PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, also fom Brisvegas

sulistbu
06-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Greeting all,
Thanks for great forum and abundance info here on DIY guitar.
Anyway I am looking forward to build my first guitar and hopefully share the progress with you guys :)

Regards
Budi

Brendan
06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Welcome along Budi - hope it goes well - what are your plans?

DanMade
06-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Sweet. Welcome along Budi.

keloooe
06-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Hey Budi, welcome to the forums!

wokkaboy
07-03-2014, 01:13 AM
Hey Budi,
welcome to the forum and we'd always recommend an easier kit to start with depending on your woodworking and electrical experience. What kit model have you got in mind ?
There are a few other PBG builders in Bris Vegas so sure they would be happy to help out any hiccups and fire off any questions on the forum we are more than happy to help.
Start a build diary and post lots of photos,
Take your time and enjoy the journey

Fretworn
07-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Welcome!

sulistbu
07-03-2014, 06:13 AM
Thank you all,
To Brendan I've ordered and now awaiting for LP1 with Wudstone Saffron to finish it off.
I have been a fender person for a while(got a squire strat for my first guitar, then Fender Strat Ultra and now also owned a Standard US tele), both Ultra and Tele were "gift" from relies. Can't afford any real Gibson guitars though fond and played borrowed SG when I was in High School band. So I thought I'll make it me own, now that I have time and I need a new hobby. Also if I finish it on time it may be (MAY BE NOT) a present for my son birthday in June. He's been learning to play guitar and wanna be like SLASH man ;)
To Wokkaboy, thanks I will definetely post a question if I am stuck, as far as electrical skill I am not too shabby, but for woodwork skill well, the chissel set my wife gave me 3 xmas ago is still in good nick ;)
But I will take my time ..
Anyway all, thanks again for the warm welcome

Regards
Budi

wokkaboy
07-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Hey Budi,
good choice a LP1 kit to start on, and good choice of colour saffron. If you have electrical experience this shouldn't be a problem as there's about 20 - 25 solder joins required in an LP1 kit.
Have a read of the quick start guide and how to build a Pit Bull Guitar thread.
Don't rush the sanding this is a common mistake not sanding out machine marks or possibly glue from the binding before applying any stain.
Big important tip is the flame maple caps are very thin on these models so don't over sand the cap !

Take some photos once you receive the kit and do a quick mock build to make sure it fits together ok !

Best of luck, the hard part is waiting for the kit to arrive !

sulistbu
07-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Thanks Wokka, you're right waiting is the hardest part. Why are you guys so far away from us, easterners :((
Again thanks for the advise
Budi

stan
07-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Welcome Budi!

Brendan
07-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Budi, as an ex easterner, I've seen the light and moved west... That said, I still can't support the shockers or west coast freegles. Have converted in my cricket support though - GO YOU SCORCHERS!!! hmmm that gives me an idea - a guitar in honour of their first win ....

robin
07-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the PBG family Budi.

There are a few of us Brissie boys here, so don't feel too lonely.

As others have said, just take your time and enjoy the ride. I can tell you from my experience, that finishing your first guitar is a pretty good feeling. The only problem will be choosing the next one. Oh yes my friend, there will be anothers. You can't stop at just one. ;)

Cheers
rob

Fretworn
08-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Quote from sulistbu on March 6, 2014, 15:13
...both Ultra and Tele were "gift" from relies.

Can we swap relies?

sulistbu
08-03-2014, 01:40 AM
LOL not too sure ... now and then they're a bit pear shape and I think I am already dis-owned

sulistbu
08-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Thanks Stan.

sulistbu
08-03-2014, 02:09 AM
To Brendan, well in all honesty the light is a bit too bright out west, I like it dim and found a lot of opportunities here in Sir Joh country. I am the other way round can't stand league but love Origin games. As for cricket hm.. they should allow people to bring their axes and stacks into the ground make the event a little bit livelier (is this a word?). Advance apologies to all criket and league fans

Brendan
08-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Don't worry - some of the people here are as dim as those in Qld - apparently people here still believe if you have daylight savings, you'll fade curtains and confuse cows :? . Good news is that those people aren't really interested in guitars either and aren't part of the forum, so I can say this stuff about them. Anyway - good luck with your build hope it goes well!

lawry
09-03-2014, 08:23 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on March 7, 2014, 21:35
Don't worry - some of the people here are as dim as those in Qld - apparently people here still believe if you have daylight savings, you'll fade curtains and confuse cows :?

And the extra hour of sunlight gives you more skin cancers! :o