PDA

View Full Version : PKs Set Neck LP Junior

kells80aus
21-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Farouk, did I just dodge a bullet. Missus asked about the Carmine Gypsy Red Wudtone I have in the shed. Calmly told her it was for the next guitar that is paid for and I am waiting for delivery...... Adam , now you know Why! I paid up front. If the money is spent, aint Nothing can be done about that...given I am now out of work and out of Money. Might have to go to Singapore and live with me daughter... lol

Ok Here is the plan as it sits in my mind, remember that the kit is not due to arriv till some time in April. Why a set neck, given I hate set necks. Well set necks are how LP juniors came. Why Hate set necks, they are damned hard to get right. I am thinking of making a jig of some kind that will hold it in the right alighnment. After All I got it wrong on the RAW 335 kit. It's out by 10 mm at the heal of the guitar. But that's another story. To clear this up a bit last year I bought a Luthiers plan for a 59 LP junior. I looked at the plan and thought WTF. this shit is missing a lot of information. OK it has a lot of measurements and stuff, but a lot of critical measurements were missing. It's like they thought, lets sell this and see how many idiots build a piece of fire wood. Anyway. smart little me got some scrap wood and actually built my own fire wood. It'll get burnt this winter don't worry about that.

So in order to learn how to put a reasonable facsimile of a LP junior together I bought a kit from Adam. Had to beg a little, but he said, yeah we can do this, no problem. So, reseach begins. LP Juniors have one pickup. So how do you get a reasonable amount of tone out of this slab of hardwood. Well I could put a mini humbucker on it(remember, they come in a P90 size) and use a push pull pot. I've got some of them. Prob is I don't have a mini humbucker..Oh and for those that have no concept of what is available. You can get a dog eared mini humbucker to fit. OK. P90, how do I get a better range of tome out of that. Scottie, you should know about these wierd bits(*lol) , you use a push pull pot with two caps. Standard set up would be .023uf and .047 uf. BUT for those unfamiliar with electrical theory. If you put, say two .023uf caps in paralelle you get .046uf... so the range becomes interesting. if I have a set .023uf cap set up as a standard. and pos 1 of the push pull adds another .023, and the other pos adds .047 I can get .046 and .067uf. so you can actually experiment a little bit. Now you complicate this by the fact you can have a second push pull in the tone pot. Remember it is the caps that are the real difference between Fender and Gibson, and the reason why Fender are Brighter in sound...anyway, this becomes a three option set up.,

Oh F----k my mind is starting to spin a bit things are starting to get a bit Wierd...... :D ..

ANY WAY WE'LL START BASIC AND GROW FROM THERE.

F-in CAps lock.... again

Cheers PK

dingobass
21-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Tone controls on guitars.... Aaaaaaaaarg! I feel your pain..
This has led me the conclusion that tone controls are in fact redundant...
Why? I hear you ask....
Simple, most amps these days have parametric EQ so you can get all the tone you need from there!
Hence, i no longer bother with tone controls on most of my builds...

Gavin1393
22-03-2014, 12:45 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on March 21, 2014, 07:27
Hence, i no longer bother with tone controls on most of my builds...

....also obviates the need to have to wire them up!

Fretworn
22-03-2014, 01:16 AM
I like the idea of replacing tone controls with these. It might even get some use.
http://www.stellartone.com/index.asp

They are effectively a passive parametric EQ that boosts at 16 pre-set ranges, much better than the standard treble-suck tone control.

kells80aus
22-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Hi Guys,

I had a look at stellartone, but at $115USD a hit they aren't going to be near the top of my shopping list. But I do like the idea a lot. Right now I am trying to work out how to afford a $25 mini Humbucker...or a Chrome plated dog ear P90.. Bwahhh I should not have taken a redundancy package. Life was so much easier with money...

:D PK

kells80aus
25-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Just got a pair of Chrome Belcat Mini Humbuckers today. mmmmm Just need something to put them on. the LP Junior appears to have been lost in transition....

Cheers PK