PDA

View Full Version : Hi from west auckland

Dano
17-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Hi PBG, I say west auckland as opposed to just auckland cos aucklanders are hated through most of the rest of NZ but if you say you're from west auckland you're just seen as westy bogan. ;)
Anyway I've been dabbling in the guitar for 20 odd years now, my heroes all mostly play Les Pauls and SGs so my first byo project is a flying V. The idea is that I can learn from this and go to build an amazing les paul and SG.

I've started my build diary for this guitar here http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=885.0#postid-14879

I'm looking forward to getting properly started on this and the timing is good because I'll be on holiday for 3 weeks starting next tuesday.

DanMade
17-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Welcome along Dano.

I just had a peek at your build diary, those FV kits really look the biz. I like where you going with the smaller pickgaurd concept. Should look sweet.

Best of luck with your build mate.

DanMade
17-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Double post.

wokkaboy
17-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Welcome Dano,
think you may be the first Kiwi (fush and chups ! haha) on the forum (I could be wrong)
Good choice to start on a FV-1G kit, they are an awesome looking axe and think your carmine/burning sun burst should look great. Agree with Danmade the less flame maple you cover up the better. I must say I'm a pretty big fan of the Gibson guitars, they look and sound like no other.
Best of luck with the build, don't rush it, ask lots of questions and keep posting updates on your build diary. There are heaps of experienced builders on the forum to answer any questions.

Dano
18-12-2013, 12:33 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from DanMade on December 17, 2013, 08:37
Welcome along Dano.

I just had a peek at your build diary, those FV kits really look the biz. I like where you going with the smaller pickgaurd concept. Should look sweet.

Best of luck with your build mate.

Cheers DanMade. Yeah it seems like a shame to cover up so much of the pretty top.

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on December 17, 2013, 08:59
Welcome Dano,
think you may be the first Kiwi (fush and chups ! haha) on the forum (I could be wrong)
Good choice to start on a FV-1G kit, they are an awesome looking axe and think your carmine/burning sun burst should look great. Agree with Danmade the less flame maple you cover up the better. I must say I'm a pretty big fan of the Gibson guitars, they look and sound like no other.
Best of luck with the build, don't rush it, ask lots of questions and keep posting updates on your build diary. There are heaps of experienced builders on the forum to answer any questions.

And cheers Wokka, your photos of your flying v helped confirm my decision on this kit, it looks awesome!! Me too on the subject of gibson guitars, I like the other types but gibson just come out on top! My main guitar happens to be an actual Gibson SG. I will have heaps of questions thanks. Patience shouldn't be an issue for me as I've already got a couple of nice playing gats, a bass and other instruments to keep me happy and inspired for this build.

stan
18-12-2013, 03:12 AM
welcome to the madness Dano!

Brendan
18-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Welcome along Dano... Keen to see how the "V" goes...

Brendan
18-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Oh - and before we get into a lamington, Crowded House, Russel Crowe arguement, PBG is an Aussie company... ;)

robin
18-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Welcome aboard Dano. I am sure you will enjoy your build, just take your time and ask heaps of questions if you get stuck.

I was a Gibson man myself. My only guitar for many years was a Les Paul, so after discovering PBG I thought about time to see what the competition was like. So now I have made 2 Strats and 2 Teles, and am loving them.

Cheers mate
rob

Dano
19-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Cheers everyone, seems like a nice little community here!
@ Brendan Don't forget about my favourite the Pavalova! And you can keep Russel Crowe for all we care, Marty and Jeff were the talented Crowes.

Scott J.
19-12-2013, 03:44 AM
Kia-ora Dano ... glad to see the "shaky isles" have joined the clan! :D

Keep us posted on your progress with plenty of pics (we all love 'em) and don't hesitate to post any questions, concerns or problems on the forum here - the collected guitar-wisdom of the ages resides within its digital walls!

Cheers,

Brendan
19-12-2013, 11:46 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Dano on December 18, 2013, 09:20
Cheers everyone, seems like a nice little community here!
@ Brendan Don't forget about my favourite the Pavalova! And you can keep Russel Crowe for all we care, Marty and Jeff were the talented Crowes.

@Dano - don't go there with the Pav - that's a Fremantle invention - like trying to claim Bonn Scott for NZ! :P

Dano
19-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks Scott, I surely will.

And @Brendan No I wouldn't dare go trying to claim Bonn, we'll leave that one to the Scottish ;)
How about Phil Rudd? Can we claim him? He lives here now.
One thing's for sure, Bonn and the boys will be blaring in the background often while I work on this kit.

wokkaboy
19-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Glad your an early AC/DC fan Dano, Phil Rudd was born in Melbourne so we'll claim him thanks !

What country is the beached whale from Cuz ? he's all yours bro ! haha