PDA

View Full Version : quiet1_au from Melbourne (new to DIY guitars)

quiet1_au
28-02-2014, 10:29 AM
A former cellist & tuba-player, I have messed about with other instruments over the years too but I find the low-end works best for me so I decided to add a JBA-4 to my instrument clutter uh collection as my first ever build (see build diary forum) ;-) I haven't done any serious woodworking since school but have always been handy and like DIY - well the fun bits anyway! I figured this would be a good way to try building my own bass that I could mod and experiment with and which might encourage me to get into playing again (more than just messing around occasionally). A dangerous thing this DIY guitar making though, I've already got ideas for another kit build and maybe even a semi-scratch build (Danelectro)... ;)

John (quiet1_au)

Brendan
28-02-2014, 11:49 AM
John,
Have read your diary - great way to start. Don't need much by way of woodworking skills - my Dad had a screwdriver and a hammer and I think that was the limit of his tools. From memory as well Gav1393 was told to keep away from woodwork and he now produces some of the most beautiful acoustic guitars I've seen. You'll be fine. One recommendation is don't be shy to ask for help - generally easier to fix issues earlier than later :). Have fun & as Scott from Scotts Bass Lessons says - Get in the shed!

stan
01-03-2014, 07:53 AM
welcome!

keloooe
01-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Welcome to the forums John!
Keep up with the build, you will definitely come back for more kits haha! As Brendan said, never be shy to ask us questions during the build, we are all here to help you create the best bass possible!

Also, which part of Melbourne are you from?

quiet1_au
25-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Oops! I missed seeing your post keloooe - I'm in the Camberwell / Box Hill area

robin
25-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Hi John, welcome to the PBG madness. And you are right, its hard to stop at one.

Most of us here are first-timers who got addicted. Ask lots of questions and enjoy the journey.

cheers
rob