PDA

View Full Version : Trimming the pickguard with a router?

quiet1_au
20-03-2014, 12:58 AM
I need to trim my pickguard to get it to fit around the neck and thought that perhaps a flush-trimming router bit might be the way to go - has anyone tried this?

My way of thinking is that the bearing guide will follow the neck socket hopefully give a better fit (and be less work ;) ) than trying to file it by hand which could potentially angle the edge and/or mark the wood.

Thanks,
John

pablopepper
20-03-2014, 02:56 AM
If you screw down the pickguard to ensure no movement, that should work, as long as your bit is small enough to get right in to the corners. A nice smooth base on the router would be a good idea so you don't scratch the guard.

Gavin1393
20-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Also depends on haw flat the top of the guitar is where you are planning to route. Id rather use a template....

dingobass
21-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Do it by hand! the eye is far more accurate than a router... take your time and you will get the best result.

quiet1_au
26-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I had a look at using the router but the cut-aways make it far too unstable... The router bits were blunt anyway. I should have borrowed the little laminate trimmer/router but I think even that probably would have struggled...

Plan B was to file but it was slow going even with the sharpest one I could get my hands on. I discovered something else worked though - using the edge of the file as a scraper did the trick, although with a little wood gouging in one place where it kept catching... A proper scraper (or maybe a razor blade/knife?) would have been a better option, but I'm happy enough with the result (a little trimming of the swarf with the razor blade finished the job).