PDA

View Full Version : Violin making video.

DanMade
14-03-2014, 09:54 AM
I came across this great vid documenting the build of a string quartet. It is such an art form the work these people do. Very interesting seeing all the traditional technique's used. Right down to using bamboo to smooth the surface inbetween coats of varnish.

http://youtu.be/0fUixINRBZY

lawry
15-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Hey Dan. I started watching the video expecting to catch a few minutes only but ended up watching the whole thing. He's a pretty impressive luthier. Man, the way he wields those chisels too. You can cut it off but you can't cut it on, and he just slices away.

lawry
15-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Hey Dan. I started watching the video expecting to see only a few minutes but ended up watching the whole thing. He's a pretty impressive luthier. Man, the way he wields those chisels too. You can cut it off but you can't cut it on, and he just slices away.

Gavin1393
15-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Someone seriously needs to buy him a router and some Wudtone! The process is very similar to building an acoustic. Actually watching this moving reminded me of a story sean Handcock told me when he and his brother dane went to learn from a classical guitar maker. The master luthier insisted on each student doing things the traditional way. They got to the point where they needed to trim the soundboard and the back in line with the sides. The master luthier made them use the purfling cutter to do this. It would have taken an hour easy to accomplish this. However, the luthier decided that since his student would be busy for an hour, he would take a break and left the students to theiir task. The moment the coast was clear Sean and Dane took out their routers and nailed the job in 5 minutes...

lawry
15-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Maybe he charges by the hour ;-)