PDA

View Full Version : Gordan Smith Graduate

housecat1977
17-02-2014, 05:33 AM
What our favourite ska guitarist Aaron Barrett from Reel Big Fish is modeling, other than a killer Hawaiian shirt, is a Gordan Smith Graduate.

I'd like to make one. The closest I can find in the shop is the JR-1DCS however, the pup and bridge are in the wrong position.

How hard would it be to either
a) blank off the holes and reposition the hardware
b) get a blank kit body for me to cut the right holes
c) get a kit made

IMO, c is probably least likely as I am probably the only one that wants the same guitar as this lol. And, b is more likely.

Either way, can it happen?
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/td8o3-image.jpg

DanMade
17-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Actually C might be your best option. Dingo Bass could probably do the body for you. I know you can order standard ST and TL style body's. But I think they are open to custom orders aswell, though the price may vary. Plus the timber would no doubt be top quality too.

Then you would just need to purchase a neck and hardware. This would probably cost a little more, but if you want to build something close to the original it would be your best option.

Brendan
17-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Second Dan. Build quality would be top notch as well. Though I think DB would prefer Warlock or Iceman shape, he may be able to get a JR shape as well.

dingobass
17-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Brendan, for mentioning those that must remain un said you have just earned yourself twelve months in the naughty room... no Pizza, no wifi... ;)

But to answer the question, Housecat, I could easily machine the body shape to your specs. The cost would be fairly close to our Tele body.
I would have to add a $50 surcharge for the templates required.
If you are interested, email me at dingobass@pitbullguitars.com

BTW, love his shirt! :)

Gavin1393
17-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Gee Brendan! And we were so close to getting the wifi privileges back too...he didn't say no beer though? Did he no, GREAT!!! It's good timing too because it's your round!

housecat1977
17-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Nice one. This has moved along a lot quicker than I expected!
DB, email to be sent.

I suppose my next question would is, how hard would it be to do the fretboard inlays? Would that be special order or could I do it myself?

Brendan
17-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on February 16, 2014, 18:08
Gee Brendan! And we were so close to getting the wifi privileges back too...he didn't say no beer though? Did he no, GREAT!!! It's good timing too because it's your round!

I did try to water it down with some nice things about DB's build quality... I also figured that he apparently has had a Warlock & Iceman sitting at his place to build for a while now - figured it must be like the nice things you leave on your plate until you've finished your greens :) . Sorry guys (and gals).

Shipment of Coopers Green Death due in tomorrow...

HouseCat - inlays could be done by yourself, but I'd get a pro to do it - there's a lot that can go wrong that close to the frets... I think they'd look sensational when done well.

Brendan
17-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Also looks like the guitar is bound - cream / black from outside in. Plug in a ToneRider and I think it would really be a hot guitar! Love the idea HouseCat!

housecat1977
17-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Nice pick up there Brendan. That binding really helps set it off.

I assume that by green death you're referring to Coopers pale ale. That's a new one for me, the last time i heard of green death was in reference to Southwark Bitter. I never tried it myself but from my dad's reports, if you could get past the first couple, it left a hell of an impression the next day!

Brendan
17-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Yep - green death is Coopers Pale - mind you the first time I saw someone rolling it across the table I had a second take - one of the locals had to remind me - River Torrens water - you've got to to stir up the sediment ;) . Coopers Pale is also one of DB's favourite tipples. But - chances are if he entered the naughty room, he'd be overwhelmed by the look of death metal axes and fumes from Tru Oil. Hence it should be safe in the naughty room.

Gavin1393
17-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Hear DB bought one of those 1944 gas masks.......and could be headed this way.....

Fretworn
18-02-2014, 01:34 AM
I think DB has confiscated the beer, but he's left lots of Conch Girl to drink......

housecat1977
19-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi DB, just wondering if you got my email? I've been having trouble with it this week and don't know who has got emails from me or not.

Hmmm, a re-read of that looks like one of those dodgy emails that go straight to the junk folder lol.

Brendan
19-02-2014, 12:27 PM
HouseCat - have heard that DB may be on a junket somewhere. Sure he'll get back to you soon though.

housecat1977
19-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Cool beans. Thanks for that Brendan.