PDA

View Full Version : Wudtone Distribution in Australia

adam
26-02-2014, 09:56 AM
If you've been on our Forum for a while, you would be aware of the issues Pit Bull Guitars have with importing Wudtone. The fact that it is classified as a "Dangerous Good" means that it costs us a small fortune to get through Customs. It adds about 50% to the average landed cost for every order.

Andy (from Wudtone) has tried his very best to help us get over this hurdle, but, after 12 months of selling Wudtone, we can now look at the hard data and see that we are losing money on the product. A lot of money.

So, as much as we love the product, I'm afraid we will not be ordering any more Wudtone Custom Guitar Finish. We have good stock now, but that will be the last.

Andy is working on a new Australian distributor and we wish them luck in overcoming the pricing issues.

The good news is that we will soon have a comparable Guitar finish that will be made locally from non-hazardous materials, for a reasonable price. Stay tuned for an announcement.

WeirdBits
26-02-2014, 12:29 PM
wow, mixed feelings. Very excited at the thought of a new, local, finish to try... but, very sad that PBG will no longer be supplying Wudtone once the current stock runs out. I sort of see PBG kits and Wudtone as very much linked, especially with the fantastic results that have been achieved with the pairing - so it really is the end of an era.

It's sad, but if the costs are too high then you have no choice but to change, and we can just be grateful that PBG has carried Wudtone for as long as it has. Thanks Adam, and thanks Andy for a great product and here's hoping you can get a new Australian distributor.

Brendan
26-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Ads,
Understand the need to cut those parts of the business that aren't working - as you've said somewhere before - you plan on being around for a while... Great also that you've sourced something locally before you've run out. Great to hear and thanks for the heads up... Will miss that Dark Tease though...

Bass Guy
26-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Damn that's a shame, but looking forward to seeing Plan B.

Chin up, folks!

gavinturner
26-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Hey Adam,
Yes, it's a shame, but we all appreciate your efforts and understand that business is business. The fact that you have another option waiting in the wings just goes to show the lengths you will go to to give your loyal customers continuity of service. All your efforts are very much appreciated.

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
26-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Business is business, if you can't sell it for a profit, there's no point... Wudtone is amazing stuff whether PBG sells it or not, I used it on two guitars (one still in progress) and the level of finish is amazing, such a shame to see a friend of the business having to find another supplier...

Let's hope for a better future with the other finish! And Ads, will you still stock the Wudtone bridge plates adn pickups by any chance?

wokkaboy
26-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up Adsy, no point continuing if PBG are making a loss, look forward to the locally made stains and new pricing. I've had great experience with wudtone and will always regard it highly.
I just hope DB stocked up on conch girl ! haha

Fretworn
27-02-2014, 12:54 AM
That's a shame, but I understand that you can't continue if the red tape is making it too costly. You have to make the hard choices to keep the business viable.

DanMade
27-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Sad to hear. Looks like extensions are going to be needed on the naughty room.

Gavin1393
27-02-2014, 01:58 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from DanMade on February 26, 2014, 10:19
Sad to hear. Looks like extensions are going to be needed on the naughty room.

Way ahead of you...work is proceeding quite well in the Naughty corner err, room umm, arena!

Woks is responsible for WiFi. Brendan for the Fire Retardant, AJ for the beer fridges and general catering....even DB has offered to assist me with project management if he ever gets off his neighbors roof...

Pity that we could not have obtained the recipe under license from Wudtone, this may have made it all the more viable. I do think that anyone wanting to take this venture on, on the current basis is going to find similar problems as we did. Except that to make money on it they will need to up the price somewhat.

lawry
27-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Well, I guess it's all been said above. I've only done three guitars (all with Wudtone) and the finish has been great, but I've seen a lot of Wudtoned guitars here and they have been stunning. So... Plan B it is, as Eliot says. Let's start making hot guitars with something else. One thing I am certain about though is that you won't be supplying your clients an inferior product Adam. That's not how you operate.
Cheers.

dingobass
27-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Dont panic Lads and Ladettes.., I think you will be more than happy with the new products we will be introducing. Stay tuned for more announcements in the near future :)

Brendan
27-02-2014, 12:41 PM
OOoooohhhh something dark teasey?

26-03-2014, 07:34 PM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on February 25, 2014, 18:56
If you've been on our Forum for a while, you would be aware of the issues Pit Bull Guitars have with importing Wudtone. The fact that it is classified as a "Dangerous Good" means that it costs us a small fortune to get through Customs. It adds about 50% to the average landed cost for every order.

Just want to say thank you to all who have used Wudtone( via Pitbull) over the past year and a bit. It has been exciting watching so many awesome guitars come to life. The issues Adam refers to are not something we have any transparency / control of. It is a shame and something our other distributors don't have issues with. Indeed, I have never known of customs charges being affected by classification. They are usually affected purely by invoice value and so it is all a bit odd.

Wudtone is classified as a UN1263, (this is the same as a flammable ( as opposed to water based) paint). We ship in UN certified tins which still need to be packed in the UK by a person who has been trained and can issue a Dangerous Good note, plus the carrier has to be OK to take such goods. Quantas is the company we have been using. This does add £.8 to £1.20, to the inbound shipping cost per kit depending on size of shipment which is the same as with any paint /flammable liquids that come into Australia via air freight.

For anyone who may be interested we are operating in Spain an International Partner scheme. This is completely different, as it operates without a contract (and so zero invoice value) into customs. This may take away some of the odd problems Adam has mentioned. I don't think the scheme will be of interest to Pitbull, in so far as the contract between the customer is direct with Wudtone. The International Partner simply works on a fee basis to get the product ready and onward posted to customers.

SO
seeing, hearing all the disappointment, if anyone on here has some spare time, is interested in this alternative way of getting Wudtone products to customers in Australia whilst adding to their earnings, by all means contact me Andy Preston via mail@wudtone.com.

stan
26-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Very interesting Andy Preston, email sent

Fretworn
27-03-2014, 01:11 AM
I spent 10 years in a company that was importing alcohol from the UK, Europe and the US and it is not uncommon for Australian Customs to befuddle producers in those areas. We have very stringent Customs rules and practices that some companies (especually in continental Europe) just couldn't, or wouldn't, understand. (I'm not saying this is the case with Andy)

28-03-2014, 11:07 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Fretworn on March 26, 2014, 10:11
I spent 10 years in a company that was importing alcohol from the UK, Europe and the US and it is not uncommon for Australian Customs to befuddle producers in those areas. We have very stringent Customs rules and practices that some companies (especually in continental Europe) just couldn't, or wouldn't, understand. (I'm not saying this is the case with Andy)

Thank you. It all seems fairly easy to understand. re import duty for no alcohol/tobacco. This information provides the necessary clarity, see http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp#Goodswithadeclaredorassessedvaluenote xceedingA1000

and in particular the para "Goods with a declared or assessed value not exceeding A$1,000
If your goods arrive in Australia by mail and have a declared or assessed value of A$1,000 or less, the goods may be imported free of duty, taxes and Customs and Border Protection charges, unless they are alcohol products or tobacco products. Apart from alcohol and tobacco products those goods will be cleared by Customs and Border Protection and delivered by Australia Post without you doing anything."

as we are not talking about alcohol or tobacco, plus I know the values involved. It is a mystery which must be due to some glorious cock up or misunderstanding somewhere. It is wrong to state that other interested parties are going to face the same problem. We know for a fact that Wudtone can be imported into Aus free of duty as per the rule clearly stated above. Classification is a red herring as far as import duty is concerned.
kind regards