PDA

View Full Version : LP trussrod adjustment

Pete
21-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Hi,

Trying to add a little relief to my LP kit neck. Turning the TR hex nut counter clockwise (looking down the neck from headstock towards bridge) appears to be working but slowly and feels very tight. Is this expected or am I missing something? I don't want to force it.

Cheers
Peter

WeirdBits
22-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Normally, right is tight, left is loose. This is from Gav's How to build your Pit Bull Guitar guide (page 3) (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=302.2#postid-4484):

On most guitars, the same rule for truss rods holds true: Right is tight, left is loose.(Pit Bull Guitars have a two way truss rod) Looking at the truss rod adjustment on top of the neck near the tuners, the right/left arrangement is from the top of the neck looking toward the body of the guitar.

If you have back bow, you need to loosen the truss rod, or turn the nut on the truss rod left. If you have bow, you need to tighten the truss rod, or turn the nut on the truss rod to the right. As a technique, It is a good thing to always loosen the truss rod before adjustment. If you start cranking the truss rod down, and it is already pretty tight, you may break it, and this is something you won't be able to fix at home in an afternoon.

There are generally two types of adjusters on truss rods: A nut for Gibson style truss rods, and a hex-head screw for just about everything else. The hex-head is type is used on Pit Bull guitars.

Make sure the hex-head driver that came with your guitar is well seated – you don’t want to strip it out, or again your have trouble on your hands. Generally about a ¼ turn is enough to move the neck. If you move it more than a full turn, you may have an issue.

Does that help? Is the neck under full string tension and are you giving it some time to settle after each adjustment?
(apologies if you already know all this, just trying to cover all the bases)

Gavin1393
22-02-2014, 01:19 AM
...make sure the strings are loose when you try and adjust the truss rod. If you strip the truss rod then you might as well throw the neck away as it will cost too much to fix. If you are not sure about what you are doing then rather consult a professional.
You do appear to be going clockwise (right) and hence if the strings are loose this should get you the result but it's not like you are going to be making several revolutions with the nut to get it right. 1/4 to 1/3 turn should do it, otherwise there is something else wrong.

Pete
22-02-2014, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the responses, was fairly sure I was doing the right thing just concerned on how tight it was. Will take it slowly and once it plays well will try and get it up on GOM for March.

Cheers
Pete