PDA

View Full Version : Bare basics kit

kanelangmaid
13-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Adam,

Posted before but I thought is it possible to put together a very basic kit? Probably your most popular ones.

So just the body, neck pocket cut out, pickup route, (not sure about bridge mounting holes - maybe for the strat for trem).
Neck, no tuner holes but with fretboard and frets.

However that's it. Not hardware at all. That would allow us to customise our guitars with the bits we like to use.

Hopefully this would reduce the price a little based on no hardware.

Thoughts?

adam
13-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Hey Kane, you can order this kit now. I'm finalising an order now for April/May delivery. If you want something like this, you can subtract $50 from the RRP (for the hardware) of any kit and you would be close to the price. Just let me know what you want and I'll send you an invoice for 50% deposit.

Rob L
01-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Adam, somewhat along the same lines. Two of my builds in 2015 are gonna be Tele based.
One is going to be a fully hollow body solid top acoustic/electric tele and the other is going to be a double cutaway tele like Barge's.
My question is about necks. I see you can get a blank headstocks for the PRS styles. Is there any chance of getting blank headstocks for Tele style?
I want to do the headstocks 3x3 on both guitars.

I mean I can get them elsewhere but I want to make my builds using as much PitBull stuff as I can.

Thanks, Rob

Rob L
01-01-2015, 01:44 PM
I take that back! Seems no one has a blank headstock with a maple fretboard. They're all rosewood. Except Carvin and I really don't want to pay almost $300 for a neck.
If a blank for a Tele style isn't possible, I'll have to check the forum or ask about plugging holes and gluing wood onto the headstock so I can cut the shape I want. :)

bargeloobs
01-01-2015, 02:22 PM
I take that back! Seems no one has a blank headstock with a maple fretboard. They're all rosewood. Except Carvin and I really don't want to pay almost $300 for a neck.
If a blank for a Tele style isn't possible, I'll have to check the forum or ask about plugging holes and gluing wood onto the headstock so I can cut the shape I want. :)

You'd probably find Adam would be able to do a a special order neck but the wait times for custom stuff is ridiculous (like 2-3 months), I'd be inclined to get the Tele neck blank and dowel wings on the sides and plug the holes.
Check Max's thread here http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3132&page=2 he did the same thing with excellent results.
I guess the only issue you've got is having to paint to hide the joins but you may have been doing that anyway.
Just a thought...

Rob L
01-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Sweet! Thanks Barge!
Painting wouldn't be a problem for the double cutaway Tele since I'd be painting the whole thing (except the neck) anyway.
When it comes time for the Acoustic/Electric Tele, I'll probably just have to wait the 2-3 months for a custom one cause that one I want woodgrain with a gloss coat over it. Wouldn't be a problem. With all the stuff I make for my girlfriends business, stock and special orders and the time involved with routering the body and sanding it out and everything that goes with it 2-3 months is probably how long it will take anyway. :)