PDA

View Full Version : Tyro from Sydney

Mercury
19-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Hi All,

Been playing guitar and various other instruments for a number of years now and have quite a collection of instruments in our family, including pianos, trumpets, accordions, ukuleles, violins and a bass. I've never built anything from wood before, nor soldered or even really sanded. The benefits of a migrant child's upbringing. :| However doing something like this in the future with my eldest son would be an adventure to be sure. Now if only PitBull can get busy creating that Duo-Sonic kit, as suggested in the "New Kit Ideas" sub-forum, we can get cracking! ;)

Cheers,

Tony

wokkaboy
19-02-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum,
if you have no building experience I'd suggest starting on a simple kit like a ST-1 or TL-1 will help you learn and be better at building a duo-sonic kit if they ever become available !

Brendan
19-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Tony - depending on you're son's age, may also be worthwhile looking at the 3/4 strats that are due soon. In terms of the skill level required, from memory, my Dad had a hammer and a screwdriver - not much and as such I had no experience with either before my first build - am now on my 3rd, 4th and 5th. Given limited skills though, it would be good to go with a TL / ST / PB / JB kit to start with - all require limited soldering skills and come with lots pre-wired.

Mercury
19-02-2014, 09:29 PM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on February 18, 2014, 14:43
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum,
if you have no building experience I'd suggest starting on a simple kit like a ST-1 or TL-1 will help you learn and be better at building a duo-sonic kit if they ever become available !

Hmm, a tele in vintage white might be nice... 8-)

Mercury
19-02-2014, 09:33 PM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on February 18, 2014, 21:34
Tony - depending on you're son's age, may also be worthwhile looking at the 3/4 strats that are due soon. In terms of the skill level required, from memory, my Dad had a hammer and a screwdriver - not much and as such I had no experience with either before my first build - am now on my 3rd, 4th and 5th. Given limited skills though, it would be good to go with a TL / ST / PB / JB kit to start with - all require limited soldering skills and come with lots pre-wired.
A short scale would kinda look cool on him, but the mini might be a bit of squeeze as he's a big boy now, almost 13. Brendan, what do you do with all of your completed kits? Sounds like one might need a spare room dedicated to a hobby like this... ;)

Fretworn
20-02-2014, 01:28 AM
Welcome Mercury! What part of Sydney are you from? I'm up Hornsby way.

Scott J.
20-02-2014, 02:21 AM
Hi Mercury, welcome to the PBG clan!

You'll find that with just a bit of care and patience plus the instructional videos and all the guidance and advice the other PBG-fans provide on this forum, these PitBull kits will almost build themselves (well, the easier ones anyway! :D) and with a proper "set-up" done on it after you've finished, you'll find they make remarkably fine-playing axes.

Be sure to start a build diary and post lots of pics of your progress (we all like watching these guitars come together - whether its our own or someone else's!

P.S. I'd think the Duo-sonic would be a relatively easy mod for a strat once you confident - shorten and round-off the horns, narrow it down a bit and rout new positions for two p/ups instead of three (but of course you'd need a different scratchplate).

Mercury
20-02-2014, 02:34 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Fretworn on February 19, 2014, 10:28
Welcome Mercury! What part of Sydney are you from? I'm up Hornsby way.
Thanks mate! I'm down in Strathfield.

Mercury
20-02-2014, 02:49 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from Scott J. on February 19, 2014, 11:21
Hi Mercury, welcome to the PBG clan!

You'll find that with just a bit of care and patience plus the instructional videos and all the guidance and advice the other PBG-fans provide on this forum, these PitBull kits will almost build themselves (well, the easier ones anyway! :D) and with a proper "set-up" done on it after you've finished, you'll find they make remarkably fine-playing axes.

Be sure to start a build diary and post lots of pics of your progress (we all like watching these guitars come together - whether its our own or someone else's!

P.S. I'd think the Duo-sonic would be a relatively easy mod for a strat once you confident - shorten and round-off the horns, narrow it down a bit and rout new positions for two p/ups instead of three (but of course you'd need a different scratchplate).
Hi Scott J! Thanks for the warm welcome. I guess you could create a long scale version of the Duo-Sonic doing it that way. Buy a pickguard from eBay etc., but I'm not confident I could get away with it, seeing that I don't have the tools for such a retrofit. I'll see what the future brings first, maybe there'll be a kit someday...
Meanwhile, young fella needs to pick an axe type and colour as a start. :) Do you think an LP Jr is an easy kit to start with like the Tele or Strat?

wokkaboy
20-02-2014, 03:05 AM
Hi Tony,
I've never build a LP Jr but they should be quite straight forward to build, they only have 1 P90 pickup, 1 volume and 1 tone, so this would be a good entry level kit for you and your son to build.
Both the JR-1 and JR-1DC (double cut) are bolt on necks so less stressful than a glue in set neck.
Good choice !

Mercury
20-02-2014, 07:23 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on February 19, 2014, 12:05
Hi Tony,
I've never build a LP Jr but they should be quite straight forward to build, they only have 1 P90 pickup, 1 volume and 1 tone, so this would be a good entry level kit for you and your son to build.
Both the JR-1 and JR-1DC (double cut) are bolt on necks so less stressful than a glue in set neck.
Good choice !
Yeah, always been a fan of Juniors, straight forward rock n roll machines. We'll see what the little bloke thinks...

Timsan
28-02-2014, 06:48 AM
Heyo, bloke! Nice to have you aboard. Looking forward to seeing your build diary!

Brendan
28-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Quote from Mercury on February 19, 2014, 06:33
Brendan, what do you do with all of your completed kits? Sounds like one might need a spare room dedicated to a hobby like this... ;)
Tony - will tell you once I have completed them :) . At the moment I'm telling myself that they are loaners for friends that are wanting to learn how to play - if they get damaged, etc, it just means I need to sand them back and start again - no great loss. Also planning on a guitar and a bass per child - that means I need 3 of each... That said, the youngest is only 4, so I might have to break the guitars in a bit first... Add one or two extra basses for myself and I should be in kits for a while yet...
Now Gav (Maverick) / Wokks - how would you answer the question? :D :D :D

Gavin1393
28-02-2014, 08:24 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on February 27, 2014, 21:05

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Mercury on February 19, 2014, 06:33
Brendan, what do you do with all of your completed kits? Sounds like one might need a spare room dedicated to a hobby like this... ;)
Now Gav (Maverick) / Wokks - how would you answer the question? :D :D :D

I play most of them, sell some and decorate several rooms in the house with others!

stan
01-03-2014, 07:07 AM
welcome - the question is not what you do with them, but when can i get the next one...