PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Acquisition Syndrome Support Group

Gavin1393
07-12-2013, 03:57 AM
IF you have GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) and need help. Let us know here.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/bnl1v-guitar-clutter.jpg

Gavin1393
07-12-2013, 04:01 AM
What is G.A.S.?

The uncontrollable need to purchase "just one more" guitar to satisfy an inner desire that knows no boundries! A growing epidemic, this compulsive disorder can be triggered by the mere sight of a guitar and typically results in a financial transaction.

GAS is an affliction that affects scores of musicians worldwide with no regard to race, creed or colour . Severe GAS sufferers have been known to even hide their disease from their spouse or significant other. Imagine that!

There is no known cure however effective palliative treatments to minimize the symptoms can be found in every music store, internet retailer, industry publication or guitar show!

GAS unfortunately, does not just involve guitars as what would an electric guitar be without an amp? And what about that effect pedal? New or old, it doesn't matter! The Big 3 (Martin/Gibson/Fender), custom builder, obscure manufacturer or import. And of course your own creation!

Of course practically everything with strings that you pluck, pick or strum can be associated with the disease. A mandolin player may suffer from MAS (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome) or the affliction may cause BAS (Bass or Banjo Acquisition Syndrome). Of course there are guitar specific forms such as RAS (Resophonic Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) or even the catch all OAS (Odd Stringed Instrument Acquisition Syndrome).

GAS is an extremely debilitating disease that can require years of intense therapy to achieve even brief periods of remission. It has the ability to mutate into other musical instrument syndromes making for a complete cure highly improbable. Only through incredible discipline, including but not limited to, the avoidance of any musical instrument related publication, website, store or other temptation that could lead to an acquisition and ultimately a complete relapse.

stan
07-12-2013, 04:50 AM
I seem to have GPAS - guitar parts acquisition syndrome

wokkaboy
07-12-2013, 06:00 AM
yes it seems everyone on the forum has some form or another of the large varieties of GAS. If Adam never started the Pit Bull Guitar company then we all probably wouldn't be building axes and having a blast !

maxaxe
07-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Jumping Jack Flash - it's a .................. 8O

Clever spiel, awesome photo . . .

keloooe
08-12-2013, 02:23 AM
I admit I do have GAS... Maybe even BAS...

Tim
08-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Hi my name is Tim and I have BAS :D

DrNomis_44
12-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Hello Tim, my name is Simon and I'm a GAS sufferer too, I currently have 5 electric guitars and two Basses, I suspect that I'm also developing AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome) too, since I have 5 amps as well.

metalhead
13-01-2015, 04:57 AM
Hmm... Between my wife and I, (mostly me to be honest) we have 7 electrics, 2 acoustics and a bass, and I have 2 more electrics partially built. Yet I still find myself looking for more! Best not forget the 3 guitar amps, drum kit, pa and recording gear, piano, 1950s Selmer clarinet... Someone help me, how do I stop??

Our music room:

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s475/metalhead140/temporary_zpsf1dbd9dc.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/metalhead140/media/temporary_zpsf1dbd9dc.jpg.html)

DrNomis_44
13-01-2015, 06:16 AM
I forgot to mention that I also have PAD (Pedal Acquisition Syndrome) too, most of them I made, a few of them are manufactured ones, so you see, I've got it bad.

You might say I might also have AAS (Acquisition Acquisition Syndrome), if such a thing exists....lol

pablopepper
13-01-2015, 06:21 AM
I was at a new years eve party a few weeks ago and somebody asked me how many guitars I own. I had the sit down for 5 minutes and seriously count them out in my head lol.

10 as it turns out. 4 electrics, 4 basses and 2 acoustics. I didn't count the ukelele, the 2 cgbs and the 2 builds underway. One day I might have them all in one place.

DrNomis_44
13-01-2015, 06:31 AM
Here's a pic of my most recent guitar acquisition, it's a Gibson USA Les Paul Studio with a Vintage Sunburst finish and coil-tapping on both pickup volumes, you pull the knobs up to coil-tap each pickup, reconfiguring them as single-coils:1334

bargeloobs
13-01-2015, 06:48 AM
One day I might have them all in one place.

Yeah true that, I've still got an Epi LP Standard, Epi Flying V, Yamaha Bass and a Samick Dreadnought sitting at me Mums in New Zealand. I'll grab em' one day:P

wokkaboy
13-01-2015, 07:37 AM
haha looks like there's not too many forumites that don't have GAS. Most builders will have at least 2 or 3 axes. I'm at the severe end of the GAS scale and don't even know how many axes I got. Off the top of my head got 1 acoustic bass, 4 electric basses, 1 acoustic guitar, about 12 CBG's, 2 lap steel guitars, and a rough guess close to 40 electric guitars. Plus about 7 builds on the go. There must be a new name for this level of GAS !

Fretworn
13-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Due to space limitations and a rather foolish agreement I made with my wife, I have had my GAS capped. If I want a new guitar I have to sell one. So I find myself looking for loopholes (eg: a mandolin wouldn't be a guitar and I'm considering updating my lapsteel after finishing the bass and the other kit that is coming later in the year...)

metalhead
13-01-2015, 09:24 AM
...and a rough guess close to 40 electric guitars. Plus about 7 builds on the go...

Excellent, nice work, you win!! Do you mind if next time I'm asked why I need so many/more guitars I refer the asker to you? :)

pablopepper
13-01-2015, 09:28 AM
This can be explained mathematically.

X=y+1

X is the perfect number of guitars and y is the number of guitars you currently own.

http://g4sky.ru/images/shop_items/2652-1.jpg

wokkaboy
13-01-2015, 09:51 AM
no worries Metalhead, I'll be happy to explain to your other half why you need more guitars !
Yeah Pablo thats the equation alright, mine is more like X = y + 5 !

dingobass
13-01-2015, 01:52 PM
And then there is BAS, which i have a chronic case of.....
Last count there were 12... Or was it 15? :)

wokkaboy
13-01-2015, 01:54 PM
that's not a chronic case DB, you give too many of your axes away, if you kept all the ones you built that would be chronic !
7 posts off 2K mate !

DrNomis_44
13-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Due to space limitations and a rather foolish agreement I made with my wife, I have had my GAS capped. If I want a new guitar I have to sell one. So I find myself looking for loopholes (eg: a mandolin wouldn't be a guitar and I'm considering updating my lapsteel after finishing the bass and the other kit that is coming later in the year...)

I have a ladyfriend who lives in England (I met her online some years ago), well she suffers from what I would call TAS (Teddybear Acquisition Syndrome), she's mad on teddybears, I think it's part of natural human behaviour to want to collect things, we probably inherited that trait from our hunter-gatherer ancestors who lived in stoneage times.

vh2580
14-01-2015, 04:50 AM
9 electrics ,1bass, 2 acoustic.
My GAS is usually under control until similarily to the fire triangle, there is an alignment with alchohol, payday and ebay.

dingobass
14-01-2015, 05:08 PM
I also suffer from a chronic case of AAS.....
Avian aquisition syndrome...
After todays shopping expedition i now own 31 birds......

dingobass
14-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Oops, sorry... 32 .....

wokkaboy
14-01-2015, 05:15 PM
wow DB had no idea the bird collection was that big !

dingobass
14-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Yhep.... It just keeps growing....

moody
23-02-2015, 09:31 AM
I seem to have GPAS - guitar parts acquisition syndrome

I have APAS myself. Got totally engrossed in making valve amps, bought bunches of parts on special when Dick Smith changed direction and then promptly had two kids and haven't touched any of it for over 3 years.

I reckon I've got enough parts (particularly transformers, valves and chassis) to make maybe 6 or 7 little amps in the under 20watt range, another 2 or 3 in the 60 watt range and an 85 watt black face twin.

This from a bass player who is completely unlikely to ever need a 15 watt guitar amp.

Rob L
23-02-2015, 09:58 AM
I have 2 guitars now. I want 3 more. Those 5 will cover every style I write in. Of course I have no idea where I'll put 3 more guitars. :D

DrNomis_44
23-02-2015, 08:19 PM
I was in my local Cash Converters shop last Saturday and saw a couple of Ibanez Electric Guitars, both with Floyd Rose style trems on them, one was going for about $400.00 or so, the other was going for about $600.00, been thinking of putting the cheaper one on layby next fortnight, I totally see how Guitar Acquisition Syndrome can become so insidious, there was also a set of two M Audio Bi-Amped Studio Monitor speakers going for just over $200.00 or so which I might actually buy for my Studio, since I'm making do with a PC sound system with a Subwoofer at the moment.

Yep, I also suffer from Gear Acquisition Syndrome too.

Devon
26-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Haha I too suffer from this syndrome. For the life of me I don't know why since I don't have leetz playing skills.

These are my girls thus far.
Will be building the rest.

dingobass
27-06-2015, 09:43 AM
I also suffer from a chronic case of AAS.....
Avian aquisition syndrome...
After todays shopping expedition i now own 31 birds......

Update...
The Avian collection is now up to 42......

wokkaboy
27-06-2015, 09:48 AM
haha nice one DB, you almost have as many birds as I have guitars.
Nice collection Devon.
Apparently my collection can be seen from the moon haha

Tindrrel
27-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Haha I too suffer from this syndrome. For the life of me I don't know why since I don't have leetz playing skills.

*twitch* One of these is not like the others.

keloooe
27-06-2015, 01:23 PM
For me, if you include the Frankenpester and my bass, I currently have 8 instruments..... Needs more I think!

Rabbitz
27-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Colin.

I suffer from a related GAS disease - Gun Acquisition Syndrome.

It has been 5 years since my last purchase.

Each time I walk past a music shop, I get that same old burning feeling in the wallet that I do when I walk past a gun shop.

I am here tonight to beg for your help, please.

stan
27-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Nice Devon, if that is an Epi LP Standard, I have exactly the same one! In lefty of course

andrewdosborne
27-06-2015, 06:01 PM
For me, if you include the Frankenpester and my bass, I currently have 8 instruments..... Needs more I think!

That's good going for a youngster, you'll have hundreds by the time you get to my age!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devon
30-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Anyone else developing symptoms of (Guitar Pick) GPAS / (Plectrum) PAS

I got peeved off that I kept losing my picks. They're like socks going into laundry. That I went spaz on ebay.

Then I thought of the planet and that I should do my part with recycling.
Credit card picks and medicare card picks will do nicely for the new collection

bargeloobs
01-07-2015, 05:10 AM
I've got a big bag of them sitting on my desk for every time one slips through the wormhole, it's currently half full.

dingobass
01-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Aaah, the dreaded black hole.....
I have one, possibly two in my workshop.
Put down a tool and BAM! Its gone.

Fretworn
02-07-2015, 11:16 AM
I hardly ever lose picks. I can make them last for years & years. But I always leave them jammed under the pickguard when I'm not using them.

wokkaboy
02-07-2015, 11:20 AM
you are rare Fretty, every axe player I know loses them by the dozen

think if I moved my amp from the wall there would be heaps on the floor

andrewdosborne
02-07-2015, 02:21 PM
If future generations master travel through time & space to other universes they will find themselves in dimensions full of guitar picks, socks, tools and screws...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
02-07-2015, 02:41 PM
good point Andrew
I always joke with Popeye that if we cleaned up under the workbench there would be enough material to build a whole guitar !

Rabbitz
02-07-2015, 04:05 PM
If future generations master travel through time & space to other universes they will find themselves in dimensions full of guitar picks, socks, tools and screws...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

And Biro's.

bargeloobs
02-07-2015, 04:17 PM
And Biro's.

And these discs...

stan
02-07-2015, 05:59 PM
and keys ....