PDA

View Full Version : Decals on Wutone finishes

Andyport
28-01-2014, 11:46 PM
That's right, the sticker guru is asking questions on stickers. :D :D

Having never used Wudtone, (I know, I know, naughty corner and all that), do you guys use waterslide or computer cut vinyl stickers on a Wudtone finished ST type headstock?

Which would work best on Dark Tease?
is Dark Tease too darker colour for a waterslide decal to work over?
and, do you have to put Wudtone finish coats over a waterslde decal to hide the decal edge?
or, just go with a vinyl cut sticker straight on top of the finished headstock?

So many questions.
and NO, it's not for me...it's for a client!!

Cheers guys,
Andy.

Gavin1393
29-01-2014, 12:24 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Andyport on January 28, 2014, 08:46
Having never used Wudtone, (I know, I know, naughty corner and all that), do you guys use waterslide or computer cut vinyl stickers on a Wudtone finished ST type headstock?

Which would work best on Dark Tease?
is Dark Tease too darker colour for a waterslide decal to work over?
and, do you have to put Wudtone finish coats over a waterslde decal to hide the decal edge?
or, just go with a vinyl cut sticker straight on top of the finished headstock?

Waterslide decals will work on lighter colours...

Dark tease is too dark IMHO, which is why I contacted you to look at the vinyl which works fantastically. BTW, did you get my last e-mail on the 'Please sir can I get some more?" Vinyl is definitely worth looking at for darker colours.

lawry
29-01-2014, 02:16 AM
Hi Andy. I am not trying to contradict The Gavmeister but I put a waterslide decal on the dark tease of my RC-1 build and thought it was OK.
The body, however, was much darker so it probably wouldn't have worked so well there.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ch102-image.jpg

Andyport
29-01-2014, 03:30 AM
@ Gav: Got your email, glad you are happy with them, the photo of your finished headstock looked excellent.
Will email tomorrow...40 degrees here today makes for a very unproductive day!!!

@Lawry: thanks for that, that looks real good.
Did you use finish coats over the decal to hide the decal edge?

lawry
29-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Hi Andy.
I cut the decal following the shape of the writing so that there was a nice flowing non-square edge. I then applied it to the final colour coat and then put the clear coats over the top. It's nearly impossible to see the edge unless you look for it.

MetalMatt
29-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Hi Andy, my experience is the same as Lawry's. I've done 3 guitars now where I've put all my Wudtone colour coats on, then applied the waterslide decal, then applied the Wudtone clear coats over the decal. All my necks were colourless, vintage amber and vintage yellow, so all pretty light colours.

Gavin1393
30-01-2014, 01:09 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from lawry on January 28, 2014, 11:16
Hi Andy. I am not trying to contradict The Gavmeister but I put a waterslide decal on the dark tease of my RC-1 build and thought it was OK.
The body, however, was much darker so it probably wouldn't have worked so well there.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ch102-image.jpg

My logo's are more of a multicolour Paua range of colours. This makes it more difficult to maintain a uniformity of colour especially where similar colours are used.