PDA

View Full Version : Build Your Own Guitar Workshops

adam
11-01-2014, 09:17 AM
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but I always get sidetracked.

I have always thought there's a fantastic business opportunity for conducting Guitar Kit Building Courses in each State.

If you're pretty confident in your abilities, knowledge and experience in putting together our kits (you know who you are), why not share that with others in your community who may be interested in this fun hobby.

You just need to advertise a "Build Your Own Guitar" course in your local print media/social media/local shops/wherever and see what response you get.

You will need to find a venue; mate's workshop/warehouse/music store/community centre, etc, that you can use for say 6 weeks at a time. You'll need to be able to keep all the stuff there.

We can supply you with the kits and Wudtone that your students want (you can ask them to pick their kit and Wudtone finishes from our site), at a discounted price and we can deliver to you before the course starts.

We can also throw in Luthier's kits, Sanding kits and Shielding kits for each guitar kit, so you have all the materials you need. You'll just need some basic tools.

If you're charging a "set price" for the course, you might need to limit the selection to ST-1, TL-1 and LP-1 kits, otherwise everyone will order ES-1G kits and you won't make any profit. Or maybe offer a "Standard" and "Deluxe" level course, where the ST-1 level course is $300 and the ES-1G level course is $450.

Personally, I think $300 (even $400) is very reasonable for a 6 week course where you get to learn how to build a guitar from a kit and you end up with an awesome, playable guitar at the end of it.

If I have piqued your interest please email me and we can talk about the details. My only request is that if we are going to put our name to your course and advertise it on our Facebook page, we'll need to feel comfortable that you have a solid plan.

lawry
11-01-2014, 09:31 AM
I think that is a brilliant idea Adam. I'm not saying I can do it, because I don't have anywhere near enough skill. But I would definitely have gone to one of these workshops if they had been offered locally.

AJ
11-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Although In am relatively new to this addiction, I'd be interested in helping out fellow builders in the western area of Melbourne (the Geelong side of Melbourne), I have basic wood working skills, and an eye for detail. Let me find out if I can get access to the men's shed in hoppers crossing, that would be a perfect venue for such a project.

gavinturner
11-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure I have enough knowledge, but maybe i could do it if it was just bolt-on neck kits.
I'll have a think about it. Would be for the central coast area (NSW) I guess..

Cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
12-01-2014, 06:18 AM
Hi Adam, good idea, I'll have a chat with Wayne and see if he's keen to run a course, we'd have enough room for about 2 or 3 students, maybe one afternoon a weekend. If not I'd be happy to help at Gavmesister's man cave if he is keen to run a course, sounds like it could be fun teaching students this fantastic (and addictive) hobby !
@ Gav and AJ, you guys have the skills and experience to teach some students to build a kit, make some more room in the naughty corner fellas ! haha

adam
12-01-2014, 07:21 AM
Hey Wokka, I did some maths and you would need at least 6 students to make it financially viable, unless you just want to give it a go and make a few bucks or break even. I think it's a good idea and you could really grow a small hobby business out of it. I'd have no problem putting our name to it if you were involved. You just need to sort out a lesson plan over say 6 weeks. Also, the key will be in marketing the course, and I am happy to help with that; both with advice and financially (as we benefit from kit sales). For instance, you tell me what your local Community Paper is and we'll cough up for a small Advert over a few weeks before the course starts.

wokkaboy
13-01-2014, 02:21 AM
ok thanks Adam for the advice and support, I'll have a chat with Wayne this arvo and see if it could happen. We'd have to find a venue to host 6 or more students

dingobass
14-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Nice idea.. But you will need some serious insurance cover..

wokkaboy
15-01-2014, 12:00 AM
good point DB, we'll have a chat about it when we catch up. I'd be planning to get the students to sand by hand so the only power tool needed to build a kit is the power drill.

Gavin1393
15-01-2014, 03:44 AM
DB and I can make guest appearances Wok's.....

wokkaboy
15-01-2014, 05:27 AM
that sounds very cool Gav, as long as you wheel in a keg of conch girl ! haha