PDA

View Full Version : Guitar of the month photo`s

soulman
12-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I`ve been helping at my kid`s school in Ipswich QLD,going in early and showing kids how to paint and put a guitar together. We`ve used pressure pack paints (enamel) to limit costs and lack of spray booth. They got to create their own headstock shape and choose colour. We`ve used a swirl paint method on three of them. The kid`s are very happy with the results. So I thought I`d share them with you. Hope you like.

Thanks

Ross Wohling
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/6h5j4-IMG_0767.JPG

Bass Guy
12-12-2013, 09:45 PM
That is awesome stuff! Well done kids!

Gavin1393
12-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Outstanding and great to see kids involved with guitar building!

WeirdBits
12-12-2013, 10:36 PM
In my day we made coffee tables... those guitars look fantastic! Great job kids, and well done Ross for encouraging them.

wokkaboy
13-12-2013, 12:33 AM
well done Ross and well done kids those axes look very cool, would love to learn more about your swirl technique, they have done this well and its not easy !
Are you far from the Ipswich V8 supercar track Ross ? Always produces a great race meeting

Brendan
13-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Great job with the kids Ross - hard to pick a winner - love the design on the green and black strat, love the colour of the blue and black strat, black and white strat looks classy and who doesn't love the green and black tele?

robin
13-12-2013, 03:10 AM
Welcome to the Forums Ross, and what a great job you've done with the kids in helping them make 4 very nice guitars. Its hard to pick a winner out of them. Four budding Luthiers in the making there.

Pass on to the kids how impressed we all are.

Cheers
rob

johnnychronic
13-12-2013, 04:49 AM
KIDS DID THOSE!! You are an awesome teacher.

soulman
13-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Thanks for your comments. It`s great to be able to have an input into these kids. Who knows what it might lead to. Hopefully we will have another group next year. So Pitbull guitars will get a call with another order. These kits are a great starting point.
We are about 25min from racetrack, not that I get there to much as I had a bit to do with speedway. (Originally from Esperance WA.)
I`ve been building Ukuleles, an electric and am currently in the process of building three Accoustics
Ross

stan
13-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Great effort by you and the kids Ross, love the look of the blue strat!

Gavin1393
13-12-2013, 06:41 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from soulman on December 12, 2013, 15:10
Thanks for your comments. It`s great to be able to have an input into these kids. Who knows what it might lead to. Hopefully we will have another group next year. So Pitbull guitars will get a call with another order. These kits are a great starting point.
We are about 25min from racetrack, not that I get there to much as I had a bit to do with speedway. (Originally from Esperance WA.)
I`ve been building Ukuleles, an electric and am currently in the process of building three Accoustics
Ross

Ross, are the acoustics scratch builds or kits?

adam
13-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Hey Soulman, what the other's said, they look fantastic. That must've been fun to watch they're reaction when they saw how awesome they looks when put together. Get some video of the kids playing them and I think you might just win the Internet.

dingobass
13-12-2013, 10:12 AM
That is just so cool... Well done Soulman! and well done youngsters :)

lawry
13-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm a bit like Scott. Except all we made was a pencil box with a swivel lid. Would much rather have made a guitar. They look fantastic!

soulman
13-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks again for your comments.
Yes Gavin, all my builds are from scratch.
Thanks Adam. Unfortunately all Kids are on holidays. They were presented the guitars at final assembly. All proud as punch. Parents liked them as well.

Gavin1393
13-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Awesome Ross, electrics are fun to build but nothing beats the feeling of putting together an acoustic from scratch!, that first time you string them up and start to tune up, its like giving birth to a child....excitement wise!

Tim
14-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Great Job Ross .. You and the kids should be proud of the axes

jarrod
14-12-2013, 12:11 PM
wow yes they look cool and what a project for the kids man.

soulman
16-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks again for the positive feedback.
Yes Gavin it is the most exciting part when you first hear the voice of something you have created.
I forgot to cover what I do for swirling. So this is what I do. Looked at Youtube :):)
Oh Ok. we used a wheely bin, put a liner in and filled it with warm water (About 28 deg c) used approx 750g of Borax. I used whiteknight spray cans from Bunnings. First spray body in the most prominent colour.i.e the black guitar was first painted black, then we used black and white for the swirl.(make sure all the body is sealed so water can`t soak into wood.) Sprayed paint into cap and dribble paint into water. We did two colours. added paint alternating colours in the water. when you think you have enough paint to cover guitar, get a stick and lightly swirl stick through colours. Then get guitar and slowly plunge into water moving it side to side until fully submerged. You then need to clear surface tension with a stick or by blowing until all paint is clear of body. Quickly remove, give a shake and allow to dry. Then many coats of clear coat. I did learn a lot off youtube. experiment a lot in small containers.
Have a great Christmas.
Ross