PDA

View Full Version : robs JR-1DC (Lyn #7)

robin
21-03-2014, 10:10 AM
HI Folks, it’s been quite a while since I last posted. I’m sorry to say that I haven’t even been keeping up with the Forums, so apologies for my absence. Unfortunately I seem to have fallen in a bit of a heap over the last few months and haven't been able to get myself going.

To get out of my "funk" I decided the best therapy would be to start my next kit. The LP Junior DC. I've had the kit for quite a few months now, but I have had neither the motivation nor the enthusiasm to even start it.

Anybody who has followed my previous builds knows that, for me, the guitars are all about playability. So I wasn't too sure that the original compensated wrap-around bridge would be good enough for accurate intonation, so I ordered an individual saddle wrap-around bridge. Unfortunately the new bridge is quite a few mm's higher than the original so I have had to rebate the post holes.

As it only has one pick-up I thought I would get a good replacement for it. I have never owned a guitar with a P90 (until PBG I hadn't even heard of them), so after a lot of Googling I decided on a Lollar "Dog ear" P90. When it arrived I found that the "ears" were even less flexible that the stock Pup which made mounting it on the slightly contoured Arch Top of the kit rather problematic.

To cut a long story short, I had one of those “it seemed like a good idea at the time” moments. D’oh!

So I decided to cut the top of the guitar to fit the P90, but I had to go much deeper than I had planned so then the pickguard wouldn't fit properly. So I cut the body for that, and then I realized that the P90 will be too low (by several mm's) so I will have to make a shim for it. It wouldn’t be me if it didn’t have tummy and forearm cuts. Plus for this one I’ve also included a “leg” cut to make it more comfy while sitting and playing. All in all my rasping, filing and chisel skills are coming along a treat.

At that stage I had realised that it had all got out of hand and I knew it I was well on my way to making a guitar that will probably hold pride of place in the "Ugly Guitar Thread". Lol.

I was pretty disappointed with how it was turning out so I wasn’t going to do a Build Diary but I thought it will give me the incentive to see this through to the bitter end.

But I reserve the right to terminate this Thread if it gets too bad.

So I have reluctantly added a few photos of my rather haphazard progress. I am just making it up as I go along folks, so I have no idea how it will eventually turn out. Hopefully over the next month or so I will have something that will not be too Frankenstein-ish.

My main regret is that it is no longer a Les Paul Jr. But like all our guitars, it will be unique. Ugly, but unique.

At least it’s good to be back ;)

Cheers
rob

Pic #1. I wanted to try and reproduce the sound of the Jr so I didn’t like the idea of the Humbucker cavity under the P90 so filled it in with a block of wood. Here I have started to cut the body to take the standard pickguard.

Pic #2. Pickguard shape cut out, and the Pup cavity finished

Pic #3. Finished mutilating the top.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/n86c8-013.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/157aa-004-2.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cz428-005-2.JPG

robin
21-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Pic #4. Now to start on the cuts. As per usual for me everything is done by hand. All the cuts were done with a rasp
Pic #5. Tummy cut
Pic #6. “Leg” cut.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/dz315-016.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/o87bp-006-2.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/w9p4k-007-2.JPG

wokkaboy
21-03-2014, 10:23 AM
nice mods Robin, I'll read later when I have time, good to have you back on the forum mate !

lawry
21-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Hey, that's looking very cool, Robin. I truly hope you keep going through with this and post often. I love the way the mods are shaping up and I like the idea of it being done by hand. To me that's the artistry. And I don't think it looks ugly at all! Cheers.

adam
21-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Looks fantastic so far Robin. Don't see why you're so negative about it, looks to me like you've taken a basic kit and made it a whole lot better. Keep it up!

Analyst69
21-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Hey Robin

I really like what you did with the carve for the pickguard...never really thought of recessing the pickguard before, but It's a really nifty idea and I'm sure it will look cool (particularly on a arched top guitar).

Cheers

Darren

Brendan
21-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Robin - welcome back - missed you! Personally I think it's looking great - can't see what the problem is! I reckon like your others - this will be a cracker!

Andyport
21-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Welcome back Rob.
This is looking great, love the craftsmanship.
Interested to know how you did the recesses for the control knobs?
Been looking up the exact thing on the web yesterday...something I may want to try in the future.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Andy

gavinturner
21-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Great to have you back Robin! I've missed reading about your awesome builds. This one sounds like no exception. In my opinion you are on track to create something really cool here!!

cheers,
Gav.

robin
21-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Hey Guys, thanks a bunch for the support and encouragement, it really does mean a lot to me. This community really is the best.

I was actually going to start this Thread a few weeks ago when the guitar was a bit rough and I wasn't sure where I was going with it. I apologize for the negative tone of the OP, I should have re-read it before posting.

@ Warren, Brendan, Andy and Gav, thanks Guys, it's good to be back.

@ Andy, To recess the Control knobs I just used a chisel. The Basswood is so easy to work with that I didn't even need a mallet. Just eased the chisel in, made a rough circle and finished it off with sandpaper.

Cheers Guys and thanks again
rob

stan
22-03-2014, 02:35 AM
great mods robin, looks good

wokkaboy
22-03-2014, 05:24 AM
Yes agreed with everyone Robin, you should remove the ugly tag, its looking nicely modified already and you are working around any problems arising. The recessed control knobs and pickguard should look awesome and you are giving this model a unique look which is cool.
Keep up the good work and keep us updated on the forum, everyone is happy to have an old forumite back who has many outstanding PBG builds !
Its a real inspiration to other builders that you have done all these mods with a rasp, file, chisel and sandpaper proving that you don't need many tools to modify these axes !

robin
23-03-2014, 07:58 AM
@ Stan,
Thanks mate, appreciate that.

@ Warren,
Thanks mate, not sure about "inspiration"! I think I'm just stubborn, pigheaded and a glutton for punishment, with too much spare time on my hands lol.

I've had a productive couple of days of late.

Firstly I had my first crack at grain filling. I thought I would use Timbermate. I wanted something dark to enhance the grain, and as I already had some Hardwood Timbermate I bought a small tub of Jarrah with the idea of mixing them together to get a nice dark fill. Unfortunately it turned out a bit too red for my liking. But one never knows how it will react to a stain, so the jury is still out on that one.

I also finished shaping the headstock. Nothing flash, just trying to keep a Gibbo vibe going.

cheers
rob

Pic #1 the body before grainfilling
Pic #2 after
Pic #3 the Headstock
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/38f3i-005-2.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/5sq7b-001-4.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/z4h9j-005-3.JPG

gavinturner
23-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Nice grain fill Rob! I think it will come up beautifully with a little stain.
I must remember to do this to all my basswood builds.
Wish I had've remembers for my jnr. This is going to look sweet!

Cheers,
Gav.

kells80aus
23-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Hi Rob,
I like what you've done with the cuts. It sure makes that lill baby stand out in a crowd.

Like you I am doing a Double cut LP Jnr. well I will be when it turns up. It's due some time in the next few weeks.
Just in time for me to finish off this strat I am building.

On the point of P90's I noticed there are a lot of spacers(Shims) avaiabale for dog eared P90's on ebay. Also dogeared mini humbuckers if you wanted to go that way.

I am thinking about how to get more tone varaition out of mine, and the Gave-Myster pointed out Stellartone make a drop in tone switch replacement for the tone control. Certainly worth looking at.

http://www.stellartone.com/index.asp

Cheers PK :D

robin
23-03-2014, 10:50 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on March 22, 2014, 17:49
Nice grain fill Rob! I think it will come up beautifully with a little stain.
I must remember to do this to all my basswood builds.
Wish I had've remembers for my jnr. This is going to look sweet!

Cheers,
Gav.

Thanks Gav, my first attempt at grain filling. Boy its a messy job with Timbermate but well worth the effort for the finish you get. I wish I hadn't bought the Timbermate on impulse, but that's the way this build has gone so far lol.

cheers
rob

robin
23-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks Paul.

I got some shims with my P90 from Lollar, but they look pretty crap so will probably use the one that I have made. According to Lollar you need to get the pole pieces as close as possible to the strings. Approx 2mm!!

Those Stellatone thingoes look OK but I have already spent too much already. I guess if you're after a variety of sounds, a single P90 is not the way to go anyway lol.

Good luck with your builds mate.

cheers
rob

pablopepper
28-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Good to see you back Rob, and come back in style. You have taken this kit to a whole other level. Can't wait to see more.

robin
28-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks Craig,

Good to be back mate. Still not properly on my game but getting there.

I wanted to do a bit more on it this week but as my workshop is my back patio the rain in Brissie has put a stop to that.

Chaffing at the bit to get going again though.

cheers
rob

robin
01-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Finally got a chance to do some more work on the 'Jnr' over the weekend.

After many, many, MANY hours of sanding I applied the first coat of stain, and it was immediately obvious that I hadn't sanded enough. Sheesh!! You would think that after several builds I would have DB's mantra ingrained into my tiny little brain, but 'nuh'. After letting it dry I applied a second coat of stain and it improved somewhat, it'll have to do.

So today I managed to get the first coat of Tru-Oil applied. It's only the first (soak) coat so fairly rough and uneven, but the grain has "popped" nicely. It will take several more coats before a gloss starts to really show.

Just a couple of progress pics. You can tell by the mat under the guitar that phone/camera has done weird things to the colours but it shows how the grain is going.

cheers
rob

Pic #1 - 2 coats of stain
Pic #2 - 1 Coat of Tru-Oil

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/t9sk8-007-3.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/02t16-011-2.JPG

quiet1_au
01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Looking good robin! :-)

maxaxe
01-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm very impressed with the carving, especially how the knob recesses turned out. There's nothing wrong with modding a kit to please yourself (says me) and there's nothing wrong with your work that I can see.

I know what falling in a heap is like too (think Beyond Blue). And you're right in saying this hobby is good therapy, even when things go awry.

robin
01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
@quiet1,

Thanks John,

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from maxaxe on March 31, 2014, 18:39
I'm very impressed with the carving, especially how the knob recesses turned out. There's nothing wrong with modding a kit to please yourself (says me) and there's nothing wrong with your work that I can see.

I know what falling in a heap is like too (think Beyond Blue). And you're right in saying this hobby is good therapy, even when things go awry.

Thanks Max,

Actually the knob recesses don't stand up very well to close inspection, but hey, skills learnt for future projects.

And you sure are right about this hobby Max. It has helped me through some tough times.

Cheers guys
rob

Brendan
01-04-2014, 11:20 AM
PBG - great place to go for some http://www.mantherapy.org.au/ ...

robin
01-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Thanks Brendan, but I probably shouldn't have taken the Quiz. lol.

cheers mate
rob

dingobass
01-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Robin, great to have your company again :)
This is going to be a beautiful Guitar, I really like what you are doing here.
Very swish indeed!

robin
01-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Phil, much appreciated.

Unfortunately this build has been plagued by my lack of planning from the outset. But hopefully it will all come together well. All I can do now is make sure that I finish it as best I can.

Cheers mate
rob

wokkaboy
02-04-2014, 01:17 AM
looking sweet Robin, what type of stain/colour did you use ?
The mods look excellent, don't worry about a plan, its all coming together well !

robin
02-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Thanks Warren, all encouragements gratefully received.

I used Feast Watson Golden Teak Prooftint. As mentioned earlier in the Thread, I also grain filled with a mixture of Hardwood and Jarrah Timbermate to try and bring out the grain.

Cheers mate
rob

gavinturner
02-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Stain looks fantastic Robin. With a couple more layers of Tru-oil that filled grain is going to look awesome. Loving this guitar already!!

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
02-04-2014, 11:08 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from robin on April 1, 2014, 08:00
Thanks for the encouragement Phil, much appreciated.

Unfortunately this build has been plagued by my lack of planning from the outset. But hopefully it will all come together well. All I can do now is make sure that I finish it as best I can.

Cheers mate
rob

Rob, about 99.99999999999999% of my scratch builds are done on the fly...

Used to drive my Sculpture Teacher at Art School nuts.. I would rock up with an idea in my head, make the sculpture and then draw the plan! 8-)

robin
02-04-2014, 12:55 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on April 1, 2014, 19:39
Stain looks fantastic Robin. With a couple more layers of Tru-oil that filled grain is going to look awesome. Loving this guitar already!!

cheers,
Gav.

Thanks Gav. Just did the 4th coat of TO today. Still too early to start sanding, but I will probably hit it with some steelwool tomorrow to get it a bit smoother before more coats and then a bit of light sanding. Each coat of TO is making it a little bit darker unfortunately, but it should still be OK.

Cheers mate
rob

robin
02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on April 1, 2014, 20:08

Rob, about 99.99999999999999% of my scratch builds are done on the fly...

Used to drive my Sculpture Teacher at Art School nuts.. I would rock up with an idea in my head, make the sculpture and then draw the plan! 8-)

Well, in that case I feel in pretty good company then ;)

Thanks Phil
rob

robin
06-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Just a quick update Guys.

I have just finished the 7th coat of Tru-Oil. So I'm about half way there.

So far I have been lightly rubbing down with 000 Steel Wool between coats, just trying to knock down the the small blemishes like dust etc that tend to stick to the drying Tru-Oil.

I figure that I have now built up enough 'base' coats, so from here on I will be wet sanding between coats. I'll start with 800 grit sandpaper and work through to 2,000. I will use White Spirit as the lubricant. I have tried wet sanding with Tru-Oil but just can't get the hang of it. It just turns out a sticky mess.

rob
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/020p5-002-6.JPG

Nickosaurus
06-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Far out. That honey colour look so good!

Love the carving you've done on the face too.

WeirdBits
06-04-2014, 01:52 AM
Really nice Rob, I don't think it's too dark at all. Great colour that works well with the carving, it's going to look amazing when assembled... and once again your signature gloss is building up nicely.

stan
06-04-2014, 02:05 AM
looks great, nice work there

glenno3228
06-04-2014, 04:41 AM
Hi Robin, good to have you back. Must be the month for return visits. Hope the fog settles for you soon. The guitar looks fantastic. Love the sculpting.

robin
06-04-2014, 07:28 AM
@Nick and Stan
Thanks Guys. Appreciate it.

@Scott
Thanks mate. As per usual the iPhone camera has done weird things with the colour. Its a bit darker than it looks and by the time I get another dozen coats of TO on it, it will be even darker. But hey, I can live with that.

@Glen
Thanks mate good to be back, just got to make it through the next week or so and things should improve.

Cheers guys
rob

pablopepper
06-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Hey Rob, do you buy your Tru oil locally or get it online? Loving the look so far.

robin
06-04-2014, 11:55 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on April 5, 2014, 20:28
Hey Rob, do you buy your Tru oil locally or get it online? Loving the look so far.

Hi Craig, I've only tried 2 Gun Shops in Brisbane, one out of stock, the other only had the small bottles, 3oz I think. So I get mine online from a Gun Shop in Sydney. Just checked their website and due to Aust Shipping Laws they can no longer post flammable items. :( I guess I'll have to source elsewhere when the new bottle runs out.

I've just finished my first 8oz bottle. It did 5 guitars and 7 necks!!

rob

gavinturner
06-04-2014, 08:03 PM
OMG Rob. 5 guitars from one 8oz bottle??? Wow. I normally use almost a bottle per. Amazing. I just had to do a day trip to said sydney gun shop (magnum sports) to stock up ;).

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
06-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Anything to get outta the house eh Gav :-?

robin
07-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Geez Gav, what do you do with it, drink the stuff?? :P

I'm usually applying between 15 and 20 coats per guitar. Apart from the first coat I try and keep them as thin as possible. When I was researching "how to", one of the tips I picked up was "keep asking yourself, and I rubbing it in, or wiping it off"?

But having said all that the finish on your Florentine is way better than anything I've been able to achieve. Maybe I should be using more. Lol

Cheers
rob

dingobass
07-04-2014, 08:58 AM
I have soooooo got to get you guys away from using that stuff..... :)

wokkaboy
08-04-2014, 12:24 AM
@ Robin --> looking sweet after 7 coats getting a nice shine, this will look amazing when finished and more coats
@ Gav --> are you like the Pest, drinking the clear coats ? presuming 8 oz is 240ml you must be laying it on thick!
@ DB --> since you are in the naughty room does that still give you the power to order forumites into the naughty room ?

robin
08-04-2014, 06:56 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on April 6, 2014, 17:58
I have soooooo got to get you guys away from using that stuff..... :)

Hahaha Phil, I know you are probably right, but this might be a tough one for you to win.

I've mentioned a few times that my primary goal is to make a "playable" guitar, sound comes second and looks a distant last. With limited finances I have to prioritize my spending, and the more I spend on the finish the less kits/hardware upgrades I can buy.

Of course it's always good if the guitar looks OK and, although labour intensive, TO is cheap and it fits the bill for what I'm after.

Cheers mate
rob

lawry
09-04-2014, 07:57 AM
I love this. It's like watching the tennis. Left, right, left, right, left, right. Score.

Hehehe. Keep it up.
:P

pablopepper
10-04-2014, 04:42 AM
Hi Rob, RE Tru Oil, QLD Gun Exchange 181 Wellington Rd East Brisbane. I just called them and according to the guy on the phone they have stacks (according to their website they are out of stock). Will drop in on friday afternoon and check them out.

wokkaboy
10-04-2014, 04:58 AM
hey Pablo what size bottles do they stock ? I had alot of trouble in Perth finding a larger bottle than 50ml but luckily the Gavmiester came to the rescue and his local gunshop stocks the 240ml bottle. You know this convo is going to get us another 2 weeks in the naughty room ! haha

pablopepper
10-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Their website lists quite a range up to 32oz. You might run into the same problem with shipping as Rob had, but I suppose you can call and find out.
http://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEWeb/product_search.seam?cid=230011
Search Tru oil.

wokkaboy
10-04-2014, 06:50 AM
cheers Pablo, doubt they would post it with the no flammable liquids rule for Australia Post, gee its cheap, $16.95 for 8 ounce and a bargain $28 for 32 ounces - problem I found is the 32 ounce didn't handle our summer and has gone gluggy, so I'm happy with a 240ml 8 ounce bottle

Gavin1393
10-04-2014, 07:30 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on April 9, 2014, 13:58
hey Pablo what size bottles do they stock ? I had alot of trouble in Perth finding a larger bottle than 50ml but luckily the Gavmiester came to the rescue and his local gunshop stocks the 240ml bottle. You know this convo is going to get us another 2 weeks in the naughty room ! haha

I am not even waiting for DB to read this post...I'll go start up the distillery.

wokkaboy
10-04-2014, 07:51 AM
haha sorry to dob you in Gav, don't worry I'll help you build the distillery and we will install it in the naughty room next week !

gavinturner
10-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Wow, $16 for an 8oz bottle?? Bargain! I paid $24 each on friday for 6 bottles. And before you ask, yes it's best served over ice ;).

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
10-04-2014, 09:26 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on April 9, 2014, 17:25
Wow, $16 for an 8oz bottle?? Bargain! I paid $24 each on friday for 6 bottles. And before you ask, yes it's best served over ice ;).

cheers,
Gav.

Git!

wokkaboy
10-04-2014, 09:50 AM
@ Gav you would be better buying 1 or 2 32 ounce bottles, 6 x 8 ounce bottles is keen !

robin
10-04-2014, 06:57 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on April 9, 2014, 13:42
Hi Rob, RE Tru Oil, QLD Gun Exchange 181 Wellington Rd East Brisbane. I just called them and according to the guy on the phone they have stacks (according to their website they are out of stock). Will drop in on friday afternoon and check them out.

Thanks for that Craig, when I was there last (a few months ago) they only had the small bottles. It's good to know that they have restocked. They certainly have it at the right price.

The naughty room is going to be crowded, but at least it will be well stocked, if Gav doesn't drink it all first.

Cheers mate,
rob

wokkaboy
11-04-2014, 12:04 AM
haha good comments Robin, when you are buying tru oil in 6 packs Gav T. must be drinking the stuff !

robin
11-04-2014, 10:11 AM
You'll know Gav's got a real problem when he goes into a Gun Shop and asks for a slab of Tru-Oil.

rob

dingobass
11-04-2014, 10:58 AM
The way you guys are going you will never get out of the naughty room...........

robin
20-04-2014, 03:08 AM
Finally finished. Not my easiest build, and just for good measure one fret was WAY lower than the rest, so I had to dress the others more than I would have liked. I also had to shim the neck because the individual saddle bridge was taller that the standard compensated bridge.

But enough complaints, she ended up looking better than I thought she would, plays beautifully, and sounds, well, like a P90 I guess. Never having owned a P90 guitar before I have no point of reference. Quite a bite to the top end when played clean, but really rocks once the overdrive is turned on. She's about as subtle as a sledge hammer, but is really starting to grow on me already.

Specs:
Lollar P90
Individual saddle bridge,
CTS pots,
Orange Drop Cap.

Cheers
rob

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/28jrf-007-4.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/iwi40-005-7.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/pa864-009-4.JPG

robin
20-04-2014, 03:10 AM
Just a few more
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/25g77-014-2.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/2gdk4-008-5.JPG
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/8wfu7-011-3.JPG

vh2580
20-04-2014, 03:13 AM
Rob
Looks awesome and the finish is beautiful

WeirdBits
20-04-2014, 04:07 AM
Stunning.

stan
20-04-2014, 09:34 AM
first class finish Rob, very nice. I see you have all the good gear on it - it must sound great

pablopepper
20-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Beautiful.

robin
20-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate the encouragement.

@ Stan - not sure how its supposed to sound lol. Clean it sounds pretty much like the Tonerider bridge pup on my TL, but dirty there seems to be more growl in the lower end. Loving it. But my ears are stuffed, so you wouldn't want to take too much notice of anything I say. lol.

Thanks again guys
rob

adam
20-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful guitar Robin.

robin
20-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks Adam, turned out better than I could have expected.

rob

zeromick
20-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Amazing finish and I love the subtle work done on the body, really nice job mate.

gavinturner
20-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Another beautiful job Rob. That's just tru-oil on the top? You never cease to amaze me how nice a finish you get. Beautiful job.

Cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
21-04-2014, 01:05 AM
sensational finish Robin, another masterpiece build, well done mate, sure this one will be entered in May GOTM !

robin
21-04-2014, 02:07 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from zeromick on April 20, 2014, 05:17
Amazing finish and I love the subtle work done on the body, really nice job mate.

Thanks Mick, I'd love to say that it was planned to turn out that way, but the honest truth is that I was just lucky.

Cheers mate,
rob

robin
21-04-2014, 02:18 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on April 20, 2014, 08:24
Another beautiful job Rob. That's just tru-oil on the top? You never cease to amaze me how nice a finish you get. Beautiful job.

Cheers,
Gav.

Thanks Gav, yep, just (22 coats) Tru-Oil. Coming from you I will take that as high praise.

Actually, the photos are VERY flattering. Sometimes a crappy iPhone camera can do you favours lol. I have seen your T-O creations and I can honestly say that you get a better finish than me. I think that the lovely contours in that body actually draw your eye away from the finish.

Cheers mate
rob

robin
21-04-2014, 02:30 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on April 20, 2014, 10:05
sensational finish Robin, another masterpiece build, well done mate, sure this one will be entered in May GOTM !

Thanks Warren, considering how it started, I even surprised myself.

As you know I only enter "special" builds into GOTM. LIke the ones I did for Bec and Serena. But this one is very special to me as I tried (and failed by just a few days) to finish it on the anniversary of the passing of my beloved Lyn Dian. So I may be entering this one.

Cheers and thanks mate
rob

maxaxe
21-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Simply delightful - a truly worthy tribute guitar.

lawry
21-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Wow, Robin. That gloss on that looks like syrup. It's fantastic. This is a really cool axe.

robin
21-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks Max and Lawry, your complements are greatly appreciated and mean a lot to me.

Cheers
rob

Fretworn
21-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Wow Rob, that looks incredible.

robin
22-04-2014, 05:55 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Fretworn on April 21, 2014, 08:25
Wow Rob, that looks incredible.

Thanks Geoff.