PDA

View Full Version : MMB -4 Wiring Problems

dgl11
02-01-2014, 04:07 AM
This is my 3rd Pitbull guitar and I am having some problems with the wiring.

I found this wiring diagram as recommended on the forum.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=musicman_passive_2v_1t

It all looks straight forward, however, the humbucker that comes with the kit has two wires (white and unshielded) - see the image. The diagram suggests I need 5! So what's wrong, the pickup or the diagram? I am guessing the pickup. Appreciate any light anyone can shed on this.

Also another problem is locating the bridge. When I look at pictures of the real guitar the bridge seems to be set at the edge of the guitar. However the hole drilled for the earth wire means I need to bring it in more than a centimeter. I am guessing their is a simple rule to establish the location of the bridge for a bass. Once again any help appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/zpf7v-pickup.jpg

Brendan
02-01-2014, 05:00 AM
For the Bridge Position, DB has posted a couple of photos on how to set them up for basses on this thread:
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=280.1
I used them and found them dead basic to do - trick being having the 4 clamps (I suppose a spare set of hands may work as well).

As for the pickup, I was looking for a wiring diagram for the MMB-4 last night. Any chance you could post a photo of the back of the control plate? From the looks of the pickup, there may not be anything wrong with it - it may just not be coil split. You can check the pup works by checking the impedence using a multimeter, but a non split 'bucker can have 2 wires.

dgl11
02-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Brendan. Thanks for the advice. Here is a picture of the the back of the control plate. I guess while the pickup might be OK with two wires I am then confused as to why there are two volume controls?
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cmo4o-IMG_1793.jpg

Brendan
02-01-2014, 08:40 AM
/Quote from dgl11 on January 1, 2014, 14:57
Brendan. Thanks for the advice. Here is a picture of the the back of the control plate. I guess while the pickup might be OK with two wires I am then confused as to why there are two volume controls?

Just what I am trying to work out...

Have just called in the experts for assistance. We'll get something to you soon.

Forgot to say earlier - the key distance is from the nut to 12th fret, 12th fret to bridge - distance from back of the guitar is somewhat irrelevant.

lawry
02-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi. Normally on a MusicMan there is a split coil humbucker and you use a volume control for each coil split, hence the two volume pots. However, it sure does look like your pup only has two conductors (signal and shield) therefore you really only need two pots (volume and tone). Not sure why you would have been supplied with that type of pup.

Brendan
03-01-2014, 02:44 AM
Lawry and Dave - checking with DB and Adam on this... DB is going to check if he has the same thing.

pablopepper
03-01-2014, 03:49 AM
I just checked the pickup from my PBH kit, strangely enough it has the five wires. I'm getting new pickups to go in to my kit, so I'd be happy to send you this one if you want it.

AJ
03-01-2014, 09:53 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on January 2, 2014, 12:49
I just checked the pickup from my PBH kit, strangely enough it has the five wires. I'm getting new pickups to go in to my kit, so I'd be happy to send you this one if you want it.

Ah ha! the kit one is a split coil Bucker.. ;)

dgl11
04-01-2014, 09:49 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on January 2, 2014, 12:49
Craig, that would be awesome. I just want to wait and see if there is a response from Adam or DB as clearly their is a kit problem they need to sort out. Cheers, Dave

pablopepper
04-01-2014, 10:59 PM
No worries Dave. Sometimes you've gotta take the good with the bad with these kits, I still think they're great value. PM me your address on facebook and I'll get it to you asap.

dgl11
07-01-2014, 10:36 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on January 4, 2014, 07:59
No worries Dave. Sometimes you've gotta take the good with the bad with these kits, I still think they're great value. PM me your address on facebook and I'll get it to you asap.
Pablopepper, thanks for the generous offer. I am happy to settle up for the pickup. I messaged your FB account with my address, but since we aren't friends the message will turn up in your other folder. If you click the message dialogue there is a greyed out other option next to the normal inbox. It should be in there. Cheers, Dave

pablopepper
08-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Sorry mate, I've been having a spot of trouble with my internet for the last couple of days. Just figured how to get to your message on my phone. I'll get it to the post office tomorrow.

adam
25-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Hey Dave, firstly, sorry I am late to this thread. Brendan just let me know that you have a problem and he forwarded me a link to this thread. The Forum is so active lately that I literally can't read every post. I completely missed this one.

Anyhoo, this MMB-4 kit is a brand new kit that the supplier had just released when I ordered them. So, unfortunately, you are a bit of a guinea pig for this kit. And, clearly, it looks like they've really messed up with the pickup supplied with the kit.

I've emailed them to sort out a solution.

I will let you know when I get a response and hopefully have a solid resolution for you. Maybe we can even flick you one of our new Tonerider pups to sort you out.

I'll be in touch soon. Thanks for being so patient.

xDruichii
29-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Hey guys sorry to bring up an old thread. But I was just wondering with the mmb4s wiring, is the white wire coming off the control panel the earth? Doesn't quite reach where I need it go if it is. But on the wiring diagram the earth is connected to the tone pot instead of the volume pot. I'm not great with electronic so should I just extend the wire? Or rewire it to the tone pot like it is in the diagram. My control panels wiring is the same as the early photo in this thread. Thanks

gavinturner
30-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Since the backs of all the pots are electrically joined (they all need to be earthed), the ground wire can come off any one of them. If you need it longer, just unsolder the white and chuck in a longer one. Personally I always add another wire from the back of the same pot to the shielding to ground it out, so add a longer wire at the same time.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Gav.

xDruichii
30-05-2015, 07:24 AM
Thanks gav, I ended up just drilling a closer hole to the bridge for it. I have another question if you guys are up for it.
Where my control panel connects to the body is weird. The hole doesn't quite line up right, one of the screws doesn't have any wood underneath it. Is this normal? Should I just glue that one in?

wokkaboy
30-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Hey xDruichii, can you please post a photo ? Is there anyway to realign the control panel so it does have wood under all the screw holes ? I can't remember how the MMB pickguard and control panel all line up

xDruichii
30-05-2015, 09:53 AM
ok i've taken some pictures.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/The_Taking/DSC_0037.jpg
this is a photo of how it sits at the moment
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/The_Taking/DSC_0038.jpg
this is a photo of the routing
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/The_Taking/DSC_0039.jpg
and thats how far it has to come up to go over the hole.
let me know if you need a different angle

Brendan
30-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Druichii - I think the best thing would be to see if you can glue some wood under the screw hole - seems strange that they've missed by so much... If you have some offcuts from the headstock or a piece of dowel or something like that. Won't need too much to hold on to - there's not much pull on the control plate - just would be more secure than glueing the screw into the plate.

wokkaboy
30-05-2015, 10:48 AM
I'd but the control plate as close to the pickguard as possible and try drill the screw on an angle to get any bite, if there's not enough wood to bite into you will have to glue the screw in place. Looks like there are at least 8 other screw holes so the plate should be fixed fairly well.
Or as Brendan suggested glue an offcut into the corner of the cavity so there is something to screw into

xDruichii
30-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Yeah reckon I'll just go with the glue. Plenty other screws there. Thanks guys.