PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational luthier

DanMade
19-12-2013, 02:00 AM
Spare a thought for this guy next time you tell yourself you really need that new tool to make life easier.
http://youtu.be/51VDJt-Qm5Q

Scott J.
19-12-2013, 03:28 AM
Thanks Dan ... an absolutely inspirational video.

Amazing to see what the human spirit can achieve when it combines dedication, resourcefulness and determination.

Given the conditions in that part of the world, it makes me wonder if the recipients of his craft aren't even more proud of their instruments (and value them more highly) than many of us do with entire collections!

Gavin1393
19-12-2013, 03:44 AM
I can't believe I wasted my money on all those goodies from Stewmac when all I needed was a plane, pliers, a rasp and a hacksaw. Would suggest he doesn't put the plane blade down on the ground (final clips where he plays the guitar). He didnt seem to have too much available to get that blade nice and sharp again.
Also, no need for a fret hammer since that hacksaw blade was wide enough to only need glue to fit the frets! I wonder how he recrowned them since he seemed to be using the same rasp/file to shape the guitar as he did to level and finish the frets.
Did wonder how he finished fitting the tuners, assume he had a drill and a screw driver? Maybe he tightened it all up by hand or simply drilled a big enough hole and glued them in like he did with the frets?
Mind blowing!

pablopepper
19-12-2013, 04:01 AM
I really enjoyed watching that. Thanks for posting Dan.

johnnychronic
19-12-2013, 04:36 AM
Sometimes our egos get in the way of believing anything can be that simple. Better tools make better quality but, when do decide where the ceiling goes. Sorry... do I just put the soapbox back in the naughty corner. Very cool video, thanks

lawry
19-12-2013, 07:25 AM
That was absolutely astounding. I know so many musos to whom I am going to send the link.

dingobass
19-12-2013, 10:56 AM
wow.. just amazing..

Brendan
19-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Can't believe that they also do basses!... Gav - didn't look like fretwire to me - looked more like fencing wire...

adam
19-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for posting this Danmade, really enjoyable watch and certainly adds some perspective. His hand saw action at the start reminded me of when Bones let me use his coping saw on the headstock of one of our very first sample kits.

keloooe
19-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Wow, inspirational stuff! Dan, great find, I would definitely have a guitar built by him, would be 100% unique!

gavinturner
19-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Wow. Inspirational stuff. Thanks for sharing Dan. This guys is just incredible - working with nothing and yet overcoming this adversity to produce great instruments. I wonder if there is any kind of support channel?

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
20-12-2013, 07:55 AM
yes great video Dan, next time I get a power failure I won't complain having to use only hand non powered tools !
They didn't show how they routed or drilled, he must own some sort of hand drill. No online orders from Stewmac to Congo !