PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a ES-1GT

cole
21-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Hey guys
i purchased a ES-1GT it looks amazing already in all its peices.
Im frothing to get it started but i dont know how to go about soldering everything with such little workspace, i think all i have to play with is the f holes on the top! has anyone done these or something like this and can give me a complete novice some helpful advice or tricks!!!. I've watched some videos but i cant seem to find a guitar similar all else seem to have areas that are open.
Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated
Cole

Gavin1393
21-01-2014, 10:41 AM
I can send you the number for the same psychologist that DB, Wokka and I are still using a year later......

Or......

You could have a look at a world first.....we think that our own forum originated this idea. Everyone else was recommending string!!!!!!
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=230

cole
25-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Thank you Gavin ill love that number!!!!
that should give me something to play with i was also thinking string but wasnt sure the tubing is great

mcgrawaw
28-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm about to tackle wiring my ES-1G L...so I'm feeling your pain.

I've also seen (and I'll have to do some digging in my youtube history and post it back up) where you put all the parts through a shoe box in the exact configuration, prewire it all outside the box, then stuff it all in the F-hole...

Looked "Easy" enough.

Once I find that link I'll shoot it up here.

mcgrawaw
28-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L2h2DBL3p0

Gavin1393
28-01-2014, 09:42 PM
If you have a look at the thread i put together showing my method you will see that I used a flat piece of perspex, however, I did that so that folks could see what was happening above and below the surface of what I was doing. Any flat piece of cardboard or wood will do. Just needs to be thin enough to attach the pots. The key reason is to get an idea how long the wires need to be although we do recommend soldering away from the finish of your guitar so this method should be used for all guitars where possible. I believe the beginner should make these wires longer so that you can individually remove a pot or switch from the body if something is buzzing or simply not working. Its not as easy as it looks though because when you start to pull things through the 'f' hole things begin to get tangled! That's when tempers get frayed.....
I do like how it has been taped up to minimise the tangle possibility. Now, do I remove all my wiring from my build and redo it this way....Not a chance! Not with the money I spent on counseling!

pedro
17-03-2014, 03:08 AM
Hi guys,

I wired up my 1G last year and after ungoing the recommended counselling managed to get some very good use from a lovely bit of kit, however just recently one of my pickups failed....after breaking out in a cold sweat with the possibility of having to rewire the whole thing I placed the axe gently in the corner and eventually contemplating a return to insanity, I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and downloaded the wiring diagram, which was quite different to the wiring diagram I had used previously, and after removing the previous wiring through the F once again I tried to rewire using the existing pots and wires which proved to be more frustrating than I could imagine. So I took myself off to purchase four new pots and more wire...I have rewired according the new general wiring diagram for 2 humbucker, 4 pots and a 3 way switch......I still have all the wiring outside of the guitar and it doesn't work on all three switch positions only one (the bridge pickup)....I am now beginning to consider that the switch might be faulty...without buying a new one, is there any way to check the switch and what was the rationale behind changing the wiring configuration of the 1G please.

Regards, Pete

Brendan
17-03-2014, 05:47 AM
Pete,
In terms of checking switches - check out DingoBass' post in the below - multimeter - red to in from the pickup, black to output from the switch. See how that works.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=230.5

In terms of changes to the wiring diagram, as with everything, there's more than one way to skin a cat. The guys at PBG have tried to standardise all the wiring diagrams to be consistent. Is one way better than another - depends on the person - some like to have their caps between pots - others wire and do it that way. Both work and give a similar outcome - as such neither is wrong. If however there are problems with a wiring diagram - put in a post - I'm happy to update them and correct any defects.

Hope this helps & good luck!

pedro
17-03-2014, 06:13 AM
Thanks Very much for your prompt reply Brendan, no I don't believe there is anything wrong with the diagram, rather with (1) the operator or(2) the switch, I have triple checked my wiring but I was intrigued to see both pickup ground wires going to the neck volume pot....!!

Cheers, Pete

Brendan
17-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Pete - bear in mind - all of your pots will be grounded to each other with the wires marked in purple. Apparently having both pups go to one pot will reduce the chance of forming a loop or something like that... In reality, I don't think it matters if they go to one pot or the other - so long as they are all joined together (and not in a loop :) ).

pedro
19-03-2014, 03:47 AM
Thanks Brendan, I have checked the switch with my multimeter and it would appear to be faulty, I have checked with guitar parts suppliers who have come up with LP or Gibson three way switches which bear no resemblance to the one supplied, (in fact they are much larger and longer and have different contact points) and at $45 I am not prepared to take the risk without checking with you.

Maybe I can buy a replacement switch from PB or Dingobass

Regards,

Peter

Brendan
19-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Pete - that does sound steep.

I'd suggest sending DB an email at dingobass@pitbullguitars.com. He may have a spare floating around (or at least be able to scrounge one up for you).

Last option - have you tried RealParts.com.au? Maybe - http://www.realparts.com.au/electronics/toggle-switches/box-style-3-way-toggle-switch.html ? Will still set you back ~$20 odd with postage, but certainly better than $45.

Brendan
19-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Pete - just sent DB an email and link to the thread - hopefully he'll be along soon and get back to you.

dingobass
19-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Pedro, I will have a new switch in the mail to you tomorrow...
Thanks Brendan :)

Brendan
19-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Love it when a plan comes together! Thanks DB!

dingobass
20-03-2014, 09:37 AM
New switch on its way Pedro :)

pedro
21-03-2014, 01:10 AM
Thanks very much DB, much appreciated.

stan
22-03-2014, 02:51 AM
just shows the pitbull staff team rock

Brendan
22-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Quote from stan on March 21, 2014, 11:51
just shows the pitbull staff team rock
Agreed - scary thing is they're getting better :D .

pedro
26-03-2014, 04:13 AM
All working fine now thanks to you all....

and now the easy bit - getting the wiring back inside the body....aaarrhhhggg........!!!

dingobass
26-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Heat shrink tubing makes the job a lot easier.... if you need it, i have the phone number of a really good psychologist..

Brendan
27-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Great to hear!