PDA

View Full Version : JR-1DC Demo - or something

gavinturner
07-02-2014, 04:10 AM
hi guys,

For those who asked for it, here's some sounds from the JR-1DC I built recently. Be warned, i play as well as i sing. Played through a Fender reverb amp with no effects other than reverb and overdrive supplied by the amp itself.

http://youtu.be/nmh41JR4dtA

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
07-02-2014, 04:21 AM
haha well done Gav that sounded fine to me, good on you for posting a demo video. The clean and distorted sound are pretty good from the single P90 pickup, great looking and great sounding axe !
Give yourself more credit for you ability. Playing is just like building everyone improves with more practice. I tend to spend about 90% of the time building and 10% playing so my playing hasn't improved in ages

stan
07-02-2014, 05:59 AM
great vid Gav - we are of about the same ability!

We love guitars, collect them, build them and modify them, doesnt mean you have to be good at playing them. As long as you enjoy, then who cares, well done on posting your vid , and when i post one I'll alert you to it so you can see that we all start somewhere!

DanMade
07-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Nice bright clean tone. It took me back to a 60's surf tone. Nothing to worry about your playing Gav, you were tearing up those rock riffs. Sounds good.

B.T.W. Next time you might want to turn your snare off, although it's kind of like having an auto drummer using brushes. ;)

gavinturner
07-02-2014, 09:10 AM
@Stan - thanks mate, well said!
@Dan - yeah Tim said the same thing about the snare. I can't believe I couldn't hear it. It's clear as day now!
Something to consider for next time!

Cheers,
Gav.

adam
07-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Sounds amazing on the clean channel, is that the stock pickup?

Personally, I'm really smitten with these JR kits, I love their simplicity and I had no idea they had such a rich sound. Well done Gav, I for one am lovin' yer work.

gavinturner
07-02-2014, 10:19 AM
@Adam - thanks! Yeah it's the stock pickup played with the tone circuit bypassed for the most part. It's just the raw P90! Sounds great. I'm amazed at the sound from the factory hardware to tell you the truth. This is the first kit I've built where I kept the stock pickup(s) and it has been a real eye opener!

Cheers,
Gav.

Brendan
07-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Great vid Gav - certainly a better player than I am! Thanks for posting - like many others I thought it wouldn't sound as good as an axe with a couple more pups, but it certainly does sound good!

gavinturner
08-02-2014, 12:23 AM
@Brendan - thanks. Yes the P90 generates a surprisingly full sound!

Cheers,
Gav

Fretworn
08-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Dang snare drum!.......

Great job. Sounds as good as it looks.

gavinturner
08-02-2014, 04:01 AM
@Fretworn - thanks Geoff. Yeah the snare buzz is a bit embarrassing now. Can't believe I couldn't hear it ;) .

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Gav you were concentrating playing the guitar and only heard what was coming out of the amp. Lesson for next time I guess ! I don't have that problem my drummer runs on 240 volts ! haha

lawry
08-02-2014, 09:27 AM
That's the first JR kit I've heard and I like it. My granddaughter wants one in hot pink so I think I can see another build coming up.
And your playing seems OK to me Gav. Why don't you Skype me and well jam together with a 4second delay ;-)

gavinturner
08-02-2014, 10:40 AM
@Lawry - It's a great kit, your granddaughter will love it! Even with a 4-second delay I couldn't keep up with you dude! :) .

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
09-02-2014, 01:53 AM
@ Lawry, hot pink JR kit, DB could have his second conch girl sale coming up ! haha
@ Gav, a 4 second delay may sound cool, who knows !

jarrod
09-02-2014, 03:12 PM
How about I join in and we could almost have a Boss delay pedal happening lol...
Sounds great Gav and really does look the part too dude.

lawry
09-02-2014, 10:37 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from jarrod on February 9, 2014, 00:12
How about I join in and we could almost have a Boss delay pedal happening lol...
Sounds great Gav and really does look the part too dude.

Sounds like a plan, Jarrod.
@Gav. Put a mic on that snare. We'll need a drummer 8-)

crundes
10-02-2014, 05:56 AM
Nice demo Gav. Sounds great! I Especially like the clean channel sounds nice and warm. Nice playing too :-)

maxaxe
10-02-2014, 08:41 AM
That sounds great to me 8-)
It's very encouraging to hear that wide tonal spectrum from one HB too.
I'm currently building a single HB axe. If it gets anywhere near your sound I will be well pleased.

gavinturner
10-02-2014, 09:04 PM
@Jarrod, @Tim, @Max - thanks for the encouragement guys.

Same goes for everyone else who posted. I really appreciate everyone's positive comments and encouragement. I don't rate myself as a player, and it took me a good long while to decide - what the hell - and to post a demo anyway. Your comments have helped immeasurably to bolster my confidence. Yet again it proves to me what a fantastic bunch we have here in the PBG forum! Thanks one and all.

cheers,
Gav.

kells80aus
06-04-2014, 11:47 PM
I think the Junior sounds pretty damn good. PLaying skills are better than mine.. :D

PK

gavinturner
07-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Thanks Paul. Yeah it's a great sounding guitar and so nice to play with the Wudtone neck. I'm very tempted to build another one :).

cheers,
Gav.