PDA

View Full Version : Clearcoat on neck and body

jarrod
18-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Hey guy's can anyone advise me on 2pk clear coat on guitars. 1 is it ok to do and two is ok on the neck. I'm quite accomplished with poly urethane 2pk paint and for me is the best method of painting.

Gavin1393
18-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi Jarrod,
I'm not sure that you will find anyone on our forum who has used 2pk on a guitar neck. Automotive paint generally tends to slow the movement of the hands along the neck. While most automotive paint will work on guitar bodies, I'd rather be caught using Tru-oil on my guitar by DB than automotive paints.

What other methods of painting have you tried?

jarrod
18-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey Gavin thanks for your reply. This my first build and though I have repainted the body of my Ibanez with water based base coats and polyurethane 2pk over the top and had great success . as deep a shine as any high end guitar.
I was a little unsure about the Neck on my new build, since writing this I have purchased the Wudtone neck clear coat so I guess that's the correct way to do it.

Gavin1393
18-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Yes, I think so. Ypu will get a great result on the neck with Wudtone.

pablopepper
18-11-2013, 09:36 PM
I've used 2pk poly clear before but as Gav has said, the glossiness on the neck makes it sticky when combined with a little sweat from your hands. It works well if it is applied as thin as possible and the back of the neck can be gone over with very fine sandpaper or steel wool.

jarrod
19-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks guy's I appreciate you sharing your knowledge