PDA

View Full Version : Linseed oil... yes or no?

Dirty Dog
24-02-2014, 11:59 PM
I am a real stickler at times about 'natural' looking wood. I use linseed oil on walking sticks, and furniture builds... but what would it do to the sound of a semi hollow? I love how amber it gets, and how hard it gets after 20 or thirty coats hand buffed and rubbed. Opinions greatly appreciated.
I am cloose to purchasing both a 335 bass and a 335 guitar... I want them to match!

Gavin1393
25-02-2014, 06:48 AM
Linseed Oil will be fine on an electric body. Mix it with your preferred choice of Oil based Varnish in Satin or Gloss to get the appropriate finish you are after.

Bass Guy
25-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Sounds like a gorgeous pairing Mr Dog, make sure you keep us all up to date in the build diary section.

keloooe
25-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Speaking of linseed oil, how will it hold up as a fretboard sealer and how might I apply it?

Dirty Dog
26-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Gavin- I really like the very deep satin the oil alone creates. Do you think it would need a sealer, considering I am planning on 15- 20 coats each hand buffed?

Keloooe- I can't say about ffretborad per se, but I do know it dries to a rock hard finish on walking sticks. Short of dragging them on concrete... not much harms it. It is a very resilant finish that resists hand oils and liquid. The reason I want to use it is its durability and its lovely ambering effect although I doubt it would amber rosewood.... maple neck would look fantastic with it. Some of the more experienced builders would know if it might resist wound strings...