up with a super fast finger board.

dingobass in which direction did you sand? I find it really hard to sand with the grain with the frets in the way!