PDA

View Full Version : ESB-4 action

kevbass
16-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Hi Folks
have just finished the ESB4 semi acoustic bass. Looks sensational in Burning Sun but when the neck is fitted into the pocket the action is just too high even when the bridge is at the lowest setting. I have had to steam the neck joint off again. Any suggestions on the best way to remedy this would be welcome. The neck to body fit is tight, should I try to glue a thin piece of wood between the neck and neck pocket to raise the neck and lower the action?

dingobass
16-01-2014, 02:06 PM
The best way round is to make a thin wedge shaped shim that fits hard up against the body end of the pocket.
This will kick the neck back and give you the correct string height.
It will take a bit of mucking around but will give you the results you desire.
When you have the correct action height, glue the wedge and neck in at the same time.

kevbass
16-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply. I will try and manufacture a shim.

stan
17-01-2014, 02:45 AM
Dont forget pics, Kev

Bass Guy
17-01-2014, 04:25 AM
Yes, please keep us posted on your progress. I am due to start my ESB4 in a week or two....

Plus I'd love to see what it looks like finalised.

How did you go with the machine heads?

kevbass
17-01-2014, 06:00 AM
ok will post pics when I get it back together again . it looks great. Machine heads would not quite fit on headstock ,had to grind a tiny bit off each one to get them square.

gavinturner
17-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Hmm grinding the tuners huh? Maybe that is the best way to approach it. I was thinking of filling the holes and redrilling for smaller tuners. Might try grinding the existing tuners first as they were going to be discarded anyway. Thanks Kev!.

Cheers,
Gav.

kevbass
18-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Yes Gav, I just ground off the dome on the end where the opposite tuners meet and they just fitted on.
Cheers
Kev