PDA

View Full Version : Binding scraper

kells80aus
25-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Ever struggled to clean the binding on your guitar. tried holding a razor blade tightly without cutting your fingers or slipping across the side of the guitar and taking some of the finish off that you didn't want removed.
AJ gave me an idea to wrap a saftey blade in masking tape. This was good, stopped the bleeding finger syndrome. I then thought what if I put some binding around the blade I could make it a tight fit and be able to control the blade scape depth more accurately. So I got two strips of binding about 75 mm long. I heated them up so I could fold them neatly in half. I got out my plastic glue. You know the type you glue model toys together with. It also glues binging. I dobbed a bit of glue on each end of the binding and then clamped the ends together till they dried. I tthen wrapped the remaining 20 mm of razor blade in tape. I hate getting blood on the work piece.

See Pics Below

Cheers PK
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/7phra-binding-scraper-004.JPG

wokkaboy
26-02-2014, 03:15 AM
wow what a very cool idea Paul, so does it work well and doesn't scrape too much of the binding off, it just removes the unwanted finish ?
no blood dripping on the build is a wise move !
Think I'll stick with steel wool !

kells80aus
26-02-2014, 05:13 AM
Hi Wokka,
of course it works. the trick is to make sure the binding strips are tight around the blade. any blade slippage would defeat the purpose. :)