PDA

View Full Version : Hello. I have some questions.?

String Breaker
29-11-2013, 07:39 AM
hi there, i am completely new to guitar building/constructing and have a few questions to ask before i get started. I bought the RC 1 kit and all my questions are concerning it. so here goes :

1. is there a specific type of soldering iron and solder material needed ?
2. other than wudtone, is there specific types of paints needed for wood ?
3. how do you apply the paints/resins e.c.t. once you are ready to and how would i apply drawings ir patterns ?

these are the only questions i have for now and it would be really awesome if they could get answered soon because i am really eager to get started on my guitar.
Also if a video for the RC 1 could be made i would really appreciate it :)

stan
29-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Welcome SB.
Really most jobs don't require too large a soldering iron. A medium sized one would be fine. Resin cored solder is the go and one of those third hand jiggers, a set of clips mounted on a heavy base to hold work being soldered, is very useful.

Wudtone is used a lot here because it is super easy to use and give a great result, preserving the natural sustain and tones from within the timber. However others have had very nice results with truoil, nitro cellulose finishes and straight out acrylic spray paint.

Wudtone is simply rubbed on and other finishes are rubbed, wiped or sprayed on depending on the manufacturers recommendations.

Plenty of experts here, read some of the build threads to see what they did .

I'll leave it someone else to be more specific especially with adding graphics.

All the best

String Breaker
29-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Thank a great deal stan i shall get onto is asap

Brendan
09-12-2013, 04:16 AM
SB - come in on this late, but as for a video, watch the general videos, you'll also need the set neck video, but ignore anything about PVA glue - use the PBG stuff or Titebond. As for wiring, there's a diagram here:
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/PBG-2Hum4Pot%20v2.pdf
I'm just about to work through mine so if you have any problems, chuck them up on the forum.

lawry
09-12-2013, 05:41 AM
Hi SB, welcome to the PB community. Asking questions from the start is great and there are many people here who can answer all your questions. As for me, I'm cool with electronics but I'll leave the woodworking stuff to those much more knowledgeable.
So, as for your soldering iron... If you want to buy a basic soldering iron, get one around 40 Watts. This will give you enough heat to solder to the back of the pots yet still be 'cool' enough so that you don't overheat the wires and melt the insulation or vapourise the solder. If you're not used to soldering it is worth checking out some youtube videos because if you don't apply enough heat, or allow the solder to flow, you will end up with a dry joint. This is where the conductors you are trying to join together don't actually bond well. Generally a dry joint has a frosty look to it instead of nice and shiny, and it doesn't conduct electricity well. For your solder, get 1mm resin core 60% tin/40% lead. You can get lead free solder but it is a bit more tricky to use and doesn't like attaching well to lead solder. If you're an Aussie, then you can get these at Jaycar.
Anyway. Have fun and please start a build diary. We all love to see how things progress.
Cheers.

gavinturner
09-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi SB,

Welcome to the PBG community! You tube is a great introduction to general concepts on finishing and assembling your guitar, from sanding, applying Wudtone, applying Tru-Oil, spray painting, gluing a set neck, spraying lacquer and so on. Any specific questions you have as you go, just post them in your build diary and the experts here will flood you with a mountain of advice to keep you on the straight and narrow. The most important thing is to have fun. It isn't rocket scince, and many of us have never had any kind of woodworking experince before starting our first kit.

I look forward to reading all about your kit as it progresses in your build diary!

cheers,
Gav

String Breaker
17-03-2014, 06:01 AM
I have been in the process of building for a while and the other day i went to start a build diary but i cant work out how to ? i am really confused and cant seem to work out how to do that and start a new topic in anything

dingobass
17-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Hey SB, scroll down to the my build section and click on the main header in the left hand box, you should see a start new topic tab on the top right.

Brendan
17-03-2014, 10:27 AM
SB - an update on solder - you can get it in a range of thicknesses - go for something not too thick - I think it's about 0.8mm (from Altronics)? First stuff I got was > 1mm from the great green store and I was always trying to work out how to get nice, neat solders... Now I know - if it's too thick, it takes too long to melt, during which, you're running the risk of burning out components and then - like tomato sauce - when pouring from the bottle - first none will come and then the lot'll - splat.

String Breaker
18-03-2014, 06:45 AM
okay , Thanks brendan i shall keep that in mind. as for the start new topic tab , it isn't there which is totally bizzarre.it's kinda weird

dingobass
18-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Hey SB, the page should look like this..
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/f18ee-Screenshot-from-2014-03-17-190658.png

quiet1_au
21-03-2014, 05:49 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from String Breaker on March 16, 2014, 15:01
I have been in the process of building for a while and the other day i went to start a build diary but i cant work out how to ? i am really confused and cant seem to work out how to do that and start a new topic in anything

I found the forum controls a bit confusing too, until you realise that "New Topic Subscribe" and "Reply Subscribe RSS Feed" are multiple "buttons" not just one! (ie "New Topic" & "Subscribe" and "Reply", "Subscribe" & "RSS Feed") :D

Open the "My Build Diary" thread and then click "New Topic" - give it a Subject and you're on your way. To add extra photos to the thread after your initial post use the "Reply" button, for just text the Quick Reply entry is enough. I think "Subscribe" will post you notifications of replies to your topic via email, "RSS Feed" to get the same in a different way - I haven't bothered using them as I drop by the forum and check what's been happening fairly regularly.

Hope this helps! :)

String Breaker
22-03-2014, 10:59 PM
thanks heaps you guys , i think i have had an extensive blonde moment !

dingobass
23-03-2014, 12:27 AM
Happens to us all, SB :)