PDA

View Full Version : ES 1G takes shape slowly

Humphrey
23-11-2013, 05:33 AM
This is my 4th Pitbull guitar build.

The body is well sanded and sanded and sanded to get rid of tiny scratches.
Columbian Gold back and sides and Burning Sun front. Not finished yet but getting there.

NOW

How to get the overflow off the lovely binding . How do you do that I hear you cry.

A ) Apply Wudtone carefully in the first place
B ) 0000 Steel wool to remove excess.

A right pain in the lower G but it all works with time.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/5xgh5-Pibull-335-style-Nov-2013.jpg

lawry
23-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Looking really smooth Humphrey. The two tones go together in a very classy way.

wokkaboy
23-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Hi Humphrey, the colours you chose really suit this body, well done. You have thrown yourself in the deep end with an ES build with double binding and the wiring involved but sure you are well capable of building this beast.
You could tape off the binding but too time consuming with binding back and front.
I'd suggest between coats fine 0000 steel wool the binding being very careful not to rub any wudtone off any wood. Also be careful not to sand the flame maple cap is quite thin.
Think the headstocks are pre-shaped on this model ?

good luck and ask any questions. After wiring this baby you will need councilling like all the other ES forum builders ! haha

gavinturner
23-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Looking awesome Humphrey! The flame is really popping.

Cheers,
Gavin.

Andyport
23-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Looking really good Humphrey...love the two tones you have chosen.

It's really funny, but I had no probs at all getting the wiring and pots into place on my ES.
I had completed the wiring and was ready to install when I remembered I hadn't purchased the plastic tubing to use the method mentioned here on the forum. I live out of Port Lincoln on a small property, so didn't want to travel back into town. Hunted around in my tool box and found one of those telescopic magnets. Hooked a length of fine wire around the output jack and pulled that into place, then using fingers and the telescopic magnet, got the pots into place. By all accounts, must have been my lucky day, because all up it took me about 20 mins.
Hopefully you can fluke it like me!

Cheers
Andy

AJ
23-11-2013, 06:22 AM
looking great there!

stan
23-11-2013, 10:50 AM
great colour combo, this looks really nice

Humphrey
23-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all your comments.
I have now moved to base coats on the top and agree that too much sanding will actually go through the flame cap. Luckily mine is ok. I did find a lot of "razor thin " scratches on the sides especially near and on the horns. Have to remove these as they show up badly when Wudtone applied ( more fine sanding with 280 and steel wool. All good now however.
Wiring will be a challenge for me but the forum is so good for this sort of help.
More later.

robin
23-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Looking good Humphrey. That subtle change of colour between sides and top looks great.

rob