PDA

View Full Version : Shellacing.

kells80aus
24-02-2014, 12:08 AM
For those interested in the Finish on the Red Strat, this was achieved by applying Stew Mac Cherry Red Coloured Shellac directly to the bare body of the Strat. The result is that you retain that wooded texture as the pores of the wood are not filled with Filler. This is a process I have used before but with Tung oil over a brown water wash. In that instance the Water wash raised the fibres of the timber and each wash the surface was sanded down. I did this process about 5 or 6 times, before applying tung oil. The tung oil was applied with a rag the same way as you apply Wudtone. This aplication is totally different to how you apply Shellac. To apply Shellac you need to make up a rubbing pad. You use two 170-180 mm square squabs of 100% pure cotton. you fold up one of the sections of cotton into a flat squareish pad. you then place this at the centre of the other piece of cotton and fold up the sides. I use a piece of copper wire to bind around the squab to hold it to gether, or you could use a plastic tie. When applying the Shellac you apply it with the grain in a sort of swooping motion, just caressing the work with each pass. If the work gets to sticky you will need to squirt some metho on the squab.
It is important to note that the use of cotton is to stop threads pulling out of the squab. I've used a host of different types of material and they pretty much have all ended up blowing a hole in the squab and getting fibres all over the work. If this happenes with Shellac all is not lost as you can wipe all teh shellac off with metho and a clean rag. As to what type of Shellac to use. I found White Shellac produces a harder and glossier surface, but if you want that aged yellow look then standard Shellac is the go. you can buy Shellac flakes or premixed shellac from Bunnings or any big hardware store.
The application of the shellac should be three coats about half an hour appart, then leave for 24 hours then repeat coating step. When you are happy with the amount of coats you should leave the work for about a week before finishing off.
When finishing off the Shellac I use 0000 steel wool as it gives a nice smoothe surface. AJ recommends MacGuires polish to bring up the shine. I am yet to give this a try.

Cheers PK
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/9gq2c-originaL-STRAT-002.JPG

stan
24-02-2014, 08:41 AM
great post Paul. I've done a French polishing course myself.
Wet sanding with very fine grades every few coats can give a glass like finish - I have done an antique tea tray with well over 100 coats and it looks amazing. Took a while, but not as long as our antique table did...
You can also do what is called an Eggshell finish, when you actually lightly sand the final coat and leave it - gives a matte finish, and done properly looks pretty nice