PDA

View Full Version : Gavs ESB-4 Hollowbody Bass

gavinturner
18-11-2013, 12:56 AM
hi guys,

Finally my ES335 Hollowbody Bass kit has arrived and it's a beauty. When I first queried Adam about the possibility to produce this as a kit, I didn't hold out much hope of it coming together. Nowhere else on the internet, either here in Oz or overseas can such a kit be found. But Adam came through thanks to the support of the bass building enthusiasts here in the Pitbull community. I owe a debt of thanks to everyone who helped make this a reality by supporting the kit with a pre-order. It's always a bit of a gamble with new kits - it usually takes a couple of rounds to iron out the small teething problems - so I'm really, really thankful that the guys in this remarkable community stepped up and enthusiastically supported it.

Anyway, enough gushing - on to the kit! The body is really beautiful, with a pronounced flame maple figure that will look great with the planned cherry dye with black highlights.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/55k30-fitted-back.JPG

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/33878-fitted-above.JPG

I have similar issues with the tuners on the headstock not fitting that Bassguy and Tim have previously reported, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it at this stage. My current thinking is that I'll have to fill the holes with dowel and re-drill for smaller tuners. Hmm, depends how brave I am feeling.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/6j3hj-tuners.JPG

I'm really itching to get started on this one. Checking the neck fit will be the next job while I mull over the required fixes to the headstock.

cheers,
Gav.

Tim
18-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Its a shame the head gear doesnt fit ,
I am looking at doweling the holes and redrilling with smaller tuners to.
Looking forward to seeing how yours comes together.

Gavin1393
18-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Is it not possible to obtain a bushing to fit inside the larger hole?

Andyport
18-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Your right again Gav. I had to use conversion bushings on my LP, so I could fit the older style klusson tuners.
If my memory serves me correctly, the klusson had a 6mm peg and these kits have a 10mm hole.
They worked a treat.

gavinturner
18-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks Gavmeister! - you are a life saver. I didnt even know these existed. Awesome!

cheers,
Gav.

Bass Guy
18-11-2013, 09:49 AM
I doubt the bushing idea will solve my problem. The holes are so close that my tuners are touching each other. If I dowel to spread them apart I would have to trim the housing of the tuners. Not ideal.

Small tuners for me is the answer, but no loss- I have another bass in need of new 2+2 tuners....

gavinturner
18-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah mine are the same Bassguy. If i dowel and re-drill it will be for smaller tuners.

cheers,
Gavin.

gavinturner
03-03-2014, 01:29 AM
Ok guys I need some serious help here.

Closer inspection of the neck heel fit shows some serious issues with the woodworking in the neck pocket. The interior bottom surface of the pocket is very uneven and to my amateur eye does not seem to be finished deeply enough. Here's what i mean.

There are several "steps" in the pocket base surface, where the surface has not been completely levelled. It may not be completely visible in the photo:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/94ufo-neck_pocket_closeup.jpg

These steps lead to a big gap where the neck meets the edge of the body as the neck heel is not seated squarely on the base of the pocket:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/xrfh1-neck_pocket_fit_1.jpg

It also shows a gap in the neck profile where the end of the fretboard meets the front of the bass. Looks to me like the pocket isn't quite deep enough. Maybe the factory didn't get around to finishing the pocket??

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1c577-neck_height_profile.jpg

The real question is how can I rectify this? I'm a bit out of my depth here, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks guys!

cheers,
Gav.

WeirdBits
03-03-2014, 02:51 AM
Looks like a question for DB or Gav. My suggestion would be to first check what your neck angle is like with the neck 'seated' as best as you can and the bridge sitting in place, with regard to action etc. That should give you an idea of what options you have and help to guide you on how to proceed.

quiet1_au
03-03-2014, 05:16 AM
Envious! That's the kit I would have loved to build, but knew my limited skills I should start with something simpler... Seeing your issues makes me think I definitely made the right the right choice, but I certainly hope you can sort out them out and make it into something brilliant. I'll be watching your progress with great interest! :-)

Brendan
03-03-2014, 06:11 AM
John / Gav - these kits do seem to have some variation in them - tried getting all my tuners in and they seem to be a snug, but comfy fit. I'll check the neck seating on mine and see how it looks.

Gavin1393
03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi Gav,

If you have a router and a neck pocket jig/template this would work best. If not, i think that you might need to file the pocket down that 1mm or therabouts to get it as level as you can.

gavinturner
03-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks Gav, unfortunately no router or templates, but I do have a bastard file that might serve. Will probably be ok if i take small steps and test often. Will also take Scott's advice about an initial action test with the current height.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
19-03-2014, 03:24 AM
hi guys,

Filed out the neck pocket today with my bastard file. Just flattened it out a bit little by little. The height at the end of the fretboard has come down a bit and the neck is sitting much better in the pocket. There is a little gap at the heel, but not enough for me to worry about. I may fill it with Timbermate once the neck is on, or I may go back for a little more filing. Not sure.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/zzx26-neck_alignment.jpg

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/amjn6-neck_alignment_2.jpg

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/hi4tn-neck_fit_after.jpg

Anyway, I'm much relieved. The neck alignment was good straight out of the box and even with the neck lowered into the pocket the strings are still flat on the deck at zero bridge height. Now I can stop worrying about the fit!

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
19-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Looking pretty snug in there Gav and should be OK with a bit of spakfilla ;-)
This'll be a nice brother to the florentine I reckon.

gavinturner
25-03-2014, 10:21 PM
hi guys,

This morning I took the plunge and attempted my second ever burst using ColorTone dye - a so called "poor man's burst". I prepared the body with a light sand down of 360, 400 and 600 grits. At 600 grit I did a single pass of grain raising using Metholated Spirits, but the maple hardly needed it.

This time around I didn't perform a 'trace-dye' on the wood to check for glue spots. I was instead prepared to stop dying if any glue surfaced and perform a sand back to remove it. Amazingly, this kit exhibited no glue spots at all around the binding or veneer join. The quality of this kit is awesome!

I performed the burst using ColorTone Vintage Amber as a base, and then applying ColorTone Red Mahogany around the edges. I was Also going to darken the edges even more with a few drops of Tobacco Brown, but I like it now and don't want to muck with it.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/kbwn2-burst_small.JPG

Gotta say I'm pretty damn pleased with it. The edges are nice and dark with the red mahogany bleeding into the flame maple as it reaches for the centre of the guitar. The centre has retained it's bright Amber hue and has not been muddied with brown. All in all a pretty awesome result - I'm right chuffed with myself. Now on to the back and sides!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
25-03-2014, 10:32 PM
As a postscript to my previous post.. I just took the masking off the binding and it's as clean as. The magic 471 pin-striping tape from 3M does it again!!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/3ai0r-burst_small_binding.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
26-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Noice, very noice!
Looks like you lucked out with the neck fit/ angle.... I had to shim mine at the butt end of the heel to get the neck sitting at the correct angle, and to get a nice flat action...

Fretworn
26-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Very pretty! Another Gav masterpiece.

wokkaboy
26-03-2014, 01:11 AM
looks excellent Gav, for a 2nd burst you must be stoked ! Look forward to seeing this beast progress. Remember to psyche yourself up for the wiring !

stan
26-03-2014, 01:18 AM
great stuff Gav, 471 tape it is...

gavinturner
26-03-2014, 01:57 AM
@DB, @Fretty, @Wokka, @Stan - thanks guys. it's coming along! @Wokka - yeah I'm not thinking about the wiring. Best to block it out until absolutely necessary.. ;).

Here is the back burst done. I'm pretty happy with it as well, although the lack of flame makes it harder to do IMO.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/7u974-burst_small_back.JPG

You can see a little glue spot over the join on the heel of the guitar. No glue spots on the back but one or two on the side. Looks like I'll have to sand the sides back a little and re-apply.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
26-03-2014, 02:21 AM
looks excellent Gav, nice work, is that 471 3M tape the same width as the binding ? I need to get some if it is.
Bummer about the glue but could be worse, could be on the cap !
what colour will the neck and headstock be ?
Will you be clearing with TO ? I'll keep you company in the naughty room, think DB says I got a 'life' stay there !

gavinturner
26-03-2014, 02:56 AM
@Wokka - the 471 tape is just bigger than the height of the binding - about 1mm too high. What I have taken to doing is using an exacto knife and running along the top of the binding so that the excess is trimmed off. In the case of this build, the 3-ply binding on the top was also masked off with the 471 - adding a bit more overhang. Two strips, top and side, combine nicely to protect the whole lot.

I will get the Tru-Oil going to bring up the chatoyence of the flamed maple on the top and to get the dye bedded into the sides and back. Probably about 5 coats worth. Then I plan on hitting it with Acrylic lacquer if i can get my clear coat spraying regime worked out.

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
27-03-2014, 03:58 AM
Hey Gav. The burst is looking really hot. You've done a fantastic job of blending one colour into the other. Smooth. And welcome to the deep side 8-)

gavinturner
27-03-2014, 04:33 AM
@Lawry - thanks dude - I am pretty pleased with myself ;). This bursting stuff is bloody hard though...! Hoping I'll be able to tumble out a few basslines when this baby is finished. What's the bass equivalent of 3 blind mice? Is it... 3 blind mice???

cheers,
Gav.

crundes
27-03-2014, 04:47 AM
That is a real thing of beauty Gav! Amazing job, two more strings on it and there would be my dream guitar! ;-)

gavinturner
27-03-2014, 04:55 AM
Thanks Tim! - Yeah it would be great to have a matching 335 6-string. hmmmmmm... :)

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
08-04-2014, 01:18 AM
hi guys,

Was putting my 5th coat of tru-oil on this morning and I noticed something disturbing. Seems the plywood on the sides of the guitar is bubbling. Looks like the veneer is lifting off the wood underneath.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/qpg9d-bubbles.JPG

Not sure what I have done to cause this, but I'm pretty certain that there is nothing I can do about it at this stage. However, I thought I'd see what you guys thought / suggested about this little issue.

What do you reckon?

thanks,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-04-2014, 01:52 AM
Hey Gav, not sure what to suggest, never seen this happen, looks like the only thing to do is to sand back the affected area as sad as that sounds. Why not try lightly sanding till the bubbles have been removed from the clear ?

Fretworn
08-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Damn Gav, what a shame.

If you really think the bubbles are the top veneer of the ply lifting, then I'm not sure you should try sanding them back, as I assume you will end up sanding through the top veneer and who knows what you will find underneath. I tried to sand lifting veneer on a table once. Totally ruined the table. If they are really that noticable then you may need to sand back the whole sides and put some sort of solid colour on the sides so the patches can't be seen.

Or are they small enough so you can live with them?

gavinturner
08-04-2014, 02:51 AM
@Wokka, @Fretty - thanks for the replies guys. Yeah it's definitely under the veneer not the clear. I can feel the bubble(s) sink and spring back when i put a small amount of pressure on them.

I really don't want to ruin my finish at this stage, so sanding back is a last resort (that i probably won't attempt anyway). You can't really see them if you don't know they are there, but unfortunately i will know from now on ;). I'll have to live with them if there's no easy solution I think.

I wondered whether putting a pin/needle/nail in the top of them might release some of the air pressure in there and allow the wood to sink again? Unfortunately as I've no understanding what has caused this I'm not sure if this would help. There's definitely air in there though since I can gently compress each bubble with my finger..

I'll keep pondering it. Maybe someone out there has experienced a similar thing before..

cheers,
Gav.

Gavin1393
08-04-2014, 03:11 AM
My thought is that the glue holding the veneer in place was missing under this section, so that when you applied the paint it seeped through the veneer and then since there was no glue to hold the shape it has warped creating the 'bubble' effect.

I's suggest getting a syringe with a needle, add some super glue and inject the super glue into this area. Then using a flexible metal sheet, press the sheet hard up against the body of the guitar until the glue is dry.

wokkaboy
08-04-2014, 03:18 AM
hey Gav, sounds like its worth trying to put a pin hole on the bubble to release the air - you won't see a pin hole in the finish. Sounds like sanding back isn't an option.
I'd email a pic to DB and ask his advice, I've never seen this happen and have no idea whats caused it. Have you had any humid or hot weather ? Sure you have followed the usual T.O. procedure.
Its a real bummer to get this far into a build and have the issues you are having, hope you can sort it bro !

adam
08-04-2014, 03:25 AM
Hey Gav, I jjust did a Google search on "repairing bubbled veneer" and there's loads of links and even a YouTube video. I'm at work so can't do much more, but if you don't get answers on Google, it may be worth an email to dingobass@pitbullguitars.com.

gavinturner
08-04-2014, 03:32 AM
@Gav, @Wokka - thanks guys. I'll have a think about it. The superglue approach sounds like an option. @Adam - thanks for reminding me of google ;). I'll have a look and see if I can find that video.

cheers guys!

Gav.

gavinturner
08-04-2014, 03:37 AM
yep, here's the video @Adam referred to. @Gav - of course - was right on the money with syringe & glue. The only additional detail added by the video is to drill two holes, one for the syringe and one to allow the air to escape. You guys rock. Now all i gotta do is find the equipment ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWrIWNjK_U

cheers,
Gav.

pablopepper
08-04-2014, 06:34 AM
That seems really straight forward. Gotta love YouTube tutorials.

lawry
08-04-2014, 08:19 AM
I hope it is this straightforward for you Gav. Man, it would've broken my heart.

gavinturner
08-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the sympathy @Lawry. It's a bit of a shit I don't mind telling ya. If I don't fix the bubbles then it's going to be impossible to cut and polish the clear coats. :(

Fixing the bubbles looks easy in the video on a flat piece. Unfortunately mine is right in the curve of one of the cutaways. Will be almost impossible to clamp. I might find something heavy to rest on it like Gav suggests, but I'm not sure what I've got. I'll try a few permutations and see if I can find a way to apply enough pressure to hold the bubbles down while gluing.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
09-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Hey Gav, some sort of sandbag or similar should put pressure on the repair, and will conform to the guitar shape. All the best

wokkaboy
09-04-2014, 01:15 AM
sounds like a mission Gav but I think you can work out a round object about the same size as the cutaway to be held in place to keep pressure on the veneer after you superglue it. Superglue dries pretty quickly so you may be able to hold a glass jar or a round object and put pressure on the veneer for 5-10 mins. All that sanding you have done you should have forearms like Popeye !

lawry
09-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Popeye huh? Wasn't his girlfriend Olive Oyle, not Tru Oil.

wokkaboy
09-04-2014, 09:15 AM
haha you are on a roll tonight Loz, nice one !

gavinturner
30-04-2014, 05:53 AM
hi guys,

Finally got around to putting some Colortone dye onto the neck of the bass today. I took a leaf out of BG's book and attempted a little burst on there. It turned out *ok*. I'm planning to use some Wudtone neck top-coat over the Colortone. Should be ok right? Well we will soon see...

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/fdxz4-neckstained_front.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/89a5y-neckstained_back.JPG

I'm really liking how the bass is looking, but the Tru-oil is taking forever. That's one big bastard to keep applying thin coats to!! I think I'm up to 15 or so now...

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
30-04-2014, 06:30 AM
15 coats of tru oil, wow, and you have a pint glass of tru oil next to it while you apply it ?
looking sensational Gav, you are clearly improving your builds. Thats what practice does !

stan
30-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Nice work Gav, at this rate you are going to need a showroom soon

Hillsy
30-04-2014, 07:04 AM
Looks awesome Gav, love the colour, if it's still an option could you offset the tuners like a cello, they both have four strings and all.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/xmywk-cello.jpg

dingobass
30-04-2014, 07:05 AM
Looking nice Gav :) Really dig the burst on the headstock!

15 coats? Mate, thats about ten too many!

The trick with any finish is to keep it thin.
The reason being is that with time, a thick finish will start to cloud and become patchy.
Regardless of the type of finish coats used, a thin coat will end up being harder than a thick coat.

Typically, 120- 250 microns will give all the protection needed against knocks and bumps.. in other words about 4-5 thin wipe on coats.
I am writing a tutorial with all the historical evidence to back this up, I will hopefully have it done soon!

bargeloobs
30-04-2014, 07:12 AM
[quote]/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on April 29, 2014, 14:53
hi guys,

Finally got around to putting some Colortone dye onto the neck of the bass today. I took a leaf out of BG's book and attempted a little burst on there. It turned out *ok*. I'm planning to use some Wudtone neck top-coat over the Colortone. Should be ok right? Well we will soon see...

I'm diggin' those colours Gav, it looks slick!

gavinturner
30-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks @Bargey, @Hillsy, @Stan @DB & @Wokka for the kind words.

@DB - yeah i know you are right about the number of coats. I just seem to need that many thin coats to get the shine I am after. Half of them are thinned with turps, but it's still a lot. Hopefully once Dingotone is released you'll have a gloss top-coat that I can put straight over my Colortone dye?? :P

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
30-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Ahhh, now therin lies your problem.. thinning the t..t..you know, that stuff :)

I never thin any top coat more than 2-5 %, I know most say you can go 10% but that generally is just too thin.
It also has the nasty side effect of melting the coats under it. This is what is killing off the gloss!

You may be better to apply a rather liberal coat of oil (dont thin more than 2-5%) and then wipe off the excess. Leave this for at least 24 hours- again, regardless of what it says on the can- then give it a very light rub with steel wool, rinse and repeat... hang on, wrong instructions.... Light rub with steel wool then a nice thin coat of /</p>[]</p>/neat t...t..tr.. nope, still cant say it.. That oil :), light rub back, blah blah blah...
4-5 coats should nail it!

The theory is the same as for Oil Painting (the Van Gogh type) where you always put down each layer in the Fat over Lean method.
That is, each layer is slightly thicker than the previous layer.
This stops crazing, orange peel effect, clouding etc and gives a really stable and hard finish that will still move enough to compensate for any movement in the matrix, in this case, the Guitar.
If you apply any finish in this manner, you will find that you will get a much better level of gloss.

Yhep, I see no reason as to why the Dingotone finish coats wont stick to Colourtone dyes, and from my latest test batch it looks like it will give a high gloss..

wokkaboy
01-05-2014, 03:07 AM
cheers for the gloss tips DB, I'll try that next project. Look forward to trying the new DT finish, so this is a liquid, not like your fingerboard wax ?

lawry
01-05-2014, 10:28 AM
@DB. That's something for me to remember. I hadn't heard of the Fat over Lean thing before. Thanks for that snippet mate.

Brendan
01-05-2014, 11:35 AM
DB - Great tip!!! Gav - great burst - challenging Wokks for burst king soon!

gavinturner
01-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks Brendan. I could never hope to match the reigning king!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
02-05-2014, 05:07 AM
nah Gav your bursting is coming along really nicely bro, as they say its all practice !

you are approaching 900 posts, not long you will join the 1000+ post team !

stan
02-05-2014, 09:01 AM
gratuitous post to encourage Gav and get closer to 1000 posts.... nice burst effect work Gav

gavinturner
02-05-2014, 09:21 AM
oh, @Wokka, did you say something??

gavinturner
02-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks @Wokka and @Stan. my bursting skills are improving slowly!!!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
13-06-2014, 03:39 AM
hi guys,

Well, finally a little more progress on this build. Today I attached the bridge ground wire and glued up the neck. The E string did seem a little further towards the middle of the fretboard at the pickup end than i remember during mockup, but I hope it will be alright. I muscled it sideways as much as i could and clamped it. Fingers crossed...

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/5qf0b-IMG_4387_small.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/70746-IMG_4388_small.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/yz095-IMG_4391_small.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
13-06-2014, 03:42 AM
Neck is set. You can see in the bottom right one of the two patches where the side veneer has lifted internally. Not happy about it, but I'm too damn scared to do anything about it :(. Apart from that I'm very happy with how she's proceeding.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/93dw1-IMG_4392_small.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/l585n-IMG_4393_small.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

stan
13-06-2014, 04:10 AM
looking sweet Gav

bargeloobs
13-06-2014, 04:19 AM
Jeez that's gonna be one good lookin' bass Gav, it looks better than a bought one already and you haven't even put her together!

gavinturner
14-06-2014, 05:01 AM
@Stan, @Barge - thanks guys!

This afternoon, the clamps came off the neck and the strings went on for an acoustic test. While the action is a little high, I'm really loving how the finish has come out. She looks so awesome - if I do say so myself ;).

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/z7w6w-IMG_4394_small.JPG

Suffice to say, there was more than a little bit of acoustic dum-dum-dum-dumming here in the man-cave once she was all tuned up. I so wish I could play bass!! (or even guitar for that matter :P ) Now it's just the electronics to go. Did I say *just* ? I'm sticking with the original kit-supplied pots for this one (not the larger CTS pots or their ilk) so I'm hoping it won't be *as* much of a struggle getting the wiring harness into the cavity. First though, I need a wiring harness. Onwards!

cheers,
Gav.

pablopepper
14-06-2014, 05:12 AM
That looks so bloody good Gav. Good luck with the wiring.

johnnychronic
14-06-2014, 05:56 AM
SWEEEET!

adam
14-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Wow, that really does look amazing Gav.

gavinturner
14-06-2014, 05:59 AM
@Pabs, @Johnny, @Adam - thanks guys!

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
14-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Gorgeous!

wokkaboy
14-06-2014, 06:45 AM
I've made my comments on FB but well done Gav, this will be an awesome bass once its finished

gavinturner
14-06-2014, 06:55 AM
@Nick, @Wokka - thanks for the kind words. At this rate I may even be ready for July GOTM. Who knows :). Depends if Johnny or Andy or Jarrod or Wokka or Pablo or ... has a build ready too. Hang on, hasn't Pablo already entered for July?? Damnation!!

cheers,
Gav.

Dengreg
14-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Colour is outstanding. ....

Brendan
14-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Looking great there Gav! Keen to see how this one finishes up and sounds!

jarrod
14-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Looks awsome Gav. Mmmmm that would look nice hanging next to my ES.

gavinturner
14-06-2014, 12:47 PM
@Denis, @Brendan, @Jarrod - thanks guys for the kind words! I'm no bass player but I'm really enjoying noodling around in acoustic mode :).

cheers,
Gav.

west0288
14-06-2014, 02:09 PM
You've done a phenomenal job here, Gav.

That colour looks incredible, with a really nice, tasteful burst.

Awesome.

Fretworn
14-06-2014, 09:49 PM
And there it is, just up the F3. If only I trusted my car to make the drive, I'd love to see this beastie for real.

Andyport
14-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Looking superb Gav. Love the colours and the burst. Brilliant job!
May I ask how you applied the Colortone? Rubbed or sprayed?
I used Colortone on my 1st build, the LP, by adding it to the lacquer.
Is that what you did?

cheers
Andy

gavinturner
14-06-2014, 10:26 PM
@Westy, @Fretty - thanks guys. @Andy - Yep it's Colortone applied with a rag and blended to produce the burst. Vintage Amber in the centre and Red Mahogany on the outside. Kept rubbing over with the Mahogany when it was really wet and then wiping it off again with a clean rag to get the travel out from the edges along the figure. Worked extremely well, but I'm not sure I could get such a great result a second time ;).

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
14-06-2014, 10:46 PM
You did a great job Gav. I reckon you have really nailed this one.
Next time should be easier, with the amount of experience you now have.
Well done mate.

Analyst69
15-06-2014, 05:11 AM
Love the finish on that one Gav.

The Burst is beautiful and the smooth gloss you have achieved is magnificent.

More and more of the builds on this forum are looking better finished than factory guitars.

Look forward to hearing a demo of this one.

Cheers

Darren

Fretworn
17-06-2014, 01:38 AM
Gav, were you at Supanova yesterday? I'm sure I walked past you at one point, but in those crowds you can never be sure.

gavinturner
17-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Hey Geoff,

LOL :). Yes I was there! You should have stopped me and said g'day! Amazed you recognised me :).

cheers,
Gav.

ponch
17-06-2014, 03:25 AM
This looks incredible. Well done buddy.

wokkaboy
17-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Gav everyone knows what you look like from your excellent videos mate !
Did you get the wiring finished on the weekend ?

gavinturner
17-06-2014, 04:44 AM
@Andrew - thanks dude. Almost finished now!
@Wokka - yep, the wiring is almost there now. The wiring harness is complete (and tested) and I've just finished shielding the PUP cavities and grounding them to the bridge.

Tomorrow I hope to have this bad boy all put together :) . Can't wait for amplified dum-dum-dum madness!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/00000-bass_shielding.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/642xt-bass_wiring.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
17-06-2014, 04:49 AM
good stuff Gav, look forward to a sound demo. Did you work out if they are guitar or bass pups supplied ?

gavinturner
17-06-2014, 06:52 AM
@Wokka - no, no idea. I'm just gonna wing it with whatever they are :)

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
17-06-2014, 06:58 AM
can you please post a photo of the pups Gav ? do they look similar to the G type guitar pups, are they chrome with the screws ontop ?

gavinturner
17-06-2014, 07:00 AM
No worries - will post a photo soon Wokka. They are like covered HBs but without the screws.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
17-06-2014, 07:02 AM
actually don't worry Gav I could see the buckers on a previous photo. Not sure if they are bass or guitar pups. Wait till you plug it in !
nice tidy wiring job mate, love your cardboard template !

gavinturner
17-06-2014, 08:29 AM
She's alive! Wiring install took only 15 minutes! a new record!!!
I've never had a bass before, but she feels and sounds aweome!
Here's some quick happy snaps. Better photos to come.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/252a9-IMG_4405.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/btm8q-IMG_4406.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
17-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Very classy Gav. I'm sure I've said it before but I'll say it again. You're the king of the burst. This is very lustworthy.

gavinturner
17-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks Lawry. I had a quick play when the wires went in and she's feels really, really nice. I dont have any experience playing bass, and this is my first instrument, but I can't believe I've been missing out all these years! I played a friend's bass way back when (in highschool) and didn't like it. I think the action must have been very high etc. This one feels silky smooth and so easy to fret the strings! It's such a great instrument to play - I love it already. :)

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
17-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Well done Gav good work on the wiring. Look forward to a quick video. I reckon bass guitars are pretty good. Next one I build will be a fretless. Going to be hard to beat this in gotm!

Brendan
17-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Well done Gav - nice job in hiding the wiring as well. Looks like an amazing bass!

Fretworn
18-06-2014, 02:00 AM
BOTM!

gavinturner
18-06-2014, 02:13 AM
Thanks Geoff :)

cheers,
Gav.

stan
18-06-2014, 04:19 AM
looks superb as always Gav, very nice job

djdubya
18-06-2014, 08:22 AM
That turned out real nice Gav!

Any chance of a shot of it alongside it's hollowbody stablemates for comparison? ...or maybe to fuel a few cases of GAS?

Dennis.

gavinturner
19-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Thanks Dennis!

It's hard to get a good photo here in the man cave, but here's the best I can do:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/dr5t7-hollows.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

bargeloobs
19-06-2014, 12:22 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on June 16, 2014, 17:29
She's alive! Wiring install took only 15 minutes! a new record!!!
I've never had a bass before, but she feels and sounds aweome!
Here's some quick happy snaps. Better photos to come.

It looks even better all assembled than I imagined, I just love the subtlety of that burst, it almost looks "pastel".
A true thing of beauty Gav!

wokkaboy
19-06-2014, 12:43 AM
nice looking wall Gav, a great looking (part of your) collection !

pablopepper
19-06-2014, 12:49 AM
Look at all those f holes! That collection is rather drool inducing Gav.

gavinturner
19-06-2014, 01:09 AM
@Wokka, @Barge, @Pablo - thanks guys. I do love a nice f-hole!! :P

cheers,
Gav.

djdubya
21-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the comparison photo Gav. Looks like you've still got some space on that wall :)

I've just ordered an ES-1GT tonight and have started scratching my head over colour and hardware choices. Will have to start a build thread and seek some advice from the lads on the forum I think. Was looking at your blog before and picked up a few ideas.

Hopefully the bass is going in the monthly comp?

Cheers,

Dennis.

gavinturner
21-06-2014, 12:22 PM
@Dennis - you'll love the ES. The 335 semi-hollows are such great kits to finish and the resulting guitars are just so awesome. I do have some room on my wall, you are right, but I also have 6 completed solid bodies lying around the room in need of hangers!

For the bass, I'm just waiting on a decal from Andy before submitting for GOTM. Hopefully I will be in time.

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
21-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Those hollow bodies look awesome Gav. Must be terrible having to decide which one to play!
Got your decal posted off a couple of days ago...you should get it early in the week.
All the best for GOTM, the bass is superb.

Cheers
Andy

gavinturner
21-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks Andy, and special thanks for the quick turnaround on the decal :). You da man! (sic)

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
21-06-2014, 10:07 PM
You're definitely the king of the hollow body, Gav. A most enviable collection.
You got any plans to do the ES-3?

gavinturner
22-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Thanks Lawry :). I would love to do an ES with a spalted maple cap. Planning a special order later in the year. Maybe a christmas present for yours truly ?? :P

cheers,
Gav.

jarrod
22-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Absolutley love this guitar Gav. You are creating some magical looking axes mate.

gavinturner
22-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks Jarrod. That's high praise indeed given your spectacular 335 from last month. Not sure my build is on par yet, but I'm trying ;).

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
24-06-2014, 08:04 AM
A couple of final snaps..

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/i19m7-1.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/1518s-3.jpg

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/zd990-4.jpg

gavinturner
24-06-2014, 08:08 AM
and a couple more..

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/8125m-8.jpg

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2w130-9.jpg

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/f7ia8-11.jpg

adam
24-06-2014, 08:51 AM
That's just beautiful Gavin.

gavinturner
24-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Thanks Adam! :)

cheers,
Gav

Fretworn
25-06-2014, 01:45 AM
Schweet!

keloooe
25-06-2014, 01:51 AM
Beautiful Gav, absolutely amazing finish!

wokkaboy
25-06-2014, 01:57 AM
@ Gav -> yes a GOTM winner in my opinion - so far.
@ Pest -> you come out of hibernation !

stan
25-06-2014, 05:20 AM
This is an absolute ripper Gav!

fender3x
12-03-2016, 04:56 AM
hi guys,

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/zzx26-neck_alignment.jpg

I have the same kit and am at the point of wanting to test the neck alignment. No finish on my kit, as in this pic... My question is about how you mounted the bridge for this? I don't want to put in the ferrules for the big screws the hold the bridge in place until I put on the finish...and am curious how you handled this?

gavinturner
12-03-2016, 06:52 PM
I have the same kit and am at the point of wanting to test the neck alignment. No finish on my kit, as in this pic... My question is about how you mounted the bridge for this? I don't want to put in the ferrules for the big screws the hold the bridge in place until I put on the finish...and am curious how you handled this?

I just pushed the bridge posts into the pre-drilled holes and mounted the bridge. When I was dont, I just levered the bridge posts back out again and then started finishing. I often find this is a good idea anyway as any issues needed to get the bridge posts into the holes can be noted before the finish goes on.

Hope this helps!

cheers,
Gav.

fender3x
12-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks! My worry about doing that has been that the posts might pull out later under sting tension. Have you had any issues with that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

gavinturner
13-03-2016, 05:19 AM
No problems at all - the posts are nice and tight. Dont worry, it's quite normal to install the posts during the mock build. The holes don't change or anything like that when you pull them back out again. You wont have any issues.

cheers,
Gav.

fender3x
13-03-2016, 05:24 AM
That's great news. Totally the best option. I do want the bass to play well even if I don't get it as pretty as yours (and BTW, wow!). Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk