PDA

View Full Version : Updating Mini Humbuckers on Firebird

ksan1959
20-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Hi.
I am new to the community and mid-way through my first build (SG-2). Thoroughly enjoying the process and learning heaps!

I am about to purchase the Firebird kit (FB-1) and will want to upgrade the mini humbuckers on it. I am considering GFS minis - particularly their fat overwound minis, as I am looking for that kind of tone. Has anyone here upgraded Firebird pups? Recommendations?

On the GFS website they say that their "Fat Mini - Fat Alnico V's" are designed to fit the Firebird, and their "Fat Mini - Overwound Alnicos" are "P90 soapbar style minis" - which I think means that they are the same size pups but with a different mounting plate. Is this correct? I don't want to buy a pickup that won't fit straight into the firebird.

Thanks!

pablopepper
21-01-2014, 01:25 AM
There are two types of mounting available for the mini humbuckers. You want the 'Firebird Style Metal Trim Ring' type as the others are designed to replace P-90s which the FB-1 kit is not routed for.

ksan1959
21-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Thanks!

The FB-1 kit already comes with the trim rings, so I assume that any mini-humbucker will fit straight into that. In other words, my understanding is that when a supplier such as GFS advertises an overwound "fat mini humbucker" with a "universal P90 soapbar trim ring", that it is simply a standard sized mini humbucker with a P90 trim ring - so that I can discard the trim ring and mount the pup in the supplied FB-1 trim ring. Is that correct?

Sorry to be pedantic - but I want to be certain before I fork out the dollars.

Cheers

pablopepper
21-01-2014, 02:26 AM
I would assume so, but can not be 100% sure. If it were me I'd just go with the Fat Alnico Vs to be sure.

ksan1959
21-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks again.

After more careful research I have discovered that while all mini-humbuckers are the same size (2 5/8" x 1 1/8" ), the spacing between the mounting screw holes varies. This means that minis with a P90 trim ring won't generally fit into a Firebird trim ring. The safest course appears to be to do as you suggested - purchasing pups that are designed for the Firebird.

Thanks for your help.