PDA

View Full Version : Gavs ES-2T Florentine

gavinturner
18-11-2013, 12:08 AM
hi guys,

My birthday has been and gone and left me with 3 new Pitbull boxes in the man-cave here at Holgate. Joy! Although I'd put in my orders, I am particularly happy with a totally unexpected ES-2T kit. Awesome surprise!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/1g53b-unboxing.JPG

The kit looks good - there is just one patch of glue to deal with and fortunately it isnt on the nice maple veneer. There is one particuarly crappy fret however that looks like something red has been spilled on it and some 80 git sand paper has been used to try and clean it up. I think i'll be able to sand it flat again with a little patience.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/wx3w0-bad_fret.JPG

The veneer has a subtle quilted figure that I'm liking - I've never handled quilted maple before, so will be a nice challenge to get it to pop. I think I'll be rocking a trapeze tailpiece on this one with a fixed tune-o-matic bridge. Dont like the swirly tailpiece supplied so will probably replace with a simple one.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/8y43s-bodyfromside.JPG

I do have one issue that I need some advice on from the set-neck gurus out there. Although I've worked on 2 set-neck builds in the past, the kits came with the neck already fixed in place. As a result I'm pretty nervous about getting it perfect. I'll post my question about the neck (with pictures) in a follow up post.

cheers,
Gav

gavinturner
18-11-2013, 12:17 AM
hi guys,

I have one question about how to tackle the set-neck on this bad boy. The neck itself is nice and tight, without any large gaps to either side. It goes down right to the bottom of the pocket, sitting nicely against the heel of the body.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/82b33-neckheel.JPG

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/5d50g-neck_goodside.JPG

My issue is with one side of the fretboard that looks a little too high - there's a sizeable gap between it and the body even though the heel of the neck seems to be sitting nice and flat in the pocket.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/16rh9-neck_gapside.JPG

So what is the solution here? Should I sand down the flat base of the neck on that side? Should I just fill the gap with Timbermate? I'm a total noob as soon as a woodworking issue raises it's ugly head, so any help you Pitbull bretheren can bestow on me is most welcome.

thanks,
Gav.

lawry
18-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Hi Gav.
I'm no set neck guru. Hell, I'm still on my second build, and it's a bolt on. However, my first build was a set neck RC-1 and after watching the videos and reading the posts I boldly went where I had never gone before. I took my time, went carefully and, in retrospect, it wasn't as scary as I'd led myself to believe. I'm certainly not fazed by doing another if required. With your experience in guitar building I don't think you'll have any problems. Hopefully they are not 'famous last words'.

WeirdBits
18-11-2013, 12:45 AM
What is the cross-sectional (horizontal) angle of the fretboard like in relation to the body? i.e. Is the end of the fretboard level across the body with the body just a little low on the treble side, or is the fretboard skewed and sitting high at the lower edge due to a misshaped heel or neck pocket? You may also want to check the longitudinal neck angle in relation to the TOM bridge you plan on using, just to make sure that gap isn't indicating another potential issue.

If all the angles look good, it could maybe just be solved by glueing a thin strip of matching binding horizontally under the lip of the fretboard binding and then sandng it down to the thickness required. As it's the lower edge you won't really see it so would probably end up being almost invisible... no woodworking, only plastic working required. Just an idea.

Pedrovelo
18-11-2013, 02:05 AM
Sorry Gav, can't help you with the issue but will certainly be watching this one with interest. Looking to do this one as my next build.

gavinturner
18-11-2013, 05:00 AM
@Scott: thanks for the pointers. I'll take a closer look at the angles to see if the heel is tilting the fretboard. If it isnt't, then i'm going to have to fill the gap with *something* not sure what yet.

thanks everyone for the encouragement. Once I get past this issue and get the neck set it's going to be an enjoyable build :)!!

cheers,
Gav.

Gavin1393
18-11-2013, 06:12 AM
The issue is that the soundboard/top of the guitar body is curved whereas the fretboard is straight. Hence a minor adjustment is needed. Apply some 120 grit sandpaper down the intended resting place of the fretboard, then proceed to sand the fretboard. In no time at all the fretboard will take on the curved shape and then should fit beautifully!

Incidentally, this is also the problem often when a bridge rips itself off the soundboard of an acoustic guitar. The soundboard is also curved and the hapless builder just sticks it on flat without first curving it in the same manner described! Then said builder wonders why the bridge eventually tears away from the soundboard (often taking chunks of fibre with it).

gavinturner
18-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Thanks Gavmeister!
Just so it's clear for me - when you say 'sand the fretboard' I'm assuming you mean the underside of the fretboard where it lays along the body?

Thanks,
Gav.

gavinturner
27-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Got some sanding done today. Started with 180 on the sides and back to try to remove some of the original sanding marks. Moved on to 240 and then 360. After one go round with 360 it was time to raise the grain with metho and then another pass with 360 to knock it down again. On the front I began wth 240 and then moved to 360. Grain was raised with method here too, but the sanding was much lighter - I really dont want to sand through the top veneer! Smoooth.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/1nwgq-sanding_360.jpg

You can just see how smooth it is huh? :P. In the photo you can also see my very first build - a Jackson-Style V. I have just finished giving it some poly (!), shining the crap out of it, and adding shielding. It sounds awesome with it's Entwistle Dark Star Pickups! Rock on - Hoorah!

cheers,
Gav.

stan
27-11-2013, 08:46 AM
great work Gav, is the fret board flush now?

That V looks goood!

gavinturner
27-11-2013, 08:59 AM
@Stan: yeah it's acceptable. I sanded the heel of the neck a little on that side to drop it. Still not perfect, but as it drops on one side it's opening up the gap on the other. I'm pretty happy with how it is now. I am still planning to apply Gavin's suggestion, but I'm still digesting how to go about it..

Cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
29-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Lots of progress on the Florentine today. I don't think I've written a line of code all week! Anyway, I finished sanding and grain raising to 360 grit yesterday and managed to get my first trace dye onto the body to see how it looked. The purpose of the trace dye (at least for me) is two fold. Firstly it starts to pop the grain, but more importantly it shows any areas where glue persists.

I am still undecided about what colour to go with. I initially thought wine red, but also i'm considering amber. I have gold hardware on its way so these are the best choices I think. Anyway for the trace dye I used Red Mahogany Colortone dye as it was still possible to change my mind after this.

The trace dye did indeed show many many areas where glue persisted. Even a water wipe didn't show these to me! Oh well it was back to the 240 grit paper to give the top (and especially those glue spots) a rite seeing to.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/3ybd3-IMG_2894_trace2_highlights.JPG

gavinturner
29-11-2013, 04:39 AM
My gold hardware turned up from Guitar fetish today and it looks awesome. I have a 335 style trapeze tailpiece, tune-o-matic bridge and GFS Dream 180 humbuckers in gold surrounds. Should sound bloody awesome!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/9epy5-IMG_2903_bling.JPG

They'll certainly look great with the wine red colour that i have finally decided upon. After testing the look of the new bling, I set to sanding off the first trace dye with 240 grit sandpaper. 2 sheets (and a little of my sanity later) the trace dye was all but gone. I paid special attention to the glue spots. Hopefully i wont see them again. However, only another dye will tell me whether I've managed to get them all!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/4676u-IMG_2905_trace1sanded.JPG

Well see for yourself. The new trace dye is 80% Cherry Red and 20% Blue Colortone dye.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ayqlh-IMG_2907_tracedye2.JPG

I think it looks pretty good. Some of this will come off again as I sand back with 360, 400 and 600 grit papers. A final dye of 90% Cherry 10% Blue will finish off the colouring process once the sanding has been completed.

I still haven't decided on a colour for the back/neck. I was thinking just natural (with a little amber from the Tru-oil), but I'm also considering Amber or even darker brown. What do you guys reckon??

cheers,
Gav.

pablopepper
29-11-2013, 04:43 AM
Wow, that top... Is that quilted maple? Shame about the glue, but you gotta be happy with that top.

gavinturner
29-11-2013, 04:48 AM
@Pablo: yeah it's quilted. I hope I do it justice, but to remove the glue I did sand the crap out of it. Hopefully it will look good in the end.

cheers,
Gav.

pablopepper
29-11-2013, 04:53 AM
Lucky boy. Love the colour you've gone with, I don't think you'll have any problem about it 'looking good'. I reckon it'll look amazing.

wokkaboy
29-11-2013, 05:17 AM
yes as Pest says Wow oh Wow. Love the colours Gav and your forearm must be looking like Popeye's after all that sanding you've done lately. The gold bling on that cherry top will look amazing. Love the technique to find the glue - very clever idea.
As for neck colour I'd start with an amber and then if you need to darken it you have the option

stan
29-11-2013, 08:08 AM
A nice deep brown back and sides would compliment it well. Looks great

robin
29-11-2013, 08:58 AM
That top looks so nice Gav. Going to be awesome.

I'm sure that whatever you decide for the back and sides will look good. But if it was me I wouldn't be going for a dark stain, I think a light amber would show off that beautiful top. If the body is basswood, from my experience with Tru-Oil, I think that TO without a stain would be too light. Just my 2c worth.

rob

lawry
29-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Man that looks absolutely stunning Gav. The strength of the colour is beautiful. Personally, I hope it maintains it's boldness.

gavinturner
29-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! In the flesh the top is a little more purple than the photo shows, but I'm hoping that a more red top coat will bring it back from prince territory. I'm considering just continuing the same colour that I use on the top through to the back and sides too. It wouldn't provide contrast, but it would match. What do you guys think of that?

Cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
29-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Sanded off the second trace coat this morning. Looks even more purple now that the dye is completely dry and has lightened up but that's normal. I have taken quite a bit off with 360 grit and polished it off with 400. It's ready for the last dye coat (I hope) which will be more of a standard cherry. I'm thinking of darkening it with 10% blue, but I'm not sure. Maybe the dye already in the figure (which had 20% blue) will make the end-result dark enough. Hmm..

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/33180-IMG_2916_trace2sand1.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/i7092-IMG_2919_trace2sand2.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
30-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Hi Gav
Red+Blue=Purple.
I had also read on the net that some people use a small percentage of blue into cherry to darken it.
But to me, if you put any blue into red it will turn it purpleish. When doing my ES I had the same dilemma.
I ended up using a few drops of both Walnut and Mahogany dye stains (FW Prooftint) in with the Cherry.
It darkened it without losing too much red. Don't know if this is the type of colour you are after?
If so, hope it helps.
Cheers
Andy

gavinturner
30-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks Andy,

Yeah I did a test before starting with 90% Cherry + 10% Blue and it looked pretty good. Just a hint of wine but definately not purple. I really wasn't thinking when I decided to darken this up with more blue for the trace dye. It's been that kind of week. I really should have used mahogany or even black. Oh well, you live and learn. I think I'll do a couple of tests on pine to see what a) 100% Cherry, b) 90%+10% Blue and c) 95%+5% Mahogany look like over my trace. Fun times!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
01-12-2013, 03:41 AM
Ok, so I forwent the testing. Instead I went straight ahead with the finishing off this quilted dye job like a bull in a china shop. I used two colours in the end as part of the job - a 100% Colortone Cherry, and a 90% Cherry + 10% Blue 'Wine-Red' mix. I kept a 90% Cherry + 10% Medium Brown mix on hand (as per Andy's suggestion) in case I needed it, but in the end I didn't.

The Cherry was wiped on first as the 'base' colour for all the non-figured parts of the grain. The wine-red mix was wiped on next to highlight the more figured parts of the quilting. I have used this technique before in my other dye jobs and it seems to work well. What happens is that the base colour settles into the wood where there is no figure. These wood fibres remain saturated with stain, whilst the figured parts of the grain soak in the dye and are ready for more. When the second colour is applied (usually a more concentrated solution of the first) it is wiped lightly across the surface and is taken up by the figure only. Of course this only happens whilst the first pass is still wet. If you take too long, or do too many passes with the more concentrated colour then the whole surface slowly begins to darken.

Basically this is how I worked today, but after the initial pass with the darker shade I kept temporarily changing back to the 100% Cherry to touch up any areas that still looked too purple from the trace dye. In the end I got the dark red I was looking for (or at least a close approximation of it).

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/du1m5-last-top-dye.jpg

I'm sure it could have been achieved with other colour mixes, but the Blue as darkening agent worked well enough for me in this case. The photo shows a little lighter and 'redder' than the colour is in real life, but it does show the figure standing out quite nicely. The next step will be 3 or 4 coats of Tru-Oil to really get into the grain and bring out the 'chatoyance' (oo la la) of the quilted figure.

I certainly can't take any credit for this method of applying dye to figured maple. I learned about it from this you tube video from Bill of Canadianbreed Guitars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q1n_g6PA_c0

It's a great video and a great technique - I recommend you check it out if you are using, or are thinking of using, dyes on your guitars.

cheers,
Gav.

jarrod
01-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Looks stunning Gav

Tim
01-12-2013, 10:48 PM
WOW looks great Gav another great build in the making

Andyport
01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Well done Gav...the colour looks excellent, beautiful red, glad you got there in the end.
Getting the colour to how you originally envisaged it in your head is far from easy.
This is going to look superb when finished...not an easy build by any standards, but you are so onto it!!

lawry
01-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Man, the strength of the colours and grain is fantastic Gav. This is going to be such a bold guitar. Can't wait to see it in the line up.

gavinturner
02-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not sure this one is going to be to everyone's taste, but hey ;).

I got the dye on the sides and back today. I used the same wine-red colour that I mixed up for the front - 90% Cherry and 10% Blue Colortone dye.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/4xa9i-back-first-dye.jpg

The grain on the back of the guitar has come up really nicely, and the contrast with the front of the guitar (I wanted the back of the guitar a little darker) is good. It's amazing that even though this is only basswood, there's some real flame figure happening there! The colour is looking rather pink on the front now that it is fully dry, but both will darken up a quite bit as the Tru-Oil goes on.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/q2ul0-back-first-dye-2.jpg

The dye went on without incident (it's uniform at least), although there were one or two minor glue spots that I missed during sanding. For these I'll have to do a bit more sanding and then patch up the dye job.
After that, the next job is to scrape the binding!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/lp23l-back-first-dye-3.jpg

cheers,
Gav.

stan
02-12-2013, 06:36 AM
so much work Gav, all worth it, nice

gavinturner
03-12-2013, 05:41 AM
hi guys,

A bit more work on the florentine today. I managed to sand and stain the neck and headstock, as well as scrape the binding's clean of dye and put the first coat of Tru-Oil on the top veneer. Trying to scrape that binding inside the f-holes was a bitch. finally managed it with a small exacto-blade. Fun times.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/r1090-first_truoil.jpg

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
03-12-2013, 06:43 AM
looks amazing Gav, well done. You know having a photo with a bottle of tru oil in it will earn you a nice stay in the naughty corner, its getting mighty crowded !

gavinturner
03-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Hehe thanks Wokka. I can't help living dangerously :).

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
03-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Here's another shot sans the Tru-Oil. I think it's a better shot than the previous one - you can see the figure a little better ;). The colour is very RED isn't it. In real life it's a lot darker than it looks here I promise 8-) . I'll get a photo tomorrow in the sunshine to try and give a true representation.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/a962x-first_truoil-2.jpg

cheers,
Gav.

stan
03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
terrific job

wokkaboy
04-12-2013, 12:29 AM
we've just fit a sunlight in the naughty corner Gav and we ordered a keg of tru oil, so you should be able to get a good photo there. Looking stunning, few more coats of 'clear' should make that grain really pop

pablopepper
04-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Coming together very nicely Gav. That red neck is outrageous. Love it.

gavinturner
04-12-2013, 02:44 AM
@Stan, @Pablo: thanks guys. it's looking better with each new coat of tru-oil. @Wokka: oh wow, finally i get to hang out with the cool kids :P.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
04-12-2013, 04:16 AM
more the merrier in the naughty corner Gav, since it started it's quite decked out now and got enough room to keep building, we've just run out of beer though, please bring a few slabs !

lawry
06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
And a pizza?

Andyport
06-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Think I should join you guys to. I have used nothing but that dreaded 'L' word on all my builds.
Surely that would gain me entry! Besides, I like beer and pizza too...sounds like fun.

Gavin1393
06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
New rules of the Naughty corner!
Rule 1: Bring a Slab of Beer
Rule 2: If in doubt, Bring Two Slabs...

wokkaboy
07-12-2013, 02:46 AM
Gav I really like those rules, lucky you, myself and AJ are founding members and don't have to buy any more ! haha

gavinturner
07-12-2013, 03:00 AM
Sounds like a party - the beer is on me. Someone should build a pizza oven...

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
07-12-2013, 03:05 AM
@ Gav --> if we hold the end of year naughty corner shindig at 4D we can cook pizza's in my wood fired oven ! Just going to be a long trip if you don't live in Perth !

gavinturner
07-12-2013, 03:27 AM
hi guys,

Well, i've had a bit of a hiatus the last couple of days waiting for new Tru-Oil to arrive in the mail. My build came to a screeching halt because i forgot about rules 3r and 4 of using Tru-Oil. Do you guys know the rules of Tru-Oil?

Rule 1: You Don't talk about Tru-Oil.
Rule 2: YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT Tru-Oil.
Rule 3: Store your Tru-Oil with as little exposure to air as possible.
Rule 4: Don't use *old* Tru-Oil.

Fact is, this stuff goes cruddy after a month or two in the bottle after it has been opened. Normally I try to increase the shelf life during a project by following rule 3 and a) only pricking a small hole in the top, b) squeezing all the air out of the bottle every time I replace the cap, and c) keeping it upside down when not using it.

However, at the end of my last Tru-Oil build, having just started a new bottle, I didn't do any of these things After 2 months and a new project I found myself using the same bottle again without a second thought and noticed a really rough surface after application. Looks like the oil has started to oxidize in the bottle and has produced little specks of dried crap all through it. Dag-nab-it!

So, now I have a softly-softly process to try to sand those specks back down to nothing without sanding through to the dye underneath. Will see how it goes once my new tru-oil arrives. Repeated applications and wet sandings may be appropriate. Dunno. I wasn't planning on using a lot of Tru-Oil this time around as it was....

In the meantime, I have been looking at my colour choice and doubting that as well. In certain lights right now the top almost looks lipstick pink FFS! I know it will darken up a bit with the oil soaked into it, but still it is worrying me. I put the gold hardware on there to see if this allayed my fears...

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/q2xhd-IMG_2992_withhardware.JPG

It did somewhat - it does look *pretty ok* but not the jaw drop I was after. Hmmm. How to fix it now that a couple of layers of Tru-Oil have been applied? Not sure. Maybe add some colour to the clear coats??? Colortone dye in Acrylic or Poly clear? Anyone tried this?? What do you guys reckon?

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
07-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Hey Gav. That looks spectacular with the gold hardware! The whole vibe of the thing just shines. That guitar has it's own mojo!

Gavin1393
07-12-2013, 03:46 AM
Gav, when the Tru-oil goes cruddy, try mixing some Shellite in the bottle and this should sort out the cruddiness.
Off to resume my spot in the corner, Gav, please bring beer.....

pablopepper
07-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Hey Gav, just a heads up, those steel pickup rings you've got might not work. I used them on my tele and loved them, we were going to use them on my brother's ESG-1 but found when you screw them down the screw holes bend outwards and bind the screws making height adjustment pretty much impossible. We sanded the top off plastic rings and used the steel ones on top.

gavinturner
07-12-2013, 06:20 AM
@Lawry - Thanks dude. The colour isn't as dark as it looks in the photo, but I do like it beter with the hardware on.
@Gav - Shellite eh? Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try asap! Beer on the way!
@Pablo - thanks for the heads up. I used similar rings on my ES335 and they seemed ok, but I might have to find arched top 'normal sized' mounting rings.

cheers,
Gav.

jarrod
07-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Quick question Gav, I'm a newby to dies and Wudtone etc.. Once I have put the deep colour on is the oil we never speak of ok to put on top or should I put the base coat on first of Wudtone

gavinturner
07-12-2013, 09:14 AM
@jarrod - interesting question! Personally I have never mixed the two (tru-oil and wudtone) so unfortunately I can't hazard an opinion. I usually use tru-oil over Colortone dye from Stewmac whereas Wudtone is itself an oil based product. For me the wudtone deep colour and then base colour coats are analogous to the colortone dye and then tru oil steps. The base colour coat is like a mix of oil and dye all in one step. Not much help with your question, but I have never felt the need for tru-oil over Wudtone.

Hope this helps (at least a little)
Gav.

gavinturner
07-12-2013, 09:16 AM
@jarrod - But personally I would stick with the Wudtone deep + base coats and then see where you are after that. The finish (in my experience) won't need much else but the Wudtone clear to finish it off..

Cheers,
Gav.

jarrod
07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks gav

gavinturner
10-12-2013, 06:41 AM
@Gavmeister - you are a bloody marvel! Adding Shellite worked wonders with my cruddy old Tru-oil. All the greebles are gone and it's wiping on smooth as silk again!

Cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
21-12-2013, 05:11 AM
hi guys,

Got about 12 coats of tru-oil on the front and back of the Florentine and have wet-sanded every few coats to 800 grit. Time to start with the 1200 grit and thinned Tru-Oil!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/4olau-IMG_3068_small.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/m928v-IMG_3069_small.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/833gj-IMG_3074_small.JPG

Starting to look nice, especially on the back. Hard to believe that this is only basswood! I really like how the wine red stain has come up. Wish the front was a little darker, but I'm thinking of spraying a little clear this time around and maybe I'll add some more Colortone dye to the clear. Maybe even a little dark burst around the edges? Dunno.

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
21-12-2013, 06:15 AM
That's looking excellent Gav. You have a lot of patience.

johnnychronic
21-12-2013, 06:21 AM
NI-ICE!! That's like crushed velvet.

WeirdBits
21-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Looks amazing Gav.

stan
21-12-2013, 09:56 AM
SHINEY - nice work

jarrod
22-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Hey Gav , Looks amazing dude. What compound do you use to buff out any lines left by the application cloth.

gavinturner
22-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys, it's coming along! I've made some serious misjudgements with this one (mostly colour choices) which I am putting down to excitement and impatience. I am at least becoming more and more comfortable using dye with each build.

@Jarrod - with the Tru-Oil I find that the finish settles if I can get it on there fast enough and have my last pass wiping with the grain. However it is also often the case that the stuff doesn't dry flat, either because of low humidity, high temperature or whatever. In these cases, it is wet sanding to the rescue. I usually sand to 600 grit before applying the dye and first coats of Tru-Oil and therefore I start wet-sanding at 800 grit after every 2-3 coats (6 coats initially). Once a grit looks pretty uniform, then I move up. From 600 to 800 grit and then 1200, 1500 and 2000 grits. For the 1200, 1500 and 200 grits, I start to thin the Tru-Oil 50:50 with mineral turps. This makes it dry slower and settle better to produce a really level finish.

With Wudtone? Well, that's a different story. I *always* end up with wipe marks after applying Wudtone clear coats. I dont know what I am doing wrong, but they are there. The coats are so thin I dont feel confident wet sanding them. The only thing I have found that works for me is to buff the clear coats out at the end with Colortone medium, fine and swirl remover compounds. I have also found though that the Wudtone clear is quite a thin layer so it is possible to rub through, especially on the edges of a solid-body.

And now the disclaimer! I have done 2 wudtone builds, and both times I have looked at the Wudtone clear coats and, even though they came up nicely with the compound, I resorted to a few coats of Minwax wipe-on poly to try and increase the shine and give me more protection. I really wish I knew what I was doing wrong with the Wudtone clear coats! With the poly added the final finish looks good, but it kinda renders the use of Wudtone redundant as far as tone goes..

Anyway, I hope this helps.

cheers,
Gav.

jarrod
22-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Well thanks for that Gav , I have joined the naughty corner and I am in the process of putting tru oil over my Wudtone Deep coats and I am having great success but was getting lines from the rag still . A wet sanding I go then and I will start thinning with turps too. Cheers for sharing that mate

gavinturner
22-12-2013, 09:48 AM
@Jarrod - no worries dude. Let us know how you go. The tru-oil can also be rubbed out with compound at the end for a really nice shine!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
06-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Well, the neck is finally set on the Florentine. I was a little nervous - I've never set a neck before - but everything seemed to work out OK. Well, I guess I won't really know until mid week when the clamps come off, but here's hoping...!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/v43g5-20140105_11-11-47_neckglue1.jpg

The nice thing about this build is that the bridge posts aren't drilled yet so I didnt have to worry about string alignment while gluing. I can do the bridge in a second step and worry about alignment then. 8-)

cheers,
Gav.

jarrod
06-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Looking very classy Gav, that would look nice on my wall as good as it would in my hands

crundes
06-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Looks Awesome Gav! I'm barely into my first build but these photos are making me want to grab another kit already....

gavinturner
06-01-2014, 10:07 PM
@Jarrod, @Crundes: thanks guys. The colour isn't quite as dark as I was hoping for, but it's coming along!

Cheers,
Gav.

maxaxe
07-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Wow Gavin, that body looks almost irridescent with what reminds me of "watered silk" from times gone by.
I really like the colour so far too - this is gunna be a stunna.

lawry
07-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Hey Gav. Wish you lived closer. I would love to play some jazz on that. It's gorgeous.

gavinturner
07-01-2014, 01:58 PM
@Max: yeah you gotta love that quilted maple veneer. Could have done more with it (popped it more) but it's looking ok as-is.
@Lawry: I imagine after bludgeoning my way through Smells Like Teen Spirit for the tenth time, the guitar is gonna wish you lived closer too!! ;)

Cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
08-01-2014, 04:30 AM
hi guys,

Well, i left the neck clamped for 2 whole days. Is it long enough?? I hope so. The clamps are off now and the neck joint looks good. I was a bit worried that the angle of the neck looked too shallow, so I immediately attached the trapeze tailpiece with a couple of strings across the bridge (no posts) to see what the relief was like. The strings are still on the deck (but only just) with the bridge sitting like this. I'm hoping that with the bridge posts in there will still be some adjustment necessary, allowing a nice action to be achieved. I'm finding this 'not being able to shim' is a real ball breaker! Anyway I think it looks ok, but the bridge posts will be the kicker.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/221k8-neck_on_small.JPG

Yet another photo, and yet another different shade of cherry being shown. Hard to show you guys the real colour here. Always looks better in the photos!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-01-2014, 05:02 AM
well done Gav you must be proud of this build. Love the gloss factor. So another F hole wiring installation you've done one of these before ?

Gavin1393
08-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Flippin Awesome....hope this end up in the compo....me like.....!

gavinturner
08-01-2014, 05:42 AM
@Gav: thanks for the kind words! :)
@Wokka: yeah I've done a 335 before using the fish pipe method. Frustrating as hell!! Not looking forward to the wiring phase of this one ;).

Cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-01-2014, 05:58 AM
if you have built a 335 then it should be easier 2nd time and pot distances look a bit closer to the F hole in this one. Is the input jack on the side about same place as a Les Paul ? Noticed its a long way to the pickup selector, might be a coat hanger job to get that far !

Brendan
08-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Looking awesome here Gav - loving it!

gavinturner
08-01-2014, 05:14 PM
@Wokka: yeah the 5mm aquarium pipe should see the pickup selector right (i hope!!). I've bought some shielded 4-core wire from Stewmac to help me wire the sucker.
@Brendan: thanks man. Here's hoping there isn't some last minute stuff up! ;)

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
08-01-2014, 09:46 PM
That really does look beautiful Gav...what a lovely job you've done.

Been meaning to ask how do those GFS pickups sound? Have you tried any of their others as well?
Been looking through their extensive range, and for the money they look very tempting.
Especially for someone as musically challenged as myself :? it's not a lot to outlay to upgrade a kit.

gavinturner
09-01-2014, 07:48 AM
@Andy - These are the Dream 180s and unfortunately I haven't heard them yet. All I had to convince me for purchase was the video on the guitarfetish site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bmUe0KkW3UQ

Having said this, I *have* used GFS pickups on two previous builds - my 12 string 335, and my hollowbody 175. For these I used the Retrotron Surf-90s and Retrotron Nashvilles respectively. To my ear at least, these pickups sound freakin awesome! It all depends what you are looking for I guess, but I really love the Retrotrons and their vintage / gretschy sound. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

That's why I went back for the Dream 180s for this build, because and I wanted to see if I liked others in the range. I'm fully expecting them to sound awesome!!

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
09-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks heaps for that Gav...
have been thinking for a while about the Vintage 59's for my ES-1GT. Should give it that real vintage warm sound. But after hearing about the Retrotron range, I should also give them a listen.
Not sure which of their range would suit the LP though...but definitely worth looking into.
Cheers for that,
Andy

MetalMatt
09-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Geez that top looks awesome Gav, once all the hardware is on this baby will look very classy IMO.

And I tell you what, you've piqued my interest in GFS pickups too. Not only do they sound great and look damn great (I love the pearloid on yours) but I'm blown away by the price of them! VERY affordable I reckon.

pablopepper
09-01-2014, 09:47 PM
I am a solid GFS convert. The price is unbeatable for the the quality. To my ears they sound as good if not better than pickups that cost 2-3 times as much.

gavinturner
09-01-2014, 10:20 PM
@Matt - thanks for the kind words, I'm hoping it will come out nice in the end :)! I agree totally with Pablo. I'm really happy with the GFS pickups for their price point. Entwistle pickups are also very good for around the same price (I've used Dark Star and HXV on two previous builds too and they are also awesome), but there isn't nearly the range that GFS have. There certainly are many other better pickups out there (ToneRiders etc) but I do believe these two suppliers are the best around this price. I have recently received some GFS '52 professional series telecaster pickups, so I'm very excited about how they might sound..

cheers,
Gav.

MetalMatt
09-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Damn you Gav, I spent an hour last night adding about $400 worth of pickups to my 'wishlist' on the Guitar Fetish website! ;)

gavinturner
09-01-2014, 11:41 PM
LOL - Awesome!!!

Cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
11-01-2014, 11:59 PM
hi guys,

Got the TOM bridge installed today. Always a bit nervous when a drill bit comes anywhere near a guitar body, but I *think* i got it done without issue. The action at zero bridge adjustment is up off the neck,so I'm hoping the action will still be nice. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Note to self - remember to check this when gluing the neck and shim if needed!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/fyos9-IMG_3352.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

jarrod
12-01-2014, 04:20 AM
I had the same problem with my prs Gav. Didnt check it and glued the neck. I ended up skimming some off the bottom of the bridge so it can sit lower.

gavinturner
12-01-2014, 04:41 AM
@Jarrod - yeah we live and learn. This was my first set neck and because I didnt have the bridge posts already drilled I imagined that I could set the neck first and then worry about it (turning one job into two). Turns out I was wrong! I'll definitely know for next time ;). I think the action will be OK but maybe not as low to the deck as it could have been.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
12-01-2014, 06:28 AM
colour looks darker in this pic Gav, love it. Sure the bridge and action will be fine, this is going to be one speccy axe when complete !
Can't wait to hear the GFS pickups and if they sound good I'll order some

gavinturner
16-01-2014, 03:50 AM
hi guys,

wet-sanded the devil's oil down to 1500 grit today and got another thinned coat on over it. Tried thinning the oil with Shellite instead of Mineral Turps. Seemed to work a treat. Gav posted a hint a while back that Shellite can be used in your devil's oil to get rid of the greebles that build up over time (due to oxidation etc). This it does! Thinning with Shellite seems to serve both purposes at once - thinning and cleaning up..

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/9jxu7-IMG_3380_1500grit.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/841p8-IMG_3381_1500grit.JPG

Anyway, the wet-sanding is paying off and she's starting to look nice and shiny now.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
16-01-2014, 04:02 AM
spectacular finish!

crundes
16-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Looks fantastic Gav, love the Tru oil finish. I'm curious as to where you get it from? Had a quick look online and could only see products listed in the UK and another bunch of guitar forums struggling to find it too. Is there a supplier in Aus? After seeing a number of finishes like yours I'm seriously considering a Tru oil finish rather than Satin top coat. Looking forward to more pics the Florentine!

wokkaboy
16-01-2014, 07:26 AM
@ Gav, looks sensational mate, you have the high gloss finish down to a fine art now !
@ Tim, I will probably have to spend another week in the naughty corner but here's the link for Tru Oil, its actually made for gun stocks and it's available from magnumsports and local gun shops.

gavinturner
16-01-2014, 07:35 AM
@Tim - I was buying it from Magnum Sports in NSW. I got some from them only a month or so ago:

http://magnumsports.com.au/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=103

but they seemd to have disabled the link at the moment. you could call them and ask them what's what. it was $24 for an 8oz bottle.

it is also listed on the NSW rifle association website, although 12 months ago when i tried to buy it it was out of stock:

http://www.nswra.org.au/products/Tru%252dOil-8oz-liquid.html

can also give them a call and see..

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
16-01-2014, 07:54 AM
thats right thanks Gav, I couldn't remember where I ordered it and googled the manufacturer. I got mine from Magnum sports as well.

Analyst69
16-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Love the way this guitar is coming out.

I wasn't convinced about this kit before, but after seeing how you have finished it, I really think this is a kit I need to have a shot at too.

Can't wait to see it complete and hear it too.

Cheers

Darren

Brendan
16-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Some of your local gun shops have Tru Oil I got mine in Joondalup...

crundes
16-01-2014, 11:51 AM
@ Wokka, Brendan and Gav, Thanks for the info might have to check that out. Is it applied in the same way as Wudtone? Sorry for making you risk time in the naughty corner! But if you get a finish like Gavs I'm sure it'll be worth it?! I guess I'll probably be joining you all too shortly...

Brendan
16-01-2014, 12:40 PM
I did - pretty much exactly. Go with thin, thin coats applied with a rag. Some say use your fingers or pour gallons of the stuff on - I'm happy with just a couple of thin coats - nice and light and easy. I'll generally give it about the same amount of time that Wudtone would to cure and give a nice and hard coat.

gavinturner
16-01-2014, 08:16 PM
@Stan, @Wokka, @Tim, @Stan, @Darren - thanks guys, it's really coming along now.

@Tim - Robin posted a great description of how he goes about finishing with Tru-Oil. You can find his instructions here:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=602.2

As far as my own technique goes, I pretty well follow the same technique, but also I wet-sand every 5 layers or so with decreasing grits. After 800 grit I then tend to thin the tru oil 50:50 with Mineral Spirits. When the last coat is on I rub it with Colortone cutting compounds from Stewmac.

It's pretty easy to do really. There's also a stack of YouTube videos on the subject, but if you are nervous just give it a go on a piece of Pine. Tru-oil isn't expensive if you can find it locally. Remember that it's is a slow process though so dont get disheartened!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
16-01-2014, 09:31 PM
here is the lowdown on Tru-oil from Scott at Magnum Sports:

"Hi Gavin,

We still stock Tru-Oil however we have removed it from the web site as we are no longer able to ship it due to Australia post regulations on flammable/combustible items, we can arrange a dangerous goods courier however there freight prices start around $120+ so I imagine it would need to be a sizeable order to make it worthwhile for yourself.

It is still available for local pickup"

Well, that's one mystery solved. They are in Roseville Chase for anyone in the greater Sydney area.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
17-01-2014, 03:33 AM
OK, so the thinning with Shellite experiment was a disaster! Since Shellite evaporates faster than Turps, using it has the opposite effect than that desired. The thinned Tru-Oil dried twice as fast not twice as slow leaving streaks in the finish where it didn't have time to settle. Wont be trying that again. now it's back to the wet-sanding to get those pesky marks out....

cheers,
Gav.

crundes
17-01-2014, 07:37 AM
That sucks about your finish Gav, I'm sure you'll have it looking fantastic in no time though! Thanks also for the info from all forumers re Tru oil, have found a local shop that stocks it in Melb. Was interesting reading DB's take on it. The possible downsides don't sound nice... I may stick to a few coats to begin with as he suggests in the thread.

Cheers
Tim.

wokkaboy
17-01-2014, 08:04 AM
@ Gav that sucks to find out the hard way, unlucky mate, just a bit more work to get it back to how it was, sure you will get the finish you are after !

Gavin1393
17-01-2014, 08:34 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on January 16, 2014, 12:33
OK, so the thinning with Shellite experiment was a disaster! Since Shellite evaporates faster than Turps, using it has the opposite effect than that desired. The thinned Tru-Oil dried twice as fast not twice as slow leaving streaks in the finish where it didn't have time to settle. Wont be trying that again. now it's back to the wet-sanding to get those pesky marks out....

cheers,
Gav.

Are you pouring the Tru-oil from the bottle into containers that you will use and closing up the container tightly and storing upside down thereafter, or are you pouring constantly from the bottle? How old is your True-oil? I have used Shellite on both Wudtone and True Oil and never had an issue. So sorry to hear about yours though.

gavinturner
17-01-2014, 09:31 AM
@Gav: no I pour out into a small container that I use for the current coat. I used Shellite very successfully after your suggestion to use it in the removal of greebles in the oil! However for this purpose - thinning the oil so that it laid down flatter it didn't work for me. It may well have been that when I thin I use a heavier coat, but whatever I do I find turps works better for me. Maybe the longer evaporation time of Turps allows me to have a few more wipes at it the oil before it gets tacky - those few extra wipes probably caused the ridges in the shellite mix. Dunno.

Cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
23-01-2014, 09:26 AM
hi guys,

Got my gold decal from our very own Andyport today and slapped it on. It looks awesome, and will look even better when the gold hardware goes on! Can't seem to get a decent picture of it, but this will have to do.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/q16qe-20140122_20-18-02_decal.jpg

cheers,
Gav.

MetalMatt
23-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Just adds to the classiness of it all, very nice.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to send Andyport an email about some decals for my guitars, can you repost his email (I think it was posted before but I can't find the thread).cheers

gavinturner
23-01-2014, 10:41 AM
@Matt - Andy's business email is citysigns@internode.on.net.

Cheers,
Gav.

Gavin1393
23-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Andy's decals are simply brilliant. Put some on my guitars tonight and I love them! Which reminds me...I need to email Andy and thank him personally, but in the meantime some public recognition for his excellent work and a recommendation to anyone wanting quality decals not to hesitate for a moment to contact Andy!

lawry
24-01-2014, 09:23 PM
This is an awesome looking guitar Gav. I think it mentioned once before that I'd love to play some jazz on it. To me it's just screaming jazz/blues.

gavinturner
24-01-2014, 09:38 PM
@Lawry - thanks man. It's a really great kit and it's coming along nicely. The clear coats are taking an age to get finished, but I can't wait to have this thing together and twanging. Of course what I will end up playing on it will be largely a travisty ;).

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
24-01-2014, 09:51 PM
That's cool. My jazz playing is a bit of a travesty in itself. Hehehe.

gavinturner
02-02-2014, 03:09 AM
hi guys,

Well, my tru-oil has cured for a week and now it's time to start polishing with Colortone compound from Stewmac. Got it rubbed down with 'medium' grade today (my aching shoulders!) and have 'fine' and 'swirl remover' grades to go. I'm already happy with the level of shine.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/geovj-20140201_14-08-36_small.jpg

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/316m1-20140201_14-07-53_small.jpg

Just a few more days to go and the finish will be done. Then I can concentrate on the wiring!

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
02-02-2014, 05:14 AM
That's a nice deep reflection you've got happening there. Can you use Colourtone on Wudtone?

gavinturner
02-02-2014, 05:59 AM
@Lawry - Thanks dude. Yeah I've used it on Wudtone and it shined it up quite nicely. It's like any other cutting compound - you just need a thick enough clear layer to begin with.

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
02-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Cool. I may give it a try sometime. It sure has made the florentine shine!

stan
02-02-2014, 10:00 AM
wow looks great Gav, you and AJ need to start a guitar finishing business after this and his scratch build effort....

gavinturner
02-02-2014, 10:41 AM
@Stan - thanks for the kind words, but it's not a patch on AJ's effort. I am learning though! One of these days I'll produce a build where all the stars are aligned and everything goes right ;). Not yet though - I'm getting there, but I'm not there yet! Still a lot of luthiery black magic yet to learn...

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
02-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Wow, that really does look superb Gav, shiny as.
I'm sure a lot of us are going to end up looking like crabs....
....one huge arm from all the polishing. :D
My JM will be ready for the shiny treatment in a weeks time.
You must be stoked with it so far...looking brilliant!!

Cheers
Andy

gavinturner
03-02-2014, 03:32 AM
hi guys,

@Andy - yeah thanks man. It's getting there!

I finally finished the polishing today - and so on to the shielding and fitting the first of the controls - the 3-way switch. I wired it up using 4-core shielded wire from Stewmac. The installation went pretty smoothly using the aqauarium pipe method - it only took 3 tries to get it in!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/5c7z0-20140202_12-55-36_small.jpg

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2rz73-20140202_12-57-14_small.jpg

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/895p1-20140202_12-57-40_small.jpg

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
03-02-2014, 03:34 AM
... and here is the bugger finally seated and happy.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/459e7-20140202_13-04-01_small.jpg

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
03-02-2014, 04:51 AM
... and I didn't stop there. Once I had one piece of hardware installed I was like a man on a mission. And very soon after (well more like 3 hours later) all the hardware was installed.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/98751-20140202_14-09-51_small.jpg

Just the wiring to do now (eeek!) and I'll be done with this one.

Cheers,
Gav.

WeirdBits
03-02-2014, 04:55 AM
It's looking good Gav, lets hope you never have to remove it (the switch). Is your bridge ground in place? I can't see it in the pic so I'm hoping it's just tucked out of sight, or are you grounding via the trapeze?

gavinturner
03-02-2014, 05:23 AM
@Scott - thanks dude. Yeah I've soldered a wire from the bridge post to the pickup cavity shielding and from there out to the body. The wire is just inside and can't be seen in the photo.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/72v0g-20140202_16-09-50_small.jpg

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/g12g2-20140202_16-09-35_small.jpg

Here's a couple of more photos of the hardware in place.

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
03-02-2014, 05:37 AM
That looks better and better every time you update Gav.

gavinturner
03-02-2014, 05:49 AM
@Lawry - thanks dude :) .

cheers,
Gav.

adam
03-02-2014, 06:06 AM
Wow. Yeah, just Wow. Hey, if you're going to enter this in GOTM for March, do us a favour and enter at the end of February so you don't scare the others off.

gavinturner
03-02-2014, 08:39 AM
@Adam - thanks for the kind words. Still got a few days work left on it, and I've got to travel for work in a week or so, so I might not get it done for March. We'll see. Nice to know it might be in the running. But we'll have to see! I hear a whisper that certain divas in the community may also have guitars ready so I might be scared off for March as well ;) .

Cheers,
Gav.

adam
03-02-2014, 10:01 AM
You heard him guys, "divas"! Thems fightin' words... bring it on!

gavinturner
03-02-2014, 10:12 AM
LOL. ;) ;) ;)

Well technically a male diva is a divo - but around here that's still reserved for the 80s geek rockers (ignoring the italian spelling of course)

Maybe I could stretch to 'virtuosos' ???

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
04-02-2014, 02:52 AM
wow Gav that looks sensational, after all the issues you had must be good to get it almost completed. How is the action and how does it play, any fret buzz ?
Sure it will be a very strong contender for March GOTM, not sure which card I will play, I should have a choice of 4 axes to enter by end of February.

jarrod
04-02-2014, 05:12 AM
That is firking awsome Gav. I want it dude

lawry
04-02-2014, 08:07 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from jarrod on February 3, 2014, 14:12
That is firking awsome Gav. I want it dude

I saw it first. Get in line!

gavinturner
04-02-2014, 11:26 AM
@Wokka, @Lawry, @Jarrod - thanks for the compliments guys. Fortunately (for me!) this one is staying right here! Just the wiring to go, but that seems a little daunting at the moment. Need to psych myself up for it. The action is a little high Wokka, but I haven't done a new nut for it yet. I think it will be more than playable, but still a little higher than I like... I guess I'll have to wait and see on that score.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
05-02-2014, 03:22 AM
hi guys,

Well I should have been working today, but who can cut code when the guitar is sitting over on the bench wanting some TLC? Not me. Instead I got the wiring harness done. It's all but complete, but I haven't actually tested it with the actual pickups/switch etc. I did test each wire as I went to make sure there were no shorts to ground so fingers crossed it should be OK.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/4619c-wiring_harness_small.JPG

As far as the circuit was concerned I used 50's vintage wiring with the independent volume mod. I also plan to add the treble bleed mod, but I'll wait until I can hear it actually strumming first to make sure it will sound like I want. The hardware is all custom, with CTS 500k pots, orange-drop caps and a Switchcraft output jack. Luxury!!

This is the first time I've used this 'Shielded Push-Back Wire' from Stewmac to build a wiring harness. I've gotta say that, whilst I haven't actually got the wiring harness in through the F-hole yet, once I got used to using this particular type of shielded cable I quickly grew to love it. So much easier to ground the shielding than the plastic coated 'Shielded Circuit Wire' from Stewmac that I used on my last 2 hollow-body builds. Just solder it straight to the backs of the pots. Brilliant!

Anyway now I need to head to Jaycar to get more heat shrink tubing before I can start to connect her up and test. I can't wait to hear these GFS Dream 180 pickups scream!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
05-02-2014, 03:59 AM
looks very well done Gav, very tidy, sure it will work fine. That shielded push back wire sounds good. Bet those GFS pickups will scream. Lets hope you get it finished before you go away.
Wish I had the option to build guitars rather than go to work !

gavinturner
05-02-2014, 08:07 AM
@Wokka - thanks dude. yeah really looking forward to hearing these Dream 180s! The CTS pots I used for the harness are alot larger than the stock ones so I'm hoping this isn't going to be a problem come installation time. Only time will tell I guess. Time to get that aquarium pipe out again!

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
05-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Hey Gav. If it ends up too hard trying to put the stuff inside, perhaps you can just blu tack them on the outside and make a feature of it 8-)

gavinturner
05-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Ha! Don't tempt me. :)

Cheers,
Gav

wokkaboy
06-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Gav all that tidy wiring preparation you have done inserting it should be easy. Look forward to seeing it complete and a sound demo

gavinturner
06-02-2014, 04:36 AM
hi guys,

Well, today was the moment of truth - the day any builder of a semi-hollowbody guitar dreads. It's the day when that carefully prepared wiring harness gets delicately inserted, and then not so delicately inserted, and then literally shoved and jimmied with multiple screw drivers, into the guitar's body cavity until somehow the pots miraculously appear where they are supposed to.

It took me 5 attempts. All of them generously peppered with expletives. But, finally, I got the bugger in! In the end I used 5mm aquarium pipe for the furthest pot from the f-hole and all the rest i used a combination of fingers, screwdrivers and appeals to various deities. As I expected, the CTS pots were indeed a source of much frustration. They were high enough so that if they sat flat against the bottom of the cavity they got wedged against the top. I had to push them in on their sides to get them to move at all. @#$%@#!! Anyway, it's done now and I'm a very happy camper indeed.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/446uz-IMG_3481_small.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/ib71c-IMG_3483_small.JPG

With much trepidation I then soldered up the harness to the pickups and the switch. Viola! This baby makes noise. There's a lot of wire in the cavity (if you look from the right direction you can see it) but I'm not about to fool with it too much. I may go back and trim the wires up at a later date, but who am I kidding.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/sh67m-IMG_3484_small.JPG

@Wokka - I did try to make a sound demo for you guys, but I really am the worst guitar player on the face of the earth! After 10 takes of mainly profanities I gave it up. I might try again tomorrow.

On the plus side, the action actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be! It's pretty damn good actually, truth be told, and once I have the nut height down where it should be, this baby should be sweet!

So anyway, this build is almost finished! I still need to do a full fret level and there's a new bone nut to create. I just ordered a new tool from Stewmac - the 'Safe Slot Nut Guard' (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Special_tools_for:_Nuts_and_saddles/Safe_Slot_Nut_Guard.html) so I'll wait for that to arrive before doing the nut. I also need a truss rod cover. I'm thinking about a cream perloid one but I need to find a cheap scrap of pickguard material to get that done. I guess I'll be trolling ebay for a while. There's cheap(ish) LP pickguards available on there so I might have to buy one of those and carve it up.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
06-02-2014, 04:44 AM
... and here she is with her buddies. Settling in nicely!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/126yf-IMG_3491_small.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

pablopepper
06-02-2014, 04:45 AM
Great stuff Gav. This one is outstanding.

gavinturner
06-02-2014, 04:48 AM
@Pablo - thanks Craig! Yeah I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. It's a great kit.

cheers,
Gav.

adam
06-02-2014, 05:33 AM
Really lovely guitar Gav and a stunning collection.

I see you've got a 12 string ES guitar there, was that a kit? I only ask because I have some of those on order for April arrival and wasn't sure how they would go, but they do look nice.

adam
06-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Hey Gav, are you thinking about taking some close-up shots of the finished guitar? If so, I'd love to do a Facebook spread on our FB Page, but maybe not until our ES-1GT kits are back in stock, in a couple of weeks. Between this one and Andy's wine red one a couple of months ago, we can't get enough of these kits.

wokkaboy
06-02-2014, 05:38 AM
well done Gav, must have been a tough job finishing that wiring but main thing its done. Looks amazing, no wonder you are stoked. DB showed us the SM nut safe guard and they work well. Don't stress about the sound demo, doesn't have to be anything fancy, just strum a few chords clean/dirty with neck and bridge pickups.

gavinturner
06-02-2014, 05:46 AM
@Wokka - thanks dude. Yeah I'll try again tomorrow ;).
@Adam - yeah the 12 string was a kit. a really nice build!

I will take some photos of the ES-2T guitar body in the next day or so. Wont be 'finished' for a little while yet, but that's all neck and headstock stuff. I'll shoot some photos of the body to you as soon as I have them.

cheers,
Gav.

adam
06-02-2014, 05:49 AM
That's ok Gav, wait 'til she's finished and then take some snaps. As I say, I reckon we'll get a rush on these kits once we put up some photos of this one, and we won't have stock for at least two weeks, maybe three.

keloooe
06-02-2014, 07:50 PM
The LPAS (Les Paul Acquisition Squad) are on their way to steal that guitar and the Junior... Anything that is Les Paul shaped are mine!!!

Oh and Gav, Stone Temple Pilots dropped out of Soundwave, I'm so sad now :(

gavinturner
06-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Thanks Call..I mean Pest! Now I know I've done a good job :) Bummer about the Stone Temple Pilots, but Green Day are still on the bill!

cheers,
Gav.

WeirdBits
07-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Great job on the wiring Gav. The guitar looks amazing, very nice indeed, congrats.

gavinturner
07-02-2014, 04:07 AM
@Scott - thanks dude!

cheers,
Gav.

stui
07-02-2014, 06:16 AM
That's one purdy guitar. I already wanted one of these, but this build diary has just increased that desire. God I wish I had some spare cash, but this guy seems to be draining it:
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/aext4-image.jpg

gavinturner
07-02-2014, 08:18 AM
@Stui - thanks man. That's one cute future guitar builder you've got there!

cheers,
Gav.

adam
07-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Looks like you already have a couple of cash drainers there Stui. And yes, they are very adorable.

stui
07-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Hah, just the one at the moment Adam. The other in the pic isn't mine. Although the wife is starting to get clucky again :?

gavinturner
11-02-2014, 12:29 AM
hi guys,

Just a small update from me before I head OS for work. Finally got the fret's levelled and re-crowned on the weekend and the fretboard treated with Dr Ducks. It's looking really nice now. 8-)

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/9ulep-20140210_11-26-52_small.jpg

To level the frets this time around, i used a combination of my aluminium straight edge and a radiused (wooden) sanding block from Stewmac. In the past I'm not sure how close I kept the frets to the 12" radius that they should be, so hopefully my job will be better this time. I alternated between the block and the straight edge as this levelling progressed. I would dearly love one of the aluminium radiused levelling beams from Stewmac, but the price - ouch! Once complete, a quick check with my fret rocker didn't highlight any high or low spots. Time will tell how she plays!

I also managed to find a sheet of cream perloid 3-ply scratchplate material on ebay. Once I return home I'll use it to create a custom truss rod cover to match the pickups.

I did myself a quick play test with the stock nut and the GFS Dream 180s sound really great. As soon as the bone nut is on, i'll record a sound demo video to share..

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
11-02-2014, 01:23 AM
looking amazing Gav, look forward to seeing this complete and a sound demo. I'm looking on the GFS website for some pickups now !

gavinturner
11-02-2014, 01:27 AM
Thanks Wokka!! see you guys in 3 weeks, unless you like posts about Bavarian beer halls, Um, Um, I mean ..., work related stuff.. ;)

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
11-02-2014, 02:29 AM
where you off to Gav, Germany ? sounds awesome. Some of the best beer in the world is brewed there, I'm jealous. Keen to see some pics of any breweries. So presume this build won't be ready for GOTM March, don't want to be up against this awesome build !

gavinturner
11-02-2014, 03:32 AM
@Wokka - yeah Munich first for a long weekend then Basel Switzerland. Munich is one of my favourite places on earth. No chance of March GOTM for this one. It will be April for sure. Will FB the long list of different beers consumed :).

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
11-02-2014, 04:00 AM
sounds like a fun work trip Gav. I'm keen to see any beery pics at Munich !

adam
11-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Prosit, Gav. I lived in Munich for 6 months when I was 16... even went to school there for a while. Great city.

stan
11-02-2014, 10:18 AM
this is such a quality build!

gavinturner
11-02-2014, 10:56 AM
@Stan - thanks dude! @Adam - prosit to you and all. In a day or so I will raise a litre in honour of all at PBG!

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
11-02-2014, 11:26 AM
All the best Gav...very envious of your little OS jaunt.
Have one for me as well!

BTW...The ES is quality all the way, you've done a top job on this one.
Kind of glad you won't be entering her for March GOTM, as I think my JM will be ready.
Man, that is one seriously good guitar...talk about wow factor!!

Cheers
Andy

gavinturner
11-02-2014, 11:10 PM
@Andy - ok you've convinced me to have *another* litre ;). It will be a struggle but i think i'll manage. Thanks for letting me know about the JM. Please have it ready for March, I don't relish the thought of competing with *any* AndyPort build for GOTM. Thanks for your cooperation :P

Cheers,
Gav.

lawry
14-02-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm in agreeance with Wokka. Need pics of beer halls. Have a ball, mate.

gavinturner
17-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi guys,

A big PROSIT! to all my friends on the PPG forum from Kloster Andechs - my favourite place in the whole Munich region. Here in this hilltop monastery the monks still brew the local specialty - dopplebock - a dark double strength Mana from heaven. Don't worry I'm having enough for everyone!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/5x0td-image.jpg

Cheers,
Gav.

lawry
17-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Looks like you're having a whole chook too!
I love dark ales/stouts etc. so you better have a double double for me Gav.

Andyport
18-02-2014, 12:44 AM
Hey Gav,
Hope you packed some clothes that are a bit more generous around the girth.
By the look of all that beer and food, you may need them!! :D :D

Looks like you're enjoying yourself...pretty hard to take, no doubt.

Cheers
Andy

gavinturner
05-03-2014, 02:39 AM
hi guys,

Back home at last, and straight back into the man cave to create a bone nut for this beast. Got to use my new toy from Stewmac, but I have gotta say I'm not too impressed with it. Following Stewmac's own nut basics guide, i was able to use this new jig to draw a line on the nut blank at the fret height+0.030. However, when it came to drawing a second line above this one at the height of the thickest string, the jig wouldnt take all the feeler gauges required. The slots cut in the sides of the jig weren't big enough! What a gip - thanks Stewmac.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/f9jb5-new-toy.JPG

Anyway, despite this little set back, the nut was created without too much trouble using the rest of my Stewmac nut making and slotting files and was subsequently added to the neck. Looks good!

I also received an order in the mail from eBay while i was away. I wanted to create a custom truss rod cover to exactly match the cream perloid in the GFS pickups. Well, I thought I ordered cream, but it looks like I got white instead (or too white for this project at least). I created a cover out of it, just to see what it looks like, but it really is too white.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/0j5ho-cover-compared-2.JPG

It looks OK, but I would much rather have one that's the correct colour. Consequently, i've got more material on order. Hopefully I'll get a better result this time around!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/7a884-cover-in-place.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
05-03-2014, 05:08 AM
Hey Gav, must be good to be home, welcome home mate !
Bummer about the Stewmac clamp and the pearloid pickguard material being white instead of cream. Just let me know which month you are entering it in GOTM and I won't bother entering ! haha
I'm checking out your 3rd RC-1 video now !

gavinturner
05-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks Wokka! Yes, if I were you i wouldn't enter GOTM. No really - don't enter. Please don't enter?? That way I might have a fighting chance??? :) :)

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
05-03-2014, 07:52 AM
haha nice one Gav, this kit will have a very good chance of taking out GOTM April if its ready in time

lawry
05-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Welcome back to OZ, Gav. Bet you're still sloshing.
Yeah, but of a bummer the toys weren't what you expected. But the quality of your build is stunning. Now that you're back you can entertain us with this thread again.

gavinturner
05-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Thanks Lawry :). It's good to be back. Went a bit stupid for a couple of weeks (and still had to front for work each day! oops). Now carrying the spare tyre to prove it. Got some serious recuperating to do! It is amazing how much guitar building you can get done at 3am when the jet lag kicks in!

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
05-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Welcome back to planet earth Gav!!
Thought all that beer and food might take it's toll. :?
Never mind, bet it was good while it lasted.

BTW the florentine is looking superb...really excellent job.

Cheers
Andy

gavinturner
05-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks Andy! I'm just glad it isn't up against your paisley powered super build. Now that baby is what I call a work of art!

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
05-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Welcome back to Oz Gav, let's see if we can go up against each other in GOTM (if your ES-2T is finished in time that is :P )

stui
06-03-2014, 02:10 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from lawry on February 17, 2014, 04:30
Looks like you're having a whole chook too!
I love dark ales/stouts etc. so you better have a double double for me Gav.
Given the photo was taken in Bavaria, I'd bet my wages that isn't a chook, but a big fat joint of the tenderest juiciest pork you could ever wrap your chops around ;)

gavinturner
06-03-2014, 03:33 AM
@Pest - that sounds like a challenge!! Why do i feel like I just got slapped with a leather glove??? :P You bet - let's go head 2 head!!

@Stui - yep you got it dude, the biggest, juciest, most scrumptious Schweinshaxen in all the greater Munich area IMHO (drool) :).

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
06-03-2014, 05:29 AM
hi guys,

the last piece of hardware for this build arrived today. gold strap buttons - luxury! 8-)
now just waiting on the replacement cream perloid to make that pesky truss rod cover..

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/yf52p-back_button.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/7u22n-top-button.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
06-03-2014, 06:16 AM
looking very classy Gav the gold strap buttons. Damn don't you hate it when the last piece of the build is waiting for a postage item ! Worth the wait mate and there's still plenty of March left to enter April GOTM.
sounds like Pest is throwing the challenge out there !

stui
06-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Quote from gavinturner on March 5, 2014, 12:33
@Stui - yep you got it dude, the biggest, juciest, most scrumptious Schweinshaxen in all the greater Munich area IMHO (drool) :).

cheers,
Gav.
I miss Germany :(

keloooe
06-03-2014, 08:11 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on March 5, 2014, 12:33
@Pest - that sounds like a challenge!! Why do i feel like I just got slapped with a leather glove??? :P You bet - let's go head 2 head!!
Can't wait to see how this will turn out!

gavinturner
07-03-2014, 04:40 AM
Thanks Pest. Two red beasts for the April GOTM! Woot!

cheers,
Gav

quiet1_au
07-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Wow! As a soon to be (if not already) future resident of the "naughty corner", I'm impressed with the shine you've gotten, as well as the wonderful colour and figure in that semi-hollow body Gav :-) (If only it had a couple less pegs/strings ;-) )

gavinturner
07-03-2014, 11:52 AM
@quiet1_au - thanks John! Looking forward to getting this baby finally complete. Dunno about the fewer strings, I don't tend to leave the top 4 much anyway!

Cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-03-2014, 04:51 AM
looking forward to an update/photos of this beast Gav, must be your best build so far, worth a 6 month stint in the naughty room I reckon ! The gloss finish you achieved is amazing.
So whats the wait on the cream pearloid material for the truss rod cover ?

Don't ever enter an axe into GOTM without a truss rod cover, ask the Gavmeister !

gavinturner
08-03-2014, 08:24 AM
@Wokka - dunno, it's coming from China. I ordered an LP pickguard that I'm going to cut up. Hopefully won't be too long, but I reckon another 2 weeks :(. Hopefully still in time for April GOTM.

cheers,
Gav.